Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I unwrapped something splendid from my mother-in-law; a new car stereo!

This is fantastical! (and I spelled that correctly!)

My current stereo has a blown right channel, the CD player is shot and when it's 10:30, it reads: "backwards-C:30" so you see how happy I am.

Well I got my hands on it, yes I did. I got my grimy hands on it! I lept from the chair 3ft and scurried to the driveway to take my old stereo out(google is amazing). So with a flathead screwdriver and a phillips head I removed it! In the process however I seemed to have blasted away every fragment of one of the speaker-based plugs; spraying wires of various colors in five directions.

There are three plugs that went into my old stereo, with around 20 wires in all, one of the plugs is just the antenna.

Luckly, the internet was my friend today; as I found the wiring schematic for my car without paying for it. Take that, manual-based sites that charge $4.50 for a .pdf file!

--
My problem:

I have many ways of doing this but I'm not sure what path to take first. I know at this point that I'll have to clip and strip the other plug off and make sure each color matches up with the schematic. I'm doing this because,... well, the new stereo came with a plug and wires of various colors sprayed in all directions as well.

I kind of thought that I could just wrap each wire together and test it before I solder and wrap. Though I'm not entirely sure this is the good way to do so. Anyone here have any car-stereo experience that can give me some good advice?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
I've been installing car stereos for years. You're the first (besides me) that has actually considered soldering. Good to hear!:thumb:

Anyway, the new stereo's wiring harness should have each individual wire labeled. If not, its manual may have the wiring codes. Use this information in conjunction with the PDF you acquired to match them up properly.

As for temporarily connecting the wires to test out the stereo, use some house-hold twist-on electrical connectors.

You can pick these up at Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, or some other such do-it-yourself store.

You can also twist the wires together and wrap them with electrical tape to temporarily hold them together while you test the system and while you solder the other wires.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, man! I'm definitely going to try this out, I hope to get it fully installed by 12:00pm tomorrow... if I can wake up from being up all night.

This is the first time I've had a stereo with an AUX input!! WOO!!
Also, coolest thing I've ever seen, it has a usb port so I can charge my mp3 player or anything else usb related! WOO!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts