Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could of sworn I made this post before, eather it was deleated or the board is screwed up or I'm going insain:eyes:

I've got metal gear 1 for nes and it sucks. The graphics suck, it's hard to control and the enimies automatily see you. Is there any other/better version of the game??

I've also got a rom of MG2:SS. IT says it's for some MSX concle or arcade thing or something anyone know what that its and what emulator I need. The rom is some .bat file. I have no idea how to run it. How do I or is it for another system????? Is it on psx like they did with ff2/4, ff3/6, and ff5????

Btw, I'm almost done MGS:):):):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've got metal gear 1 for nes and it sucks. The graphics suck, it's hard to control and the enimies automatily see you. Is there any other/better version of the game??
gee.. those are hard words. way back metal gear was great I know plenty of people who enjoyed it, and remember it is in nes only 2 buttons, no analog + force feed back for sure it'll suck if you compare it to mgs but if you were a true gamer from way back you'll consider metal gear a classic.

and about the other version of the game.. there is an msx version but it is in japanese and it is pretty much the same, some even said the nes version was better.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
yeah.. You really have to be around back then playing games to really appreciate what we have today.. Sheesh, what more did you expect from a nintendo? hehe..

Back then, all I knew was to blow into a nintendo cardtridge or nintendo system slot to make it work.. Alas those days are gone, and I have too many responsibilities to attend to nowadays.. I envy my kid.. He is going to grow up with a father that knows and will give him video games..

Maybe years from now, when he gets older, he will appreciate having the PS5 and playing with a full Virual Reality helmet going online to meet people head to head for a game of Virtual Quake 5 Arena..

Then he will wonder back to when he only had a ps2.. and realize how much fun he had with those old television screen games.. :)

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmmm

Sounds as if someone has gotten spoiled by the eye candy of current consoles..

Metal Gear 1 was originally released for the MSX computer..the computer was released only in Japan and some areas in Europe. ..It was later released under the Ultra label for NES...the gameplay for both are identical, but the NES version felt the strain of some editing and bad translation (The notorious "The truck have started to move" line )

Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake was released on the MSX2 computer and never released in the US...though it is emulated..see the link provided above..

These were great classics....give it a chance....The guards do not automatically spot you...you can hide behind walls...avoid cameras...used infared goggles to avoid tripping lazer alarms....If you don't have a silencer..do not shoot ...of course they will detect ya then.....
It starts off slow..but when ya find the weapons and items..and the storyline progresses..it gets better

And stay away from an NES game called Snakes Revenge....it is the bastard child of Konami

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Dark Watcher is saying Snakes Revenge is the bastard child of Konami because Konami released it for NES as the sequal to Metal Gear, but it doesn't actually fit in with the Metal Gear story line and it wasn't written by Hideo Kojima(creator of the Metal Gear series).

Actually it makes me wonder how Konami even had permission to make that game.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by Dark Watcher
Sounds as if someone has gotten spoiled by the eye candy of current consoles..

Metal Gear 1 was originally released for the MSX computer..the computer was released only in Japan and some areas in Europe. ..It was later released under the Ultra label for NES...the gameplay for both are identical, but the NES version felt the strain of some editing and bad translation (The notorious "The truck have started to move" line )

the first part was released in europe on MSX as well, with an equally bad translation ;) The second one was only released in japan on msx, but many people imported it. Fans translated the game.

Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake was released on the MSX2 computer and never released in the US...though it is emulated..see the link provided above..

These were great classics....give it a chance....The guards do not automatically spot you...you can hide behind walls...avoid cameras...used infared goggles to avoid tripping lazer alarms....If you don't have a silencer..do not shoot ...of course they will detect ya then.....
It starts off slow..but when ya find the weapons and items..and the storyline progresses..it gets better

And stay away from an NES game called Snakes Revenge....it is the bastard child of Konami
Having played Metal Gear 2 on MSX first, I didnt find MGS all that impressive. Most of the things were already done in metal gear 2 (including soldiers hearing noices, crawling through ventilation shafts, etc). Maybe that's why MGS sold better in the US than in Japan.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmmm

Looks similar to the NES version since the handheld has it's limitations..the graphics a bit better though...and you have al weapons (except the stinger ..we think) from the PSX version...You also have the ability to stand behind walls and peek over at who is coming....a good GBC translation....

Metal Gear 2 for MSX did in fact fill in some of the storyline in MGS...and indeed a lot of things such as the radar...knowing were to walk lightly...low crawling ..etc appeared on it first....we highly recommend it to fans....but don't expect amazing GFX

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by Dark Watcher
Looks similar to the NES version since the handheld has it's limitations..the graphics a bit better though...and you have al weapons (except the stinger ..we think) from the PSX version...You also have the ability to stand behind walls and peek over at who is coming....a good GBC translation....

Metal Gear 2 for MSX did in fact fill in some of the storyline in MGS...and indeed a lot of things such as the radar...knowing were to walk lightly...low crawling ..etc appeared on it first....we highly recommend it to fans....but don't expect amazing GFX
true, allthough when it came out they were pretty top notch, heh ;)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
heh, I keep digging up old threads tonight...

I just bought a mag titled "blast! presents Video Game Yearbook 2001 to 2002"
The whole thing is about all the current consoles and upcoming games, based on the contents of gamespot.com

they included an article called "The History of Metal Gear Solid" which I cannot find on gamespot.
It has the plot summaries and short reviews of the games mentioned above.
Check it out on newsstands.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by takwu
heh, I keep digging up old threads tonight...

I just bought a mag titled "blast! presents Video Game Yearbook 2001 to 2002"
The whole thing is about all the current consoles and upcoming games, based on the contents of gamespot.com

they included an article called "The History of Metal Gear Solid" which I cannot find on gamespot.
It has the plot summaries and short reviews of the games mentioned above.
Check it out on newsstands.
Hehe... You can read all the stories of those old Metal Gear games in MGS for the psx..

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
but they dont tell you what the games were like :)

BTW, I do prefer the PC verson of MGS. Maybe until one day some emulator perfected emulating the PSX version.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts