Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit...this is probably the most stupid question that anyone could ever ask.I had many stupid questions...many many times...I know.
But I was just wondering today...is there anyone who still uses Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 with the .NET framework version 1.0?
I programmed few projects in this visual studio version and I must admit that it isn't so bad like many people say it is.Ok ok it is bad if you compare it with any new visual studio version,including visual studio 2003 lol...
But it's pretty nice microsoft deveopment tool if you ask me.So...anyone still uses Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 with the .NET framework 1.0?
And if yes,why do you still use that version?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
.net 2.0 is dead :p 3.5 is faster (HEAPS FASTER)

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2008,but never really tryed it.I do not intend to use it any time soon because it's applications cannot be executed on older operating systems and that sucks lol.Applications made in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005,2003 and 2002 CAN WORK on older operating systems such as Windows 98 First Edition and so on.Applications made in version 2008 CANNOT work on older operating systems.This is the main reason why I like version 2003,2005 and especially 2002:D(Don't ask why lol)...
By the way,is there a way to make C# applications made in version 2008 to work on older operating systems?Because if not,then I will not use version 2008 any time soon.
Also I like version 2002 because the size of application is smaller then the one in 2003 and 2005.I just built the new windows application in version 2003 and 2005 that has NOTHING on that form window.By default called "Form1".The size of application in the DEBUG mode was 20 KB.
I did the same thing in version 2002 and the size of application in the DEBUG mode was 8 KB.:)
Even the application execution made in version 2002 was A LITTLE BIT FASTER then in 2003 and 2005.Not really a big difference at all.It might be noticable only on very slow and old computers.
But still version 2002 DO have some advantages.

So...anyone still uses version 2002 for ANYTHING or is it really THAT OLD?:dead:
Honestly I like it:dead:

· Banned
35,081 Posts
applications made in VS2008 work fine on older systems. as long as VC9 dll's are present

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True.I read that applications made under the .NET framework version 3.0 and 3.5 and newer CANNOT work on older operating systems.Only .NET 2.0 or older will work on older operating systems...

· Registered
7,407 Posts
The question is: why should devs care about people who can't keep with the times? Windows XP is 8 years old for god's sake; there's no practical reason to use 9x anyway.

· Banned
2,548 Posts
Just because its old, does NOT mean its useless. Win95 is fine for DOS gaming, when you don't wanna use DOSBox....plus, its good putting old machines to good use.

Hence the point. And I hate the bloat that comes with the VC9 runtimes. Linking like that removes that issue. And MSVCRT.DLL is a DLL that always has came with Windows OSes

Yes, some of us do anything to remove bloat.......

· Banned
35,081 Posts
I would rather use dosbox for dos gaming these days.... video cards don't have proper VESA support anymore.... leading to low performance in games which require it for 640-480 - 1024-768 resolutions.

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a funny bug in VS 2002.If the output window and the properties window are set to AUTOHIDE state,after the debug,properties window will not work anymore.To fix that you need to restart VS 2002 or the output window OR the properties window must be set to NON-HIDE state.
So I was just wondering is there some patch or service pack that can fix this so that I do not need to have output window opened all the time???:D
Service pack 1 for VS 2002 didn't really fix this problem...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.