Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this it for anti-virus companies now that M$ has released an anti-virus. I've tried Norton, NOD32 and bitdefender in the past, and I hope this companies get crushed. I use Kaspersky now and im very happy, plus my banks gives it to me for free. Normally I wouldn't care if a company got crushed but because how much BS ive taken from anti-viruses in the past I really dont want Kaspersky to get crashed by M$.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
I've been using MSE for the past few weeks with absolutely no problems. Its free, light on resources, gives the essential protection, and has a simple UI to bring it all together. All in all its a great product, albeit roughly 20 years late.

The paranoid will always remain using third party programs, so it will never lead to the death of antivirus companies. And if it does, it means that people are actually getting smarter... Which all in all is a win win.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
i might just install this on my new build... im not really wanting to install a high level software..... though i don't want it deleting stuff automatically as then half of my downloads folder would be removed *cough*

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
i might just install this on my new build... im not really wanting to install a high level software..... though i don't want it deleting stuff automatically as then half of my downloads folder would be removed *cough*
Don't worry, it won't, at least based on my about 3 months experience with this AV. There's a quarantine, delete and ignore option iirc (been devoid of virus lately) ;)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
Real men don't use antivirus.

But seriously, just don't be an internet noob. The last time I got a virus was back in 1998 with (you guessed it) Windows 98.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
I agree. Microsoft has nothing to gain (monetary-wise) by including AV in Windows. This is more of a move to get Apple to shut up about PCs being "riddled with viruses".

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Cheesus you liar! 50MB's is not light on resources! and thats just the service >.>.

Kaspersky only uses half of that....

Don't worry, it won't, at least based on my about 3 months experience with this AV. There's a quarantine, delete and ignore option iirc (been devoid of virus lately) ;)

Thats only if you disable the Apply Recommended actions tick box in default actions amirite?

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
Thats only if you disable the Apply Recommended actions tick box in default actions amirite?
Nope, I never tampered with the default tick. iirc MSE still offer me what to do with the files and with "severe alert level" the recommended action was to disinfect but it still gave me an option to choose (not automatically delete it, though you can make it do it if you want it to).

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I have the same idea with you. Great! Thanks for sharing. :cool:
Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.:lol:
What?

Oh, right... spammer.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
in bed with your mom's daughter's mom.
warning:divide by zero attempt detected.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
warning: wrong thread squall.

I think this is pretty neat. I tend not to need to use software such as this, but it is mighty nice to have it when other people are using your machine.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
its a Microsoft Thread, therefore its always open to divide by 0 jokes.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I'll see what I'll install. I'll probably be going back to Avira, it's free, lightweight and convenient. It also ranks highly in AV tests, as long as spyware is not included. For spyware I use separate applications anyway. I've been using Kaspersky for two months lately, but it's been more of a bother than a help. Seeing how it's already bad enough Windows asking me everything, Kaspersky would block almost anything. It's terribly counterproductive.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I know, I still have to see whether I will or not. I had to kill it yesterday in order to get ATi Tray Tools to work. It wasn't too much of a hassle doing so. I don't mind having some sort of a protection, but on the other hand, I don't install stuff I don't trust, so it doesn't really matter much for me personally.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.