Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mednafen is a PC Engine, PC Engine CD, PC-FX, GG, SMS, GB, GBC, GBA, NES, NGP, Atari Lynx and WonderSwan emulator. I don't think I'm forgetting any system. Anyway, the author has just released v0.9.0 WIP at the Mednafen Phorums with the folowing news:

- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive emulation, from Genesis Plus, Genesis Plus GX(EEPROM emulator, general information), Yabause(68K emulator), Gens(YM2612 emulator), and of course the Z80 emulator core from FUSE already used in SMS and NGP emulation.

- Virtual Boy emulation(using the V810 emulator forked(and optimized and otherwise improved!) from Reality Boy ages ago for use in PC-FX emulation, along with original code for everything else).

- Multi-threaded CD-ROM reading code.

- Significantly more accurate(though not entirely perfect, and slower) PCE emulation.

- The "pce_fast" emulation module, which is a fork of 0.8.x optimized for speed, at the expense of *generally*-unimportant accuracy.

- Various accuracy improvements to PC-FX emulation, including ADPCM IRQ generation(fixes Sparkling Feather), correcting the ADPCM decoding algorithm, a new slightly more accurate V810 emulation mode to fix glitches in Chip Chan Kick and Kishin Douji Zenki FX, and greatly improved accuracy of KING->RAINBOW block transfers.

- A new experimental/unstable video driver, "overlay".

- "Slow forwarding" feature. Mednafen is too good for "slow-mo". ;b

- Support for WSR(WonderSwan sound rip format) playback.
Message thread (and download link) here.

This emulator doesn't have a GUI, it launches games from the command line. Usage is as simple as "MEDNAFEN.EXE OUTRUN.SMS", as the program will recognise the system automatically. ZIP files are also supported. In-game, ALT+ENTER and ESC do their usual tricks, for the rest, including savestates and controls, press F1.

I, however, found the third party frontend MedGUI far more comfortable.

·
DS Gamer
113 Posts
Wow, the Virtual Boy emulation seems pretty good, although only tested VB Wario Land, Mario's Tennis and Mario Clash, they worked great and, at least for me, faster than Reality Boy 0.84.

Just one thing... does anyone know if there's a command to adjust the "3D Mode" in the VB games? (because it displays in some 3D mode as default).

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just one thing... does anyone know if there's a command to adjust the "3D Mode" in the VB games? (because it displays in some 3D mode as default).

Thanks for the info!
And even games that writes directly to framebuffer, like Red Alarm, works perfect :wub:

You can disable the anaglyph mode on mednafen-09x.cfg

Check this options

;3D mode.
vb.3dmode anaglyph
;Anaglyph preset colors.
vb.anaglyph.preset red_blue
;Anaglyph maximum-brightness color for left view.
vb.anaglyph.lcolor 0xffba00
;Anaglyph maximum-brightness color for right view.
vb.anaglyph.rcolor 0x00baff
;Disable parallax for BG and OBJ rendering.
vb.disable_parallax 0

to

vb.3dmode anaglyph
vb.anaglyph.preset disabled
vb.anaglyph.lcolor 0xff0000
vb.anaglyph.rcolor 0x000000
vb.disable_parallax 1

You'll obtain the tipical red vectors. If u want something like black and white, use the yellow_blue on anaglyph preset and disable parallax

This emulator module is so configurable :yawn:

Here's the complete VB settings

static const MDFNSetting_EnumList V810Mode_List[] =
{
{ "fast", (int)V810_EMU_MODE_FAST },
{ "accurate", (int)V810_EMU_MODE_ACCURATE },
{ NULL, 0 },
};

static const MDFNSetting_EnumList VB3DMode_List[] =
{
{ "anaglyph", VB3DMODE_ANAGLYPH },
{ "cscope", VB3DMODE_CSCOPE },
{ "sidebyside", VB3DMODE_SIDEBYSIDE },
// { "overunder", VB3DMODE_OVERUNDER },
{ "pbarrier", VB3DMODE_PBARRIER },

