Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
With a new fast video card the PSX and PC games look very similar. They look close enough that I wouldn't recommend one over the other in terms of graphics. However there are other things to consider such as the blur effect that's missing on the PC version, and of coarse ePSXe cannot play the mdecs w/o crashing. Right now I would rather play MGS on the PC and get all the cutscenes, but with time I believe that ePSXe(or maybe some other emulator?) will be able to play the PSX version perfectly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Originally posted by ToM_E
How come when I run it, it says The game crashed previous thingy and running in softerware mode and doesnt run at all. It just starts with a black a screen and just stays that way. Any help?
yes, reboot...it will start again and it will reprofile your system. Exit the game. Start again, change the resolution, it will now restart and give an error, but it will still start. Now exit the game, reboot the computer again (always do after a ddhelp error) and it should work normally. I dunno why the game does that, it didnt do that with my voodoo2 (when I still had it). I had the exact problem you described when I reinstalled it yesterday.
Another problem is that for some reason the stealth effect consumes lots of power. If you turn FSAA on, better turn that effect off, because you will have major frameskip. Oh yeah, if you read the "about" in the options you will see that there was worked on psx graphics emulation. Probably the game makes use of some sort of partial emulation. I actually think many ports do this, because in many console ports you're not able to change a lot of graphics settings. This also explains the dubious screenshots with enhanced textures on the mgspc; I think they aimed for reprogramming the game at first, but this was probably too time-consuming, so they did direct porting instead.

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
The PC version is good but I have problems with mine and I cant run it. :( If the controlls were easy like the PC version I would say the ePSXe emulated version was better. The Graphics are better and all...but...o well..

21 - 33 of 33 Posts