Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a new monitor (either now, as a christmas present for myself, or see what the January sales bring).
Been having my eye on Samsung 2443BW]this Samsung 2443BW.

Basically what I want from my monitor is..
Good colours.
Height and tilt (forwards/backwards) adjustment.
Low response time (are there any worthwhile monitors above 5ms? :p).

Viewing angle is not so important, since there's only 1 person looking at it 99.99% of the time.
And I'd prefer 1920x1200 resolution.

Soo... Should I be getting this monitor, or are there better ones at the same price?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Personally I say get yourself a big HDTV 1080p (gotta be 1080p, not 1080i). If you do, go for 37" or bigger. I know it's a mission and I know it's expensive, but using a computer on such a display is awesome. It's really comfortable and it's good for entertainment. I think that once you try it out, you'll never go back.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
If you're a gamer, i suggest heading over to the 22inch monitors and picking up a samsung 120hz monitor for the same price. makes a big difference to me from 60hz.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
If you wait a bit, LED backlit monitors will be dropping in price.

From what i hear Samsung is planning on having the majority of their tvs as LEDs backlit next year. So LED tvs will be at a much cheaper price point compared to now, and so too will the LED monitors. Should be around feb or march that we see the 2010 models coming.

LED baklight are capable of much higher contrast ratios then ccfl backlit lcds.

I'd suggest getting a monitor that isn't a Twisted Nematic panel whatever you do. LED backlit can be twisted nematic.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
I Just recently Bought an Samsung 2443BW, and i can recommend it for it's price-range.

I am quite picky with picture quality myself, and came from a 19" CRT, and were skeptical to go LCD because of that.

After about a week of research and reading up on a lot of things, i deiced to take the leap and go for the 2443BW 24", and after some adjustments i am quite happy with it.

a small con is a slight horizintal non-vsync looking slight tear in some games, but it a minor thing considering.
And normal-res (xvid or otherwise decoded movies for instance) is not that nice up-scaled, but to get that right you'd probably want to
use a Normal-res tube-television with s-video or -> a smaller res display, but one can live with that since higher res films are becoming standard.

After some day of tweaking i have these settings (which at least makes _me_ love this display):

-----------------------------------------------
The Actual Monitor Settings:

MagicBright -> Custom

Brightness: (Custom) -> 60
Contrast: (Custom) -> 96
Sharpness: (Custom) -> 64

MagicColor -> off

Red, Green & Blue: 50
Color Tone: Custom
Color Effect: Off (Naturally)
Gamma: Mode1

Nvidia Driver Settings (Might Differ On Ati-Catalyst and others of course):

Brightness: 40%
Digital Vibrance: 78% (this is a killer for colours, on ati you can substitute it somewhat with the Saturation setting, even if it isn't totally alike)
Contrast: 52%
Gamma: 0.97
Hue: 0 (Also Naturally)

------------------------------------------------

I am very pleased with this monitor after some tweaking, and even my pickyness is satisfied mostly :)

The monitor looks very nice with photos and in games, especially high res such.
16:10 is a nice tradeoff, the slight borders on 1080p movies, or other 16:9 is not a bother at all, and can be nice for subtitle-space even.

All that needs to be done then is to adjust brightness/contrast or gamma in whatever movie-player you have to not get to bright (grey) borders (i Use mplayer-smplayer gui).

I also consider 24" to be a good spot for a pc-monitor, since having a too large display is cumbersome if you do not want it meters away, since it is for day to day use most likely.

Good luck whatever you choose though,
and i hope this is of some help :)

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And normal-res (xvid or otherwise decoded movies for instance) is not that nice up-scaled, but to get that right you'd probably want to
use a Normal-res tube-television with s-video or -> a smaller res display, but one can live with that since higher res films are becoming standard.
Some series that I watch on my computer now are 624x352 or a similar size (~350MB per 45min episode), either that or it's 720p/1080p.
But usually when I watch those, I play emulate Final Fantasy, Pokemon, or I do some stuff in my browser in the meantime ;) More space is always preferred though.

I've also started buying a whole lot more blu-ray videos, so the extra size is beneficial :D

I also consider 24" to be a good spot for a pc-monitor, since having a too large display is cumbersome if you do not want it meters away, since it is for day to day use most likely.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,455 Posts
I would buy a >=122Hz Monitor for 3D vision.You will want that!

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
indeed they are. Acer is coming out with a 22inch 120hz monitor i believe. I would recommend going with them, as they will be cheaper than samsungs probably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.