Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is Courier, Microsoft's astonishing take on the tablet.

Courier is a real device, and we've heard that it's in the "late prototype" stage of development. It's not a tablet, it's a booklet. The dual 7-inch (or so) screens are multitouch, and designed for writing, flicking and drawing with a stylus, in addition to fingers. They're connected by a hinge that holds a single iPhone-esque home button. Statuses, like wireless signal and battery life, are displayed along the rim of one of the screens. On the back cover is a camera, and it might charge through an inductive pad, like the Palm Touchstone charging dock for Pre.

Source

Now this looks cool.

Would love to play with this.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
WOW, WOW and WOW.... as you guys know am one of those few developers that loves graphics design... i was impressed by the iphone but this one definitelly kicks iphone´s ass!!!

{me is going to get one of those when is out :evil:}

·
Meow Meow Meow
1,401 Posts
This looks seriously awesome. The artist in me would want a pressure-sensitive stylus, but it's not like people couldn't do ridiculous stuff without it, that DS paint program has proven this.

So developing MinWin has really broadened their horizons. :)

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
This thing would definitely be awesome for making site notes during inspections or for making quick site sketches, or for any other kind of field notes. Me really, really want.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice seems this caught your attention guys.

Actually this is more like a response to the rumor of the Apple Tablet that might be announced soon.

Seems MS is taking the Zune and Windows 7 route, in getting devs support for the device so they release it with some library of apps.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
So developing MinWin has really broadened their horizons.
where does it say that it has the minwin kernel?

and indeed thats neat. my boss who has a hp tx2 tablet was astonished.

that is the future guys. humanity carved messages on stones, then in papyrus, currently on cellulose and now we're going to silicon.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Problem is whether the processing speed of whatever chip it's using (looks likely that it's using a next-generation ARM CPU to me) is up to the speed of doing all those funky stuffs so smoothly. Chances are it'll be choppy as hell or dead slow sometimes, and then the novelty would wear off quickly. Also battery life is a factor. :p Yes, I'm staring iPhone in the face. iPhone 3GS kind of remedied some... but not perfectly.

Though since it's Microsoft, I guess we can expect more oomphs out of the pre-installed apps and the OS itself as a whole. I have no doubt that the software will deliver... but the hardware doesn't look too promising to me.

^= Earlier in concept stages... :innocent: Seems like it's running Windows Embedded. Choppy and slow as heck, though.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
I'm sure if they slap in a Snapdragon CPU in there it should handle the tasks alright.

Cheers for the update Silenus, still am very excited for this, some of my workmates who I showed this too also want to get their hands on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.