Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MemcardRex is a PlayStation Memory Card explorer/editor.
View attachment 206507

Changelog:
  • Note: This version of MemcardRex was written from the scratch.
  • Multiple files can now be opened simultaneously.
  • Name of the Memory Card is now displayed on the tab.
  • Location of the Memory Card is now shown in the status bar.
  • Save title can be shown in either ASCII or UTF-16 representation of the original Shift-JIS title.
    • This means that if you have a save with innacurate title switching to UTF-16 should yield better results.
  • Custom font can now be selected for the save list in the preferences dialog.
    • Recommended font: Microsoft Sans Serif.
  • Settings are now stored in "Settings.cfg" file.

Also, this is "not official" but MemcardRex can work in Linux also.
View attachment 206508

Requirements:
  • mono-2.0-runtime
  • libmono-winforms2.0-cil
Recommended font: VL PGothic

Thanks to @ruantec, Cobalt, TheCloudOfSmoke, RedawgTS, Hard core Rikki, RainMotorsports, Zieg, Bobbi.
Special thanks to Gamesoul Master for beta testing.

Since this is a rewrite bugs are likely to occur.
If you encounter any bugs please report. Contact info can be found in the Readme.txt.

·
pSX Troubleshooter/Fanboy
318 Posts
Forgot another small suggestion. Since it's now capable of handling a large number of cards at once, would you consider allowing it to actually load more than one card at a time (as in, allowing multiple selections in the loading dialog)?

And nice work on the column widths. Just loaded up all my DD'ed memory cards, and the columns were wide enough to fully show all information for all the saves of at least a few dozen different games.

Found another little thing though (more a matter of handling user error). Behaviour is the same between both versions, but doesn't occur in v0.9. PSV files with the RAW filename standard will show up in the dialog (happens in *all* versions of MemcardRex). However, in earlier versions, trying to import it that way would result in nothing happening. But in the v1.0 releases, it actually *does* import the file (as a RAW file, which it isn't), resulting in an (obvious) issue... lol. Not sure if this is similar or the same as what you found, but it's gone unchanged in this release, so I'm thinking maybe not? Is it possible to get the RAW file filter to detect an extension (since RAW files don't have an extension)?

An extension to that... when exporting a save and selecting RAW, might it be a good idea for the program to remove the extension put on the filename from the last format selected? Otherwise, if the person isn't looking closely, they're going to end up with a RAW file bearing an extension, which will lead to problems as soon as they need to import that file for some reason.

One last thing for now... I notice in nearly all instances, trying to do anything with a linked slot results in the program throwing an error to that effect. Which I like. But if you go to format the linked slot, it does so without so much as a warning (and still leaves the other slots it was linked to of course). Is this intentional? And whether it is or not, maybe a little warning dialog for formatting the slot would be good, since it's rather... permanent... lol.

So far, still impressed. This is mostly little nitpicking things. Definitely loving this rewrite so far. But you already knew that... :D

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot another small suggestion. Since it's now capable of handling a large number of cards at once, would you consider allowing it to actually load more than one card at a time (as in, allowing multiple selections in the loading dialog)?
Sure. I wonder how I missed that, considering I made multiple drag and drop opening support.
Found another little thing though (more a matter of handling user error). Behaviour is the same between both versions, but doesn't occur in v0.9. PSV files with the RAW filename standard will show up in the dialog (happens in *all* versions of MemcardRex). However, in earlier versions, trying to import it that way would result in nothing happening. But in the v1.0 releases, it actually *does* import the file (as a RAW file, which it isn't), resulting in an (obvious) issue... lol. Not sure if this is similar or the same as what you found, but it's gone unchanged in this release, so I'm thinking maybe not? Is it possible to get the RAW file filter to detect an extension (since RAW files don't have an extension)?
I see. I'll check if I can find a solution for this.
An extension to that... when exporting a save and selecting RAW, might it be a good idea for the program to remove the extension put on the filename from the last format selected? Otherwise, if the person isn't looking closely, they're going to end up with a RAW file bearing an extension, which will lead to problems as soon as they need to import that file for some reason.
Actually that behavior comes from the SaveDialog itself. I guess no one thought that someone would want to save an extensionless file...
I can however omit extension when writing file on the disk if raw save is selected.
One last thing for now... I notice in nearly all instances, trying to do anything with a linked slot results in the program throwing an error to that effect. Which I like. But if you go to format the linked slot, it does so without so much as a warning (and still leaves the other slots it was linked to of course). Is this intentional? And whether it is or not, maybe a little warning dialog for formatting the slot would be good, since it's rather... permanent... lol.
I will fix that in the next release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I have two other suggests:

- If "Backup" folder is missing, backups are simply not created. The program should not rely on the detection of this folder, and creates it if missing.

- If I start the program, then open a memcard (via file>open or drag'n'drop), the Untitled tab if still there. In the case a file has been opened and the Untitled tab has heen untouched, the Untitled tab should disappear. A lot of tab-enabled programs, for example Notepad++, work this way, and I think it is more intuitive, less confusing.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love the program. Can I make a small suggestion? Would it be possible to add "Raw" to the description of the Epsxe savetype. I was transferring my saves to my real PSX and didn't know how to save the file to upload it. It wasn't until after I hexed the different formats I found out the EPSXE type is a raw format.

Just a small suggestion to avoid any confusion :p.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.