Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some info about metal gear solid 2

Story
Of course, it's hard to discuss issues of Metal Gear's plot and character development without spoiling major surprises, but it's possible to make a few points in general terms. To start out, the point that should be kept in mind continually: at its best, this game has as much emotional impact as it ever has visually. It is still an affecting narrative. But it doesn't live up to its best standard all the time, and when it falls, it falls hard, creating the game's most significant problems. The problems I have with the tale being told are two-fold -- some of them have to do with exactly what I'm seeing and hearing, and others have to do with the way that is presented. Form and content, in other words, although curiously enough both don't often get it wrong at the same time.

As far as form goes, the most common issue has to do with the Codec screen. This is a brilliant way to get factual information across quickly and efficiently, but it's the wrong setting to hold sequences intended to have serious emotional significance. Metal Gear Solid 2 has, bar none, the best voice acting in the business, but it's not enough to make up for the fact that it's just two greenpolygonal heads flapping their lips on a black background. So many Codec conversations go on for minutes, and they could easily be replaced by a 30-second cutscene that would have far more emotional impact. Wait for a sequence where a character talks about their childhood, and see if you could think of a better way that could have been presented. When you want to move me, you should show me, not just tell me.

And then, on the other hand, there's content. This is a trickier issue, because everyone has their own taste in what they'd like to see and when, but I think it's pretty safe to say that there are scenes, themes, and arcs of character development here that just don't belong. The heavy emphasis on philosophical meanderings, especially in the later movements of the game, are a thoroughly arguable point -- me, I skipped those courses in college for a reason, but the ideas explored are certainly worth the time. Elsewhere, though, there are scenes that needed to be cut, and badly. Just a few short minutes in the editing room, a few meters of footage on the floor, and I wouldn't have to have one absolutely horrible memory about this game stuck in my head forever. Again, when you get there, you'll know.

The rest of the story is a lot less cut-and-dried. The first Metal Gear Solid, however, probably had stronger character development all round, with a more effective motivation for its central villain and clearer personae for the supporting antagonists as well. Perhaps the trouble is that Metal Gear Solid 2 is much more ambitious in its plot construction, and thus has a little farther to fall when it can't live up to that ambition. MGS, after all, was a pretty simple story when you strip it down. The terrorists are the bad guys, Snake is the good guy, the good guy defeats the bad guys, everyone goes home wiser for the experience. It's not hard for a story like that to get hold of your emotions. MGS2, in comparison, is a Byzantine web of deception, with end after end after end played against at least two different middles. Thus, the player's sympathies tend to bounce around a little, rather than settling down and becoming seriously involved with the protagonist for as long as they did in the first game. Our heroes are still our heroes, certainly, but that's only half of it -- the conflict is sufficiently muddled that it's hard to figure out which antagonist to root against.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Presentation:
A slick-as-glass interface and unrivalled cinematic presentation, but some of these scenes needed to go, and badly.9.0

Graphics:
Tell me you've found something better-looking on the market and you're a damned liar. A powerful engine mastered by excellent artistry. 9.8

Sound Great sound design draws effects, voices, and music together into a package that complements both cinematics and gameplay. 9.8

Gameplay:
Tactical Espionage Action enters a new generation in high style -- sharp control masters all-new moves and weapons in a world governed by even smarter AI. The nonviolent emphasis is a real kick, too. 9.8

Lasting Appeal:
Beat the game in 12-15 hours your first time. Play with the toy for hours afterwards. Can you collect all the dog tags? 9.8

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.7

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I bought a PS2 + MGS2 over the weekend. I have to say this game has the most amazing graphics I have EVER seen. There were several time where I had to say," damn, that looks real."
I liked the story, there are definately more plot twists. And overall it seemed more movie-like.

Anyhoo, There is definately room for a sequel.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by liquid
I bought a PS2 + MGS2 over the weekend. I have to say this game has the most amazing graphics I have EVER seen. There were several time where I had to say," damn, that looks real."
I liked the story, there are definately more plot twists. And overall it seemed more movie-like.

Anyhoo, There is definately room for a sequel.
. I have to say this game has the most amazing graphics I have EVER seen.

no doubt abou that...i must buy an ps2...i need to....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts