1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Micro$oft Gazelle browser, ServiceOS

I just received this in my mailbox

Microsoft Shows Off Experimental Designs for OS and Browser

(...) Most ordinary Web surfers don’t realize that when they log in to their bank’s Web site while chatting on Facebook and answering Yahoo mail, the applications are not protected from one another. So a bug in Facebook can infect the application that’s paying the bills. Because the Web applications also have direct access to the operating system, an application gone rogue can also rummage through a person’s files and send out data over the Internet.

Even if a software program running in the browser isn’t infected with malicious code, it can still cause problems by hogging system resources, Wang says. For example, a misbehaving Web advertisement can monopolize processing power, memory, and network bandwidth.

To fix these problems, Wang proposes rethinking both the operating system and the browser. The architecture of most operating systems, including Windows and Linux, harks back to the era when multiple users shared a single mainframe computer. The systems were constructed so that people couldn’t access one another’s data, and an application being used by Alice wouldn’t interfere with another being used by Bob.

Wang says that instead of protecting people, the operating system should protect applications from one another. She and her colleagues have developed ServiceOS, a new operating system that manages security policies and resource allocation and exists as a small layer of code between Web applications and traditional operating systems, like Windows. For example, ServiceOS could decide that Facebook can send data only back to Facebook or that Adobe’s Flash cannot access any files.

(...)
The Gazelle Web browser, which is also being developed by Wang and her colleagues, will implement the security policies set by ServiceOS, isolating different applications from one another. What’s special about Gazelle, Wang says, is that “it is the first browser that is built with an operating system mentality.”

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Put it back!!!!!!! Put it back!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Yeah but there are two ways: the dirty way (which microsoft's uses every now and then) and the right way.
I've never really noticed anything particularly dirty out of MS. I've seen them make unpopular decisions, sure. But dirty? Naw.

They're just on top, so people want nothing more than to see them get knocked down.

and the right way.
I guarantee any successful business has pissed people off on their climb to the top.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Your right Spyhop. Its impossible for a juggernaut company like Microsoft to make money without people complaining about it no matter what business practices they adopt. People just love to complain about a whole bunch of nothing.

Anyway, sounds rather cool and might introduce a few new things into the industry that could go along way.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
well, the key i got activated perfectly fine.

Upgrade from RC to RTM went nicely (using the cversion hax)

even installed the Catalyst 9.8 beta (ya yah, i'll get the new version that gets leaked from quakecon >.>) and it installed an updated SATA driver... i thought that was nice :D.

Discovered that the reason i couldn't play age of pirates was because Tages driver was not compatible... quick update from their site fixed that.............. and still has issues with 256 color Dx games..... but oh well.. crashing explorer solves that.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
And stop spelling Microsoft with a $. That's bloody asinine. Everyone tries to make money.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Been saying it for years.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I've never really noticed anything particularly dirty out of MS. I've seen them make unpopular decisions, sure. But dirty? Naw.

They're just on top, so people want nothing more than to see them get knocked down.
The majority of Windows's till XP no complaint, vista and millennium well launching defective products ain't a good thing (well at least with vista its been significantly improved and from SP1 it turned out to be a good OS especially tweaked, though its requirements where set to high IMO).
Xbox360 RROD and there guarantee service lacks.

Though don't get me wrong i credit them where they deserve: Xbox was excellent, windows 7 again wonderful, there live system pretty damn cool. Of course money should be/is there objective but it should come with quality service for the price that is being paid.
I guarantee any successful business has pissed people off on their climb to the top.
Yeah EA is pretty good example here.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Vista wasn't defective at all. At the time, it was the most tested OS prior to release by a large degree. Hardware vendors were just slow with driver support, which Vista got blamed for when customer's computers wouldn't work properly. It wasn't MS's fault at all.

To prevent a repeat incident with Windows 7 Microsoft insisted that vendors have Windows 7 drivers ready by July, or they would stop digitally signing their Vista drivers.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
no, it was entirely microsofts fault that vista was as poor as it was.
they ignored 60% of the testing community who were practically shouting ITS NOT READY.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And stop spelling Microsoft with a $. That's bloody asinine. Everyone tries to make money.
Geez, now the thread is completely deranged because of that. For the record, I think I'm past my Linux fanboy stage when I berated MS for every living step they took, however the M$ just remained stick there. There's nothing profound there though. :heh:

Still, I'm always for shifts in paradigm and all. Specially for some reason I see this coupling well with stuff like cloud computing.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
o_o... dunno why the sarcasm, but of course they do computer science research. There's a small group of them that routinely sends papers to SIGGRAPH (the most important computer graphics conference in the world), and several computer security conferences.

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
My point was that the minute Microsoft does something "different" (ie. not Windows or Office) people jump to all kinds of conclusions, usually negative ones. A few researchers whip up a concept for a web-based OS, and suddenly "Microsoft is abandoning Windows." People are still asking if Win7 has MinWin. Heck, people still think it has WinFS.

Microsoft dabbles in lots of different things. There's likely huge file cabinets full of half-baked projects that never got past rudimentary research stages deep in the bowels of Redmond. I'm sure the vast majority of things they research ends up on the "cutting room floor" like this.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Microsoft Word got banned in the USA XD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.