Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiho!

I'm using MediaPortal to control ePSXe. Works fine with "Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.77" GPU plugin. I'm a Widescreen-User and now I want to be able to run ePSXe in fullscreen mode with the widescreen-fix introduced with "Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9" Plugin. When used outside MediaPortal (e.g. start ePSXe manually and load the game) I can use the new plugin without prob, max settings, full fps, fine. Problem is the performance when used inside MediaPortal. I have to choose "Native PSX resolution" to get acceptable famerates. As I said "Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.77" runs fine inside MediaPortal with max settings.

Also, when I use "Render mode: (2) Use framebuffer object ..." I get an all black ePSXe screen when started via MediaPortal. The other two render modes work.

MediaPortal + "Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9" = slow. I don't know why.

clues?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
different methods in rendering to screen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the same setup - MediaPortal 1.0 Final with ePSXe 1.7 + OGL2. My framerates do not drop. I have the plugin with maximum settings as well as a HQ4X shader.

However, I noticed ePSXe would randomly freeze when playing a game for some time under MediaPortal 1.0RC2. I haven't tried playing a game now that I upgraded to 1.0 Final. I'll report if the problem persists.

EDIT: I stand corrected, ePSXe lags for me too with 1.0 Final. I did not have this problem with 1.0RC2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
you mean the 3 Render modes ?

As i said:
3 = black screen
1+2 = no black screen, but low fps when internal resolution > "Native PSX resolution".

EDIT: thx 0ldsk00l plz report if 1.0 Final is still working for you. I'm also using 1.0 final

EDIT2: thx 0ldsk00l glad i'm not the only one. *sigh* this is kind of frustrating as I've spent quite some time (!!!) configuring 1.0 final after an upgrade from 1.0RC3. Now to go through that all again oh my.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Media Portal is most likely running via Dx, or DXVA, which uses the gfx hardware, thus the opengl api is unable to use the device at its maximum.

OpenGL DOES NOT like to share with other apps running D3dx/DXVA effects.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
0ldsk00l could you plz post your mediaportal setup. i tried RC 2-4 and every release lags for me

·
Registered
71 Posts
What information would you like about MediaPortal? I tried again and if I turn off shaders in ePSXe, I get 60fps. I use render mode (2) framebuffer object.

I have noticed that ePSXe sometimes drops frames once in a while on certain games. This happens regardless if I'm running it via MediaPortal or not. I believe it to be a ATI Catalyst setting that I have to change. For sometime, I was having trouble with my TV tuner showing a black screen and resolved it with the Catalyst software. What video card are you using? Have you tried updating the drivers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
these are good news, glad it's working for you. could you plz post the opengl2 plugin settings you use? also could you test the other 2 render modes, if they slow you down or not?

thx!

EDIT: video card = 8600GT 256MB, signature ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the settings below and can get 60fps when not loading ePSXe through MediaPortal. If loading through MediaPortal, I change the following options:

Texture filtering: 4 --> 6
Hi-Res textures: 0 --> 1
Shader effects: checked --> unchecked.

I've tried Render mode 0 and it is slower. Video card is an ATI HD4670 512MB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k thx again.

Updated my video drivers and the black screen with render mode 2 is gone (thought I have the newest drivers but I restored my sys from a backup days ago which came with an older driver -.-)
So yeah it works now. More or less. Guess I have to live with less quality when using MediaPortal.

BTW, have you tried another Media Center app with epsxe which doesn't suffer from this "DirectX/OpenGL performance decrease"?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
It is not recommended at all to run an application which requires a Hardware accelerated API via a media extender app.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, what options do we have for a centralized mediacenter for all our entertainment needs?

movies, music, games, tv... all controlled via remote control... WAY more comfortable than starting your emu via start menu, desktop shortcut or whatever. Throw an emulator plugin in and you just have to select the game cover to start playing while sitting back with your controller and/or remote.

I switched back to Pete's D3D plugin cause I still face performance issues & other display anomalies with OpenGL. I know I'm sacrificing image quality, but for the sheer convenience, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
@Zett0,

MediaPortal is definitely the most feature-packed media center app out there. However, I do believe it is too resource-hungry and its ATSC (HDTV) support could be improved. I would never trade in the comfort of having everything controlled via remote on my HTPC.

I've tried other media center apps and the only one I thought was worth considering is GBPVR. It's free, very small and fast. However, it's geared more towards TV users and less on the other aspects of multimedia. Try it out.

I believe upgrading my CPU will enable me to use ePSXe HQ4X shaders via MediaPortal.

@Squall-Leonheart,

Project64 and nullDC both use heavy 3D graphics and these do not slow down via MediaPortal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts