Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to this stuff, but I'm trying to get MMX4 to run on ePSXe, & I got the video down to a sane framerate, but I can't get the sound to work, & I also was wondering, probably a stupid question, but how do you control these games? Can you use the keyboard (& how do you set that up?)?

I saw something in the help file about using a command line parameter for MMX4 "-noseekinxa" but when I try to run that, I get "*ePSXe error: -noseekinxa param incorrect" Does this have anything to do with my issues?

Thanks for your help, all!

BTW, I'm using gpuPeteD3D.dll for my Video plugin, & spuPeteDSound.dll for my sound plugin.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
what version of epsxe are you using? alot of the command switches have either been renamed or removed so if its telling you the parameter isnt valid then its probably because the switch has probably been removed due to it being obsolete after bug fixing was done in certain updates.

to configure the input, go to config>game pad>pad# in the GUI. you can map the buttons to your keyboard or a game pad if you prefer that instead. this is probably a 2d game you are playing and it is best to use the software plugin for those, the d3d and ogl plugins are intended for fully 3d games. when starting a game though, you need to press F5 to toggle the analog on/off, otherwise you will probably get no response from it.

for epsxe 1.5.2 and 1.6.0 i suggest eternal spu 1.41, for 1.7.0 the spu core would be ideal. missing sound can be caused by several things, either by not having the spu configured correctly if the game requires something specific (i have not heard of this game being one of them), save states, or an image that has become corrupted or was not made in a format that includes the subchannel data, although this usually results in just no music. if you play from the game disc itself you just need to have subchannel reading from the disc enabled in the CDR plugin config.

right now i just need to know what version of epsxe you are playing the game on and if you are using the game disc or an image of the disc (and its format) to play the game. your system specs could also be of use here. alot of what i have mentioned can be found in the FAQ and this thread can be used to show you how to set the emulator up correctly.

edit- btw make sure you are using plugins that are up-to-date as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Info Response

I am running ePSXe 1.6.0. I did notice that in the help file where I found the parameter, it says "Based on Informations about ePSXe v1.5.2," so the help file hasn't been updated.

Thanks for the info on the controller stuff. Do I need a plug-in for any of the input methods?

MegaMan X4 is technically a 2D scrolling platform game, so what video plug-in would you recommend?

I downloaded Eternal SPU 1.4.1, no change in sound, but I don't understand enough to actually tweak anything in the config.

I am using an ISO of the game that I downloaded, because I don't know how to pull the game off the disc.

One more thing I didn't mention, was that when I hit escape to get out of the actual game, then close the actual game window, I get a message saying "SHUTDOWN ERROR: Could not release hWnd." But it seems not to cause any problems. Is this an issue?

As far as I know, the plug-ins are up to date. Pete's GPU 1.76, I believe, & now we're using Eternal SPU 1.4.1 for Windows, as suggested.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
well as stated in our rules, we cannot offer support if you are using a warez image, however if you do own the disc and are just not sure of how to make an image of it, this will show you how.

at this point i would usually have to close this kind of thread but if you can honestly tell me that you will use that guide to make your own image or play from the game disc (you dont really need to play from an image but it is prefered by most) then i will consider holding back for the moment and answering the rest of your questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a look at your How-To page, & first off, wow, that's complicated. And second, I don't have a CD burner. :\

I could go dig up the game, & hope I can figure out how to follow the instructions, on someone else's computer with a burner, transfer it via flash drive to mine, but that's a huge pain in the butt as well.

Still willing to help me?

·
Registered
176 Posts
You don't need a burner. A simple CD reader is enough. Hell, even old drivers are OK.

Just put your disc in and use MagicISO to make the ISO.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
make sure you do an image in .cdd/.img/.sub, .bin/.cue, or mdf/mds formats, avoid the .iso format since it does not include the subchannel data.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, well, if you don't need a CD burner, I guess I could give it a shot. I'll have to dig up the disc first, which may take a while, but I'll get back to you if I have anymore issues, & probably will, because I don't think we've resolved the sound problems. :\

Thanks for your help, everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so quick update, I've looked EVERYWHERE for my copy of MMX4, & it's nowhere to be found. Chances are my mom got rid of/sold it. :\ So, I went around town to look for a new copy, with no luck. Now, I'm back down at college, so I'm going to look around down here, & if I don't find it, I'm gonna take the eBay route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so I found MMX6 down here at college, good enough for me. Thanks for your help everyone! I'll do my best to follow those directions in the links for ripping the data.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts