Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browsing the net i came across a MS project called Natal which aims to read movements from people using a camera. the article is found here now you may ask why am i pissed?????

i´ll explain you.. if you read my post here about the upcomming @ES and check the point #10 you will read this(quoting my post):
10. Movement recognition:
The code isn´t complete yet but when am done it will allow you to connect @ES with your webcam and calibrate it.. once calibrated you will be able to almost fully control the entire GUI, Menus etc. using your fingers.
the thing is i´ve been working on this algorithm since about 9 months now and now they are about to release the same concept??? WTF????

the idea of that is to catch pictures comming from your webcam or any other camera hooked to your pc and do calculation on pixels and determine if something is moving or not.. by catching several pixels you can know if an object, person etc. is moving and in that way interpret things. MS have a big team and that´s the reason why they are almost done with it.. eventhough am somehow pissed because we had the same idea..

anyways i think there´s nothing i can do i guess :mad: i have to recognize there project is a great addition to the 360 but anyways am pissed..

so what do you think about that?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
This simply looks like a copy of the Sony Eye-thingmabob but hyped to look better than the Wiimote. The PS2 Eye Toy could already be used for games.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well honestly I think they have been planning this for a long long time, probably before you thought about implementing it in @es...
I know am not blaming them for that because just as you said they probably planned that long time before i thought on implementing that on @ES but anyways it makes me mad because we had the same idea somehow...when i first thought on it nobody knew that MS had that idea too nor nobody mentioned such a feature before :???:

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
I dont know. I like this a lot more than the wii. In fact i never really liked the Wiimote. You still have 2 controllers on both hands and still have to press buttons. To jump you just flick the controller. You can easly cheat but in here you really have to do the stuff. Kicking, jumping, dancing and the character does it. How cool it would be to use this on Bioshock 2.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
This looks infinitely better than the WiiMote. You've seen Milo/Millie previews yet? The AI is outstanding!

Its been in development for the past 5 years... So sorry @ruantec, they've got you pretty much nailed. Just hope they don't patent the technology or you're in for a hard time if @ES ever becomes super popular.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Actually, it seems WORSE than the wiimote. The issue I have with the wiimote is that it's not precise enough. For fun games, not a big deal. For more serious single player games, you're fighting the control scheme too much. It's too interpretive and not exact like a mouse would be, or to a lesser extent a thumbstick.

This seems like a step in the wrong direction in that regard.

And rumbling controllers, right?
Rumble was a sensory addition. It didn't hinder game control like the wiimote or natal does.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Rumble was a sensory addition. It didn't hinder game control like the wiimote or natal does.
That may be so, but is it any less gimmicky than the Wiimote or Microsoft's newest stunt?

People go on and on about Wii controls being gimmicky without realizing that pretty much every game ever made since Star Fox 64 (or Lylat Wars for those of you in the backwards place known as the UK) makes a little piece of plastic in your hands vibrate to mundane in-game phenomenon as a pretty sour attempt at "realism."

It was introduced as a gimmick, and it took hold and is now standard for reasons that I sure as hell will never ever understand. How are Wii controls (or, likewise, Microsoft's new technology here) any different?

EDIT: @ruantec, I apologize if I am hijacking your thread.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That may be so, but is it any less gimmicky than the Wiimote or Microsoft's newest stunt?
Yes it is. Because it has real use and it's not trying to replace anything that already existed.

Wiimote and Natal are gimmicky because once people use it for awhile, they realize it's an inferior control scheme.
I mean, cmon, look at the horrible input lag on the natal demo. And that's just one issue a control scheme like this would present.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
It is. But you've still got your controller for everything that requires accuracy.

You're not going to use this in a FPS, but imagine you had something like the PS3's home using Natal. Or a game like the Sims. Or just navigating through the (just announced and upcoming) Facebook on Xbox Live.

Its a niche market, but by adding this option to the 360, you're essentially one upping the Wii and remaining competitive with the PS3. It expands the 360s functionality, and even if it is just a gimmick, something like this will pull me over a 100 times faster than any exclusive game.

Microsoft wants to change its image. Technology like this helps it, big time. Through my eyes, its a smart move. Both for Microsoft, and our interactive experience with technology.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You're not going to use this in a FPS
I guarantee you they'll try, just like the wii did.

Its a niche market, but by adding this option to the 360, you're essentially one upping the Wii and remaining competitive with the PS3. It expands the 360s functionality, and even if it is just a gimmick, something like this will pull me over a 100 times faster than any exclusive game.

Through my eyes, its a smart move. Both for Microsoft, and our interactive experience with technology.
It's the kind of thing that will only be put in use a few times a year during the occasional party or something.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Yeah, exactly.

Considering how well the Wii has sold, and that the only reason someone like me would ever buy it is for parties, it makes sense to take over that market.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
When I was explaining to my mum about the camera and showed her the demo video her response was "coooool! I really want to give this thing a go!". My mum doesn't like playing video games as she finds the controllers not to her taste and she is a bit of a techo phobe but for this device to get her interested in games, this new device is obviously targeting a completely new market of gamers, and changing the way in which we can interact with our electronic devices in a less lazy fashion.

Personally I think that Project Natal will be incredible once released, being able to play some new types of games using a completely controller-less device, and with the incredible way it responds (despite being laggy) it should open some doors to new and original game titles (not like those eye toy games, something with a bit more substance).

I honestly don't think it will end up being a gimmick, if Microsoft can get some quality, new gaming experiences it has huge potential to be something great. For those who want to complain about it not being accurate, or whatever, stick to traditional methods of gaming control.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
IGN: E3 2009: I've Played Natal and it Works

The first demo I tried was what Microsoft was calling "Burnout Natal." Though it isn't a real game in development, the mixture of Burnout Paradise and the Natal camera was meant to provide proof that you could use the device's technology for practically any genre or software. How quickly I was recognized into the Natal's body identification system (just a few seconds) was surprising, and in a matter of moments I was controlling Burnout paradise with my feet and hands.

Most of the people around me during the MS press conference were groaning when they showed how a racing game would control with Natal in the aforementioned marketing footage, but truth be told, it's a lot more fun than it looks. Though I did miss the bit of resistance that a controller or steering wheel normally gives me, I was shocked to see how natural it felt to drive a car without actually being in one. How easy was it? To accelerate, I simply moved my right leg forward; to brake, I moved it backwards, and to pop it into a neutral position, I just stood straight up (or as straight as my spine would allow me to stand after 12+ hours of E3 spelunking). Driving was just a matter of pretending that I had a steering wheel in my hands, and every subtle movement I made was picked up by the camera allowing me to drive pretty well (and pretty straight) for the few minutes I got to try it out. As an added bonus, the motion for going into Burnout mode was an appropriate Top Gun Volleyball fist-pump. The whole experience was surprisingly fun and I walked away with nary a bad thing to say (which is quite an accomplishment, because normally I complain a lot).
So we can play racing games at least.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.