Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back on my original ps2 the game look pretty decent how ever on pcsx2 mega man x8 suports the bloom effect. its like its a completely different game.
This is the firest ps2 game that ive seen take advantage of a decent video card.

system specs
os windows 7
mobo asustek
processor amd athlon 4200 x2 dual core OC to 3.2 ghz
video Geforce 9800 GTX+OC 500mb of ram
ram 2 gigs

please tell me some of your experiences with direct x 10

·
Registered
646 Posts
It doesn't look the same with DX9?

Why would a PS2 game take advantage of DX10? You mean that the plugin somehow takes advantage of DX10?

I don't have Vista and don't plan to install Vista so I can't really compare them but I don't see how PS2 games could look better when running on DX10.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry, that is not bloom.

Best example I can find of bloom is here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/images/NFSMW_10.jpg

Besides, the emulator cant take advantage of the effect, because the game isn't programmed to use the effect. It was never supported on the PS2.

My experiences with DX10 vs. DX9: more effects are present in DX10. I'm sure its a plugin thing, though.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
If it wasn't supported in hardware atleast partially, NFS Games would be so much slower.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I'm convinced that PS2 cannot do bloom, and I'm interseted in your evidence to prove me wrong (i like to learn..) so if you want to carry on our argument, message me.

And i would imagine he's emulating it because he bought it for the PS2. I wouldn't want to waste money buying the same game.. just to play it on a different system.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
whether its hardware support, or software support, the PS2 still supports Bloom.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
now ps2 not doing HDR ;) thats a definite given.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's no special function that does blooming filters.
It's all software, on every platform. And sure, the ps2 can do it :p
hmm thats odd if you remember all ps2 games have different requirements to run greatly on pcsx2 right, some games ask for more cpu power than gpu power however. If you compare pc game requirements to pcsx2 game requirements there a bit alike. ok you know how on pc games theres the minimum requirements and theres the recommended settings. On the ps2 megaman x8 was ran on minimum settings because the ps2 could only handle those settings for ps2 games back then because of the processor being the bottleneck and the gpu.Pcsx2 a beefy graphic chip and running megaman x8 on a decent processor followed with direct x 10 it unlocks all those hidden features on the graphic side that the ps2 couldn't bring out. In the pc world megaman x8 can be played on VERY HIGH settings dependent on your hardware.

·
Registered
50 Posts
well i dont think better textures and more or better effects magically appear when u play ps2 games on an emulator. the thing is all these files arent existant on the game disc and even if they are present pcsx2 wont use em because its programmed to act like an ps2

·
Registered
52 Posts
Regardless of whether or not ps2 or pcsx2 or dx10 or dx9 will use Bloom---

The simple fact remains that Mega Man X8 uses dx 8.1.

Newer hardware (such as anything dx9 compliant (not compatible. compliant. look it up=P) uses floating point frame buffers to render 3d geometry and render HDR effects.
The PS2 hardware is not capable of doing this in real time. The slowdown in games (even on a real PS2) would be substantial and not worth the effort.

What you see as "bloom" in ANY PS2 game is a software after-effect and is NOT true HDR or Bloom.

·
Numbers Guy
164 Posts
Curious question from a non-programmer: so what's the so-called "bloom" in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus? Is that an after-effect?

·
Registered
52 Posts
yes because the hardware shaders avaliable on the technology in the ps2 are not capable of rendering HDR effects in real time.
Bloom is an HDR effect, and any bloom in a PS2 game will be 'emulated' bloom, or software after-effect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.