Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered MSX user
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Demi Fiend has been banned for more than eight weeks. He was banned, because he had flamed skoreanime and called him a "pathetic Sony fanboy":

I'll only stop when you stop. Sony fanboy. You think you're the only one with opinion here don't you ?? You're pathetic. I just want to let you know.. You're opinion don't mean **** to me. And I don't lose my nerves, unlike you. Wanna know why ?? Because I have conviction and you don't.
I believe that Demi Fiend deserved warnings and maybe a little vacation, too, but did he really need that much? In my viewpoint, I wouldn't mind if somebody would call me a "pathetic Sony fanboy". That's pretty mild. It doesn't sound like a libel.

We have forum rules and they warn about flaming, but we have different viewpoints on what is flaming.

Let's say that there is User 01, who puts false statements about other people's sexual preferences in the forums. So that is not flaming at all? It depends. In my viewpoint it is libel towards other users. Very harsh one and in my viewpoint, the worst thing one could say to other person is to call straight person a manlover.

A real case: In spring, there was another user (User 02) who got surprised when some users were fallen for a girl in a painting at "Perpetual Desktop Thread". He expressed his feelings by saying it in a way that some people might misunderstood:

WTF!! Did you guys come in your pants just by looking at that?!?!

It isn't even remotely attractive
User 01 replied with a straight libel:

Only user 02 would be gay enough to enquire about the states of a mans pants.
Then came User 03, who understood User 02's real meaning: User 02 prefers real photographs of girls over paintings and he was only showing that. User 02 is not a manlover, but was misunderstood. User 03 went between the guys and pointed to User 01, that he must be wrong:

I believe that you guys have misunderstood at some point what U02 was trying to say. - ...Whatever is the case, let's let him to explain.
User 01 did not like that and he blackmailed and insulted both User 02 and User 03:

This brings me to the conclusion that user 02 and user 03 are manlovers.
User 03 is not a manlover either. Some proof: he had enquired photos of Japanese and Hong-Kong (female) boobs, when one other user had asked what kind of boobs he should post next time in the Bin. User 03 was also one of those users who had disliked Lord Budweiser's photograph where he had posed with a towel. :spy:

User 01 got not even warnings of what he had done. Later he was banned for a short time of something which is considered pretty natural behaviour here.

I bet there has been similar cases in the history of these Forums. It is alright if some users gets mad at some point and call others "idiots" or "stupid fools" for example, but going that far... Putting out false statements about other people's sexual preferences... That I find not acceptable at all.

Demi Fiend has boiled sometimes and done some flaming, but as far as I remember, he has never said anything real sick about other people here.

It's even worse when those false statements will stay on boards forever. Some people are so sensible that they may take a lie as a fact. It is just my opinion that blackmailing other people should not take too lightly. I have even that little respect on other people that I wouldn't never call even my worst enemy as a manlover. "Idiot" would be the strongest word I would use, if I'd mind.

It is easy to forgive if somebody would call other person an idiot, but, calling other person a manlover will be remembered for the rest of the life.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Putting out false statements about other people's sexual preferences... That I find not acceptable at all.
Hmm... you know that this is greatly cultural dependent right? Not every culture and person out there takes this kind of things seriously (and in some cultures considering being called a manlover an insult would be an insult in itself, and you would have all the gay right advocates at your throat :p). Which makes evaluation of this kind of issues all the more difficult. For the most part I think that the admins consider the context and intention of the user in question wen evaluating whether a flame merits some kind of warning. (Is there real malice? Are they just playing around? etc.), and for the most part they have kept the boards civil all these years, though I recon that sometimes I see bin like behavior leaking out of the bin. Yuck.

If you disagree with what the admins have decided in some particular case you can always go ahead and PM them with your concerns. However the rule of thumb for boards over the internet is to never take what is thrown at you seriously.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Demi Fiend was being a disruption on more than one occasion, he ended up with a temp ban at the time. However when he was temp banned he created additional duplicate accounts and started a bunch of trouble.

The other staff should be able to clarify the reason(s) behind their decision.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
He was formerly temp banned for flaming after being warned several times.

since then.

• He has created several new accounts.
  • Harassed people in PM.
  • Harassed Members via MSN.
  • Started more flame wars with the dupe account.
  • Made threats against members, and the forum itself.

His welcome here has expired.

·
Registered MSX user
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, things like that are greatly cultural dependent and that's why it's so hard to say what is flaming or not. In the first case, it is sad how hard skoreanime took Demi's words and after that he haven't been around. skoreanime is Canadian.

I have noticed some joking with sexuality here now and then. In the Bin, for example there was going a discussion about "man boobs" in the same thread I mentioned above and the guy who was thrown in the middle of it had a girlfriend. Everybody knew it and it was just playing around and having fun between those fellows. The latter case seemed serious in my viewpoint, because it erupted from a bad misunderstanding. As a non-native English speaker, User 02 had taken wrong words. User 01 didn't have a thought about it and that was how it started. There was no joking in the case.

Maybe I, as a European see sexuality as an object which is not for joking. I have noticed that Americans are more free-minded in talking about things like that.

Thanks, Xtreme2damax for telling more details. I haven't heard about Demi's duplicate accounts. Now it makes more sense, why his vacation has lenghtened. Squall got more proof to show.

Probably talking with admins in difficult cases is a good choice. We just have to live with our cultural differences and it would be good to talk about them more. It's impossible to make forum rules which suits perfectly for every culture.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
his thing with skore was only the tip of the iceberg, i was the one that issued the temporary ban but i changed it to a permanent one due to the various reasons squall has already brought up.

i tried to give him a chance, and i do that for just about anyone, but he had been warned about his behavior numerous times by both me and other staff members and once he started making duplicate accounts and posting spam i cut the cord on him.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
well skore did threaten to bail if demi's behavior kept up and because of that, he did end up leaving unfortunately. i tried to talk him out of doing it but it appears that the problem between him and demi got too far under his skin and he lost intrest in coming here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.