Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly this game seems to fall into that 1% of un-emulatable games, iv'e tested most of the emulators with the exception of RertroArch as i can't seem to be able to get that trash of a program to run properly.
But other than that this game just won't work properly, in worst cases it glitches and the main menu and freezes, in best cases ePSXe, PCSX, Xebra it runs but there are no sound effects, which some may say it's a minor issue but i would disagree..
Here's how it should play.
And here's how it emulates.
I once asked an ePSXe dev about this years ago during development of ePSXe 2.0 as there were some issues with audio tracks playback on some games like "Medievil 2" to summarise somewhat he said that "Monkey Hero" is a mess of a game beyond even his comprehension, or something like this.
So i'm wondering if anyone had better luck with this game?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sure, I made some tests! :D
Code:
bizhawk using beetle psx. - hangs after "press start" screen
mednafen 1.22.1.......... - hangs after "press start" screen

ePSXe 2.0.5 only native.. - no sound effects
xebra 2018-12-24a........ - no sound effects

pcsxr-pgxp DSound 1.9*... - some sound effects
* PCSXR-PGXP + Common Plugins + Common Shaders: PCSXR-PGXP-2019-02-13.7z
https://www.ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/page-46#post-2724895

It doesn't need "SPU IRQ - wait for CPU action (Valkyrie Profile & MGS + SPUasync)", neither "SPU IRQ - handle irqs in decoded sound buffer ares". I'm using this, cause this is my default setting, and it doesn't affect the game.

It needs its folder to be manually created:
PCSXR-PGXP\memcards\games\MONKEY

Code:
File...: Monkey Hero (USA).bin
CRC32..: 1549ABF2
MD5....: 07FD6C2CAF2C70EC59F417F5AD3D8157
SHA-1..: 59F715232A889D52E08FF0B5004C7DDB203C0C16
Source.: http://redump.org/disc/3154/

FILE "Monkey Hero (USA).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
*there is an european version: http://redump.org/disc/1134/ [not tested!]

The result:

cheers!

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice to know that there's at least one emu thet can run this game properly.
Thanks.
As for EU PAL copy I've tested it, same results.

·
"New" Member
7 Posts
This is a bit of a late post (since I was looking for ways to get MH to work today), but thanks for that video showing all the plugins you used, Monkey Hero was always the most elusive to get to work on an emulator!

But I can confirm that it also works on ePSXe just fine as well. You just need that P.E.Op.S Sound Audio Driver 1.9 plugin shown in the very beginning of the video (and you don't have to touch the secondary settings within it). I had an inkling that was more likely the issue than the emulator itself, so I just copied over that plugin to ePSXe's plugin folder, and I was right!

So yeah. PCSX and ePSXe will run it pretty flawlessly with both music and sound with that plugin installed.

Thanks again for that, this was always an old favorite of mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts