Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking into buying one of those fancy 4k HDR screens but I dunno which.
It is mainly for my PC and PS4 pro.
I mainly game on the PS4 so I don't need super low latency or high refresh rates.

So here's the thing, I would like a 27-32inch screen, preferably a monitor but all I keep finding are fake HDR screens, 8 bit + fcr, and they're usually 300nits screen when for HDR you need 1000nits supposedly and monitors with real 10 bit HDR are 2000$+

I could get a TV for about 400$ with real HDR but they're all 50+ inches, so a bit to big for my desk.

Any advice and or recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
15,433 Posts
the lowest size for most tv brands for 4k is 43". I believe LG has 4k tvs in 40". Yea you aren't going to get a monitor at 10-bit with high enough nits for HDR for below $1500. Its not really fake HDR its just useless HDR without local dimming.

If you are on a budget I recommend a TV.

I currently use a $1200 34" 3440x1440 144hz ultrawide monitor, 8-bit + fcr and 10-bit, wide color gamut, but only hdr400. Oh I didn't pay full price.
I used to use my 50" 4k tv as my monitor before I went back to monitors

·
Not a Registered User
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lowest size for most tv brands for 4k is 43". I believe LG has 4k tvs in 40". Yea you aren't going to get a monitor at 10-bit with high enough nits for HDR for below $1500. Its not really fake HDR its just useless HDR without local dimming.

If you are on a budget I recommend a TV.

I currently use a $1200 34" 3440x1440 144hz ultrawide monitor, 8-bit + fcr and 10-bit, wide color gamut, but only hdr400. Oh I didn't pay full price.
I used to use my 50" 4k tv as my monitor before I went back to monitors
Well I'm not on a budget per se but i'm not gonna drop 2k on a screen, and if I did wouldn't it make more sense to buy an OLED 4K HDR TV? Thou again the issue of size 55+ inches.

·
Administrator
15,433 Posts
Well I'm not on a budget per se but i'm not gonna drop 2k on a screen, and if I did wouldn't it make more sense to buy an OLED 4K HDR TV? Thou again the issue of size 55+ inches.
I wouldn't get an oled tv if you are going to use it as a monitor because of image retention and burn in, but oled monitors will be a thing in 2020 so maybe by then those 2 issues will be solved.

·
Not a Registered User
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't get an oled tv if you are going to use it as a monitor because of image retention and burn in, but oled monitors will be a thing in 2020 so maybe by then those 2 issues will be solved.
Is that still a huge problem thou? And it's not like LED are perfect either with thier backlight bleeding.
OLED monitors will be surely extremely expensive at first probably, and there's the micro led which supposedly even better than OLED and with no issues since it it's organic but the first micro led screen is supposedly sold at 50k so yeah.

Currently I'm looking at.
LG 27UK650-W
LG 27UK850-W
And lastly, thou less likely.
LG 32UD99-W

1 - 5 of 5 Posts