{ NULL, 0 },
};

static const MDFNSetting_EnumList AnaglyphPreset_List[] =
{
{ "disabled", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_DISABLED },
{ "0", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_DISABLED },

{ "red_blue", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_RED_BLUE },
{ "red_cyan", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_RED_CYAN },
{ "red_electriccyan", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_RED_ELECTRICCYAN },
{ "red_green", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_RED_GREEN },
{ "green_magenta", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_GREEN_MAGENTA },
{ "yellow_blue", ANAGLYPH_PRESET_YELLOW_BLUE },
};

static MDFNSetting VBSettings[] =
{
{ "vb.cpu_emulation", gettext_noop("Select CPU emulation mode."), MDFNST_ENUM, "fast", NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, V810Mode_List },
{ "vb.input.instant_read_hack", gettext_noop("Hack to return the current pad state, rather than latched state, to reduce latency."), MDFNST_BOOL, "1" },

{ "vb.3dmode", gettext_noop("3D mode."), MDFNST_ENUM, "anaglyph", NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, VB3DMode_List },
{ "vb.disable_parallax", gettext_noop("Disable parallax for BG and OBJ rendering."), MDFNST_BOOL, "0" },
{ "vb.default_color", gettext_noop("Default maximum-brightness color to use in non-anaglyph 3D modes."), MDFNST_UINT, "0xF0F0F0", "0", "0xFFFFFF" },
{ "vb.anaglyph.preset", gettext_noop("Anaglyph preset colors."), MDFNST_ENUM, "red_blue", NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, AnaglyphPreset_List },
{ "vb.anaglyph.lcolor", gettext_noop("Anaglyph maximum-brightness color for left view."), MDFNST_UINT, "0xffba00", "0", "0xFFFFFF" },
{ "vb.anaglyph.rcolor", gettext_noop("Anaglyph maximum-brightness color for right view."), MDFNST_UINT, "0x00baff", "0", "0xFFFFFF" },
{ NULL }
};

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks.

Can anyone attach the GUI file here? I can't download from megaload.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not up to date, but it does load Megadrive games fine here. As far as the emulator can figure out which system the roms are, you're safe. Ah, and remember MedGUI requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to work.

BTW, does the emulator officially support SNES? I've loaded a few games, they seem to work fine, but the system is veeeeeery slow, if you compare it to the rest.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lastest aditions are not supported yet

I recommend you learn to use scripts for the emulator
It's not up to date, but it does load Megadrive games fine here. As far as the emulator can figure out which system the roms are, you're safe. Ah, and remember MedGUI requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to work.

BTW, does the emulator officially support SNES? I've loaded a few games, they seem to work fine, but the system is veeeeeery slow, if you compare it to the rest.
Thanks. :)

Add: I also tried SNES games, indeed, it's very slow. I then fiddled with the settings, turn on v-sync & it worked fine. Graphic filters doesn't seem to work. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem of snes emulation is not the emulator but the video resolution.
If you use a 640x480 res the emulator is slow (by contradiction).

I have done a small support for new system end bogfix any problems, if you want download by updater in the GUI.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just tried a few SNES games in 640x480 (through MedGUI) and they seem to work better now. I think I was trying them in 1024x768 before, plus VSYNC.

If I'm correct, SNES emulation in Mednafen comes from bsnes, and should be fairly complete. I haven't tried many games that depend on extra chips, but "Super Mario Kart" works fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, afaik it uses alot of code from existing standalone emulators (which is totally fine). Only problem I personally have with this is the imo weird key setup. I love how it automatically identifies the game system type which makes running it from commandline a breeze.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This the download link the emu Mednafen 0.9.0 WIP configured.

Here I didn't get turn him when clicking in the executable. :drool:
Mednafen doesnt have graphical interface and it doesnt load anything by default, this is why ur executable close when you click on

You need and script (BAT) or external GUI like MedGUI

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.