Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Iori's plug-in mostly, but Pete's latest SPU is the only one able to give a perfect sound during cut scenes in MGS.

Voices and sound effects are also working OK with this plug-in.

However, I got some troubles with the music which is very slow and when using in combination with Pete's D3D video plug-in I encounter some pictures freezings. These doesn't occur with Pete's software.

I got an Athlon 600, Ati Rage 128 (I know my video card sucks), 128 Mo RAM.

I'd like to know if someone got the same problem or a way to improve this.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
However, I got some troubles with the music which is very slow and when using
in combination with Pete's D3D video plug-in I encounter some pictures freezings.
These doesn't occur with Pete's software.
As I've exlained in that long and tiresome spu 1.11 version.txt, MGS is very stingy about the
spu irqs... maybe your system can't hold the right game speed, and the spu irq timing gets
screwed.. I've played MGS several hours during my tests, and I never had a freezing, though.

Maybe I should talk to calb about that issue (if he ever will crawl out of the hole he is hiding in
right now), he could add something like that F4 SIO irq trick to epsxe, so you just have to hit
a hotkey when the freezing is happening.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those freezings are pretty strange:

they doesn't occur during cut-scenes (which are perfect) which, if I'm not wrong, use the game engine and aren't FMV, but they happen during moving the character.

Another funny thing is that the picture freeze, but the game is still playable: sounds and action keep going on. And there's also someting else I must precise: it's not the entire screen which is frozen, there's still some movements noticeable in the radar part.

Something I forgot to tell is that I'm using the video plug-in with these settings: 1024 x 768 , 32 bits.

Maybe it's a bit too much for my card to handle with the IRQ queue you add in your SPU plug-in.

I'm going to make different tests in lower resolutions and in 16 bits mode.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer and for your marvelous work.

MERCI BEAUCOUP ! :)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hmm, I consistantly get freezes during the converation with President Baker (after I defeat Revolver, but before the FMV).
I just have to push the start button to go on.

I've tried epsxe 1.4.0, epsxe 1.0.1, epsxe 1.2.0 and it's consistant.
The disc is clean...zero scratches, I've also tried ISO, and running it under Pete's CDR in Windows98, also same thing happens under window 2000 & windows XP (Final retail release...um like it fell off the back of a truck and I picked it up).

Here are my specs:
1 Ghz AMD
Geforce 2MX
256MB RAM
AC 97' VIA sound codec (built-in...but sound's good to my tone deaf ears har har)

also here are some other observations
-Voices during the FMV cut scenes sound scrambled REMEDY: Disable PC FPS calculation.

-120FPS manual Frame limit has the codec mouth motion correct (but sounds are off)

so far, FPSE 0.9 in Interpeter mode + Iori's 1.48 SPU + Pete's OGL 1.52 (with PC FPS calculation OFF) has the voice/codec dialouge almost dead on. (it just has problems ending FMV sequences).
However Pete's SPU with epsxe does sound better; no sound breakups during the in-game cut scenes.

Finally I think epsxe itself must be handeling sound in a way which is causing the slow background sound in MGS, because this doesn't happen with FPSE in Interpeter mode for some reason.

Still doing more testing....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts