Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking to do a little upgrade for my motherboard/cpu/vga, you can see them in my sig, I'm thinking to replace them with:

- 754 socket Motherboard
- AMD Sempron 3000+ (Not sure about this, is it slower than my Athlon XP? should I get a Newcastle instead?)
- ATi X800GTO video card.

So, is that upgrade worth it? Will I get a decent boost compared to my current rig (on gaming of course)

I'm kinda out of pace on the pc hardware side since my move to dialup so any suggestion would be appreciated ;)

· Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Go socket 939 A64 venice core 3000+ with an MSI K8N-Neo2 board, cheap solution and a better boost using an agp video card.

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reichfuher said:
Go socket 939 A64 venice core 3000+ with an MSI K8N-Neo2 board, cheap solution and a better boost using an agp video card.
But no PCI-E slot? I'm very interested in X800GTO to replace my 9800Pro, maybe a cheap 939 MB w/ PCI-E?

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
didamangi said:
But no PCI-E slot? I'm very interested in X800GTO to replace my 9800Pro, maybe a cheap 939 MB w/ PCI-E?
Don't always look for the cheapest solution, or the best solution for that matter.
If you are interested in an ATI graphics card, why not get a Crossfire motherboard with an ATI chipset?

Socket 754 is going to be discontinued pretty soon. Also, it isnt a real good choice since there isnt much room for upgrading.

· Registered
1,936 Posts
get the asrock dual sata mobo since it's around $70 and supports agp and pci express slots for video cards.

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Master Chief said:
Don't always look for the cheapest solution, or the best solution for that matter.
If you are interested in an ATI graphics card, why not get a Crossfire motherboard with an ATI chipset?
Well if I don't search for the cheap (preferable) or the best (unlikely) then what do you think I should search for? I probably should say that I'm looking for a budget products, and that's why I chose ATi X800GTO, because of the price/performance ratio and it fits my budget.

Crossfire has not entered Indonesia (AFAIK) and I think it's not a budget product. (Again, limited budget here ;) )

Master Chief said:
Socket 754 is going to be discontinued pretty soon. Also, it isnt a real good choice since there isnt much room for upgrading.
Yeah I think you're right, probably should go with the 939 socket and cpu on that one.

dukenukem said:
get the asrock dual sata mobo since it's around $70 and supports agp and pci express slots for video cards.
Interesting, I'll do a search for it. Thanks.

· カラム
365 Posts

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link man, but I think I'll hold off the upgrade for now, after some consideration I'm just gonna replace my gfx card with a 6800GT and added some ram.

· カラム
365 Posts
No problem. A 6800GT is fine. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.