Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother's build isn't booting. I'm using the old intel board that came with a gateway we owned that supported intel 775 dual-core CPU's. I decided to rebuild it and put her a build together for around $200. As of Yesterday, it so happens that the build won't even turn on, much less post. The motherboard is getting power as Intel decided to put an LED that only shines when it gets full power, the 4-pin and 20+4 pins are in, ram is in, cpu is in, everything is in. If it turns out this thing has been sitting in a box motionless long enough for something to kill it then we'll have to get a new board.

Do you guys have any ideas before we go about ordering a new board? I've got it all set up fine; I suppose. Intel provided us with a manual, even. We've been through a bit already and we're just ready for this to come on and work.

·
Banned
200 Posts
You can try these options

1. Have you tried with 1 RAM stick at a time? The 1 RAM stick in different slots?
2. Did this board come with a RESET CMOS Jumper and is this jumper set RESET, some boards come with it auto set to RESET, others don't
3. Does the board come with Onboard Video? Did you try booting from Onboard Video? With/Without the Video Card?
4. Did you try with another compatible Power Supply?
5. Assuming you have a 3 PIN power switch have you plugged it in? Are you booting using the power switch?
6. Have you turned the Power Switch on the back of your PSU on assuming it has one?

Let me know if any of those suggestions help

(Hope you get it booting :) )

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
your processor may not be supported even though its 775.
thats what happend to a few of my boaards, like my Abit AW8D which i pay over 100$ for and not be able to use :mad: but the same thing happens. I turned it on, everything seemed like it was going but wouldntget any video, i was like wtf? so i checked the website and my cpu wasnt supported.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think you guys misunderstood me. The fans aren't running, nothing is running. It isn't even hooked up to a screen. I was checking the power output and whether or not it would run. It's not even turning on.

The only other PSU to use is in my rig(and I'm not about to pull it out). The 300W PSU that's in it came from the gateway and it ran it fine for almost a year before we scrapped it for parts so I don't see it as being an issue, besides there's a few key things going on that aren't making me think it's the PSU. The motherboard only shows me an O.K. light when every needed PSU pin is in it(thank you, Intel).

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Is every pin from the front panel to the motherboard connected correctly?

I know I had some problems with it when I build my first computer at least :p
My current motherboard came with a big white pin that I could connect the pins from the front panel, which said which pins were going where.

Do you hear any sound when you press the "on" button?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no sound. We ordered a new motherboard and PSU, this will solve just about every scenario. I've put my ram into the build and it still didn't work; checked the pins about 300 times.

I'm just ready to give up but I'll see what happens when the new parts come in.

·
Banned
200 Posts
When you press the power button does the fan spin once and stop or not spin at all? This could be as Spyhop was saying where your power switch is faulty or not powering up fully, also is your CPU Fan plug on backwords or your Power Switch on backwords, I had that problem with my last build where it wouldn't boot because the cpu fan plug was on backwords also had the problem with a faulty power switch and had to short my PowerSW pins like Spyhop was saying

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
uh, its probably an incompatibility between the ATX spec and the mainboard. (some vendors use custom atx pinout on both the psu and mainboard)

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok then!

New motherboard and PSU came today, I set them up. I only have one little itsy problem now. No VIDEO! I don't know what's going on. I've reset the bios several times and used the oboard and the 8600gts' video and nothing so far seems to work, there's no ram error beep or siren or anything of that nature.

****, I dunno.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Let me see if I understand this right.
You've tried both vga and dvi cables, on the same monitor?
And if so, it the monitor set to automatically change input source? (Like, my Samsung 206BW scans both vga and dvi inputs and automatically uses whichever it has a signal from, but I can change with the push of a button, if I got it hooked up to more than 1 computer).

Does the monitor work on other computers?
And have you tried a different monitor on this computer?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the monitor work on other computers?
Mine.

And have you tried a different monitor on this computer?
Not yet, I'm thinking it might be a motherboard computability or driver problem that might involve me having to flash the bios somehow. I'm going to try the old board when I have the time because I'm beginning to believe that the problem was the PSU to begin with, not the motherboard.

Knowing that that processor and that motherboard were gamed on by me for two years means that they should have worked together in the first place, and if they do then I'll return the newer one on a compatibility reason.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Care to give us the exact references of every parts you're using ? All 775 mobos don't support all 775 CPUs (recent 775 mobos won't boot with an old P4). So, give us all the specs so we can check what's wrong here.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts