Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having trouble saving after switching from disk 1 to disk 2.

I have never been able to use savestates and I'm not going to either.

It's the same problem always when pressing ESC and then continuing.
The sound is gone and when I try to use the codec (save for example)
the emu freezes.

I have tried OpenGL 2.6 and it's the same problem...

Specs GFX:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.75
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce4 Ti 4600/AGP/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8B8A8
- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 3
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- 15 bit FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Screen cushion: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Specs SFX:

P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.8 with both upper boxes checked, XA enabled, SPUasync, PSX reverb, Gaussian interpolation. Both XA boxes checked and SPU IRQ - wait for CPU action checked

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
I have never been able to use savestates and I'm not going to either.
good, they dont work with MGS (well at least in my experience they dont; the sound wont come back when you load the state)

so, when it asks you to put in disc 2, you need to go File--->Change Disc and then it prompts for the next disc; it's self explanatory after that. it will go back to the game and if all goes well, MGS should tell you "press start to continue" (i think that's what it says).

if that doesnt solve your problem (you didnt really describe it so im just taking a shot), then please describe your problem in more detail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey hushypushy I'm not that noob ^^

Yeah I've always used the change disc feature and afterwards I pressed Start and then I'm back in the game, I can play without sound, but the problems arise when I try to use the codec. As in, I can't save. Because the emu freezes after I call someone.

I did say that it was when I press ESC and then goes back to the game (in however way) and as far as I know there is no in-game hotkey for disc change. :cry:

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
Are you using ePSXe 1.5.2? If not, please do cause that version of ePSXe supports MGS better (at least the sound works properly with no gliches). Also I recommend using Eternal SPU for sound (tho it shouldn't make any difference when it comes to saving).

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Hey hushypushy I'm not that noob ^^
sorry, some people actually are, you'd be surprised :p

hmm, what's interesting is that the problem you describe is the same problem i get when i use save states. whenever i use save states, the game has no sound and is all screwed up. you said you arent so i'm not sure what it is.

see if snake785's advice works..and if not...

are you playing off CDs or ISOs?

·
All Heroes Must Die
60 Posts
I got the same problem months ago. and i tried many times to go through, but no result.
then i wondered why konami did not put a save game question before we changed disc
(with Mei Ling asking Snake maybe).

but yesterday i played mgs again and i've managed to continue to disc 2, with some
"tricks". i finally manage to go to disc 2 when i use ePSXe 1.6.0, PEOPS dsound and also i use PEOPSs cdr plugin so i can change the "real" discs easily, though i generally play the game from images.
i can't remember exactly step by step how i was able to do it. but here are what my bad memories in my head say:

1. in the end of disc 1 (snowfield after defeated Wolf), i save to memory card. and
same as Nilli, when i enter the Furnace on disc 2, no sounds came up.
2. then i play mgs straight to disc 2. then i load the game from memcard, i pick the
last one i saved (that's Snowfield). of course, the game will ask to enter disc 1
again. so i switch the discs using file--> change disc, and return to continue epsxe.
3. in the game, i entered the Furnace. the game asked again to switch discs. i switch
to disc 2 again and continue epsxe.

to my surprise i can hear confirmation sound from the game as i press "START". and i
guess i was successful, and i did. after that i can save to memcard using CODEC, and
every save state i made on disc 2 has no problem when i load it.

i'm sorry if it's not correct. i'll try this trick again to make sure it's correct. but
i did manage to continue to disc 2. anyone manage to go through disc 2 using this
"tricks", please reply.

btw, if anyone need mgs memcard file on disc 2 i got some. but sorry can't post it
right now, cause i'm using public computer this time. maybe next time i'll post. (i got
snake had his NVG, thermal G, mine detector and everything to beat the game quite
easily).

i used to switch audio plugins (peops and eternal) to experience which plugin is better
for the game. and that made me wonder if there's any incompatibility issues between
eternal and peops dsound. cause the states i made on each plugin had no sound when i
load it using another. or maybe i just screwed my config :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Iso's. When I try 1.5.2 it doesn't matter, it's screwed up anyway.

I have tried other plugins to insanity... gah

I tried using Omen's memcard from another thread here and it worked. but it was like cheat or something. 999 claymores and stuff like that.

Plus, I hate when I can't do things myself.

If I can't get around this problem then I'll stop playing mgs or something, maybe quit this emu-stuff too. (actually buy those new PC games or something! :O )

·
All Heroes Must Die
60 Posts
METAL GEAR SOLID SWITCH DISCS PROBLEM
First, i would like to apologize for my previous post which is not 100% correct. Even now i realize, it can be considered as a "trick". When i got home, I tried what i've written again. But then i feel like a dumb, cause it's not working.
But now, Here are my experience (and now i'm completely sure it'll work, cause i've tested it more than 5 times and always work):
I think I was incoincidently checked "Enable SPU IRQ hack" on Config Sound window (on my first successful try that made me write my previous post, but too bad i didn't memorize that).
i notice that "Enable SPU IRQ hack" always disabled everytime we open Config Sound window, even if we have enabled it on our previously.
Today i just tried my luck by enable it. what surprise me, it made me go to disc 2 with no trouble at all (i got the sound and of course, no freeze when using CODEC).

So my suggestion is,
"Just check the "Enable SPU IRQ hack" on Config Sound window everytime we want to switch discs".

it works on both Peops and Eternal. also, it has nothing to do with GPU plugins, cause i tried on Peops Soft and Petes D3D/OGL/OGL2.
But remember to enable that SPU IRQ hack.
Try it yourself and tell me if it works.

btw, i use an *.img.bz (on mooby) for disc 1 and an ISO image for disc 2. it helped me save times to switch between the two discs. Also i use epsxe 1.6.0 instead of 1.5.2.

Try it yourself and tell me if it works. and if so, i hope that calb, Galtor, _Demo_ would mention MGS as a game that need "SPU IRQ hack" on their ePSXe documentations.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well i played the game for a bit using a special config of Eternal (and of course disablign the exterior SPU IRQ hack--that one is for the internal plugin) and i had no problems. however i never got as far as disc 2 so i really cant comment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts