Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I got some problems with my comp, I tried to deleted some junk files using a software called System Mechanic 4.0 and it detected a file called Memorydump.tmp as a junk file and it was like 4.0gb or something. However, when I tried to deleted it, it doesn't do that but it does other junk files. And after that I tried to rescan my comp again and that memory dump file pop up again but still cannot delete it.

Anyone has any idea what's going on or is there anyway to get rid of that file? My C drive is only like 7gb and that file alone occupied almost 2/3 of my C drive spaces.

My second problem is I just installed Norton Ghost 9.0 (newest version) and I am just wondering is there any way to disable that program on startup cuz whenever I run a program or open a folder, Norton Ghost will scan the program or the file that I open and that usually take at least 10-15 seconds.
So any idea?

Any help will be appreciated~~!

Thanks~~!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Are you sure? mmm where is that file located?
I mean such a big file should be easily located in Windows Explorer, or the Find Files tool, and deleted from there.
I hope it is just a bug in that "System Mechanic".

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
try deleting from safe mode

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
for stopping ghost, if its not in the regular ol' startup folder (which they never are) and theres no preferences for it to not load up on startup, then the only thing i can think of is disabling it from: rightclick 'my computer' -> manage -> services and apps -> services and turning it off from there. its possible its hiding somewhere else though.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
you also could check in your registry for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

once you're at it, search for something like norton ghost .exe or something and delete that specific registry key. It should stop starting the service everytime windows starts up besides what Exodus suggested.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys~~! :)

I have successfully disable Norton Ghost using the reg trick but I sitll cannot figure out on how to delete the memory dump file. Does anyone know any programs that will get rid of junk files in C drive? Cuz the problem is that for some reason the space on my C drive had reduce all the sudden. I think I used to have like around 600mb left, then after I used the one button check up thing on Norton Systemworks, I reboot my comp, and my C drive has only 60mb left~~!!!
I think the memory dump file has something to do with it but I am not too sure...

If anyone has any ideas, please post.

Thanks for the help again~! :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well, to get rid of temporary files and recycle bin files etc, you can use Disk Cleanup:
Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup.

But to get rid of other files, you need to find and delete them manually. No program can tell if a file is "junk". Just use Windows Explorer or Command Prompt. That's all I can suggest.

If you fix it this time and don't want it to happen again, there are a few things to prevent "wasted" harddrive space.
- reduce the amount of space that Internet Explorer uses for temporary files
- reduce the "size" of the recycle bin
- delete unused system restore points, or disable that feature altogether :p
- watch for spyware and be careful with file sharing programs

Good luck

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
That memory dump sounds kinda like a virus... everytime you reset your pc it gets bigger? Maybe you should turn off system restore. Oh and if you have a fat32 drive go into dos with a bootdisk and "deltree" that sucker. If not I suggest you backup your important files just incase it is a virus and turn of any norton, system mechanic or other programs you have running in the background then try and delete it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coolsvilleman said:
That memory dump sounds kinda like a virus... everytime you reset your pc it gets bigger? Maybe you should turn off system restore. Oh and if you have a fat32 drive go into dos with a bootdisk and "deltree" that sucker. If not I suggest you backup your important files just incase it is a virus and turn of any norton, system mechanic or other programs you have running in the background then try and delete it.
I don't think that memory dump is a virus cuz I already scan my whole computer with Norton Antivirus and no virus detected. I also use spybot to check for spyware my comp does have some spyware and deleted most of them but there are some that can't be delete for some reason...ALso, there is something weird about that memory dump file is that it actually located at my C:\Windows\System32 folder and I open window explorer and check the content, it only has 28kb but when I scan the same file using system mechanic, it says 4.02 gig~~!!! and I also noticed that whenever I have a blue screen of death occur on my monitor, it will have a message somewhere saying that "begin memory dump..." and then when I reboot my comp, my C drive space got reduced...it seems the those spaces just vanished all the sudden...Any idea, guys?

I will try to disable system restore( it can do anything anyway now cuz my C drive space is too low) and I have already do disk cleanup and delete all the IE temp files and all those extra stuff. My c drive has actually gone from 60mb to 90mb. That's about it...

Any help will be good~~!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You need room to do anything on your computer
if you have 30GB and it's full, you surely can uninstall a lot of stuff to make room.
Backup all your music, videos, and pictures on CD or DVD or another harddrive, so you can delete them.
Uninstall any games you have (just backup your save points and stuff)
Uninstall non essential programs. For example if you only use Photoshop for "fun", instead of school or work, uninstall that hog for now. Uninstall all the Norton stuff except AntiVirus.

Now you should have room to at least find out what's going on.

Go thru the Add/remove program list and look for anything unfamiliar, it might be spyware.
Spybot is not perfect. But try it anyway. Search and "destroy" anything you see. Spybot also detects a security hole in IE which cannot be fixed, it should be only 2 registry keys. Just leave it. Reboot and search again. If something pops up again, *disconnect from the internet*, reboot, search, destroy, reboot, search. Seriously. Spyware shouldn't be able to reappear without internet. Now get back online, fool around a little, and see if you get spywares again. If you do... I don't know... get Spy Sweeper?

If it looks like no spyware, it could simply be a bad bug in one of your programs. Do a scandisk and fix all errors. Reboot and scandisk again. If you get more errors, uninstall every last piece of 3rd party software to see if it still happens. If it still happens, time for a harddrive format :(

If it comes to that, don't forget to backup your data. All your homework, your contacts, emails, etc. I hope you find the cause of problem before this point tho.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
It keeps sounding more and more like a virus. I had one like that once. Once it's on your system most of the time Norton or MAcafee can't pick it up cause there definition gets messed around with so that it can't find it. If you got like a spare hour I suggest just reinstalling windows. It's quick, it's easy and your computer will run 100% faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts