Next Generation Emulation banner

McAfee vs. Norton

  • McAfee

    Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Norton

    Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 18 42.9%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you prefer?
McAfee or Norton?
At the moment, I am using the McAfee AV vr.9, with antispam.
What do you use?
Edit:Don't make choices based on Antivirus only. |Choose depending on othe applications as utilities, etc...
 

·
Experenced But New User
Joined
·
866 Posts
Out on my dads computer is running the newest verson of McAfee, which I despise alot. It is very slow and does not have alot of options. I currently run the Norton Symentec Suite 2004. It runs great and all the little things like the cleanup program make my computer run smoothy. I recomend Norton. :thumb:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
177 Posts
I advise you if you use Norton though for the new user to be careful cause some packages of Norton involve everything including Ghost etc.. which is crazy and sometimes can boggle down your system. On the other hand mcafee can do the same so its basically up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason why I changed to mcafee is because of adware.
While I was using norton, weekly I was bombarded with adware, and the norton could not delete them.
That's why I changed to mcafee. to me, it's much more convenient than norton.as for utilities, I don't use either much. I count on other programs to do my maintanence stuff.
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
eTrust Antivirus here.
So far I like this one a lot, better than the old Mcafee v4.xx we used to have. I don't like Norton AV as well for some strange reasons I can't explain. I like eTrust better.
And for spyware I use Webroot Spysweeper which is the best program IMO, and beats the Spybot + Adaware combo.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,032 Posts
I used to use McAfee, but went to Norton later. No reason really. I'm sure both are great, but after renewing my liscence three time, Norton has served me well. Virus free for 3 years :)

Except for that damn blaster worm, but none of the anti-virus programs did squat till later ^^
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,283 Posts
As far as Symantec is concerned, I'd go for Symantec Antivirus, and not Norton Antivirus, doesn't pretty much the same without being the ressource intensive slut Norton is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,032 Posts
Hey Raziel, are they both the same price?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
Anti-Spam software: Mozilla Thunderbird/GMail
Spyware tools: SpySweeper and Spybot S&D
Firewall: HW Firewall and Windows Firewall
Antivirus: Symantec AV.

Thus, as you can see, I don't use either. Sure Symantec AV is from the same company as Norton AV, but it's not the same product, as Raz already pointed out. I use Symantec as it does all the protecting I need, without telling me how to run my d*mned computer (like most suites do these days) and hogging my resources.
 

·
General of Tangerines
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
I have installed and used Norton myself and I have troubleshoot folks that used Norton.

And I gotta say that Norton is a pile of s**t.

Norton messes up your resources and slows the performance down while it protects your computer. I don't know why Norton is the popular brand.

As for McAfee I have used the software and I have no serious problem with this software.

I recommend McAfee over Norton.

Now what do I use myself? Neither Norton or McAfee.

I'm using F-Prot which is lighter on resource use.
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
Anti-Spam software: Mozilla Thunderbird/GMail
Spyware tools: SpySweeper and Spybot S&D
Firewall: HW Firewall and Windows Firewall
Antivirus: Symantec AV.

Thus, as you can see, I don't use either. Sure Symantec AV is from the same company as Norton AV, but it's not the same product, as Raz already pointed out. I use Symantec as it does all the protecting I need, without telling me how to run my d*mned computer (like most suites do these days) and hogging my resources.
Is it necesary to run Spybot after I've done a search with SpySweeper?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
>Is it necesary to run Spybot after I've done a search with SpySweeper?

Sometimes Spybot picks up stuff Spysweeper doesn't
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,583 Posts
RZetlin said:
I have installed and used Norton myself and I have troubleshoot folks that used Norton.

And I gotta say that Norton is a pile of s**t.

Norton messes up your resources and slows the performance down while it protects your computer. I don't know why Norton is the popular brand.

As for McAfee I have used the software and I have no serious problem with this software.

I recommend McAfee over Norton.

Now what do I use myself? Neither Norton or McAfee.

I'm using F-Prot which is lighter on resource use.
Hehe...I didn't know anybody else used this. I have that running on our mail server, filtering virii from emails. It's absurdly cheap. They only charge $50/year (commercial licensing). :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
Common sence. You might dislike me for saying that, but seriously. Where do people get viruses? Just be careful and watch what you download. I haven't had an anti-virus program in like 3 years on my computers. Haven't had a problem yet. Spyware is much more of a problem than viruses, IMO. I use spybot and ad-aware myself.
 

·
Canadian Spaceman
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
GSDragoon said:
Common sence. You might dislike me for saying that, but seriously. Where do people get viruses? Just be careful and watch what you download. I haven't had an anti-virus program in like 3 years on my computers. Haven't had a problem yet. Spyware is much more of a problem than viruses, IMO. I use spybot and ad-aware myself.
True, your worst enemy can be yourself sometimes. IMO its still good to atleast run anything because you never know what can arrive in your inbox, or somebody else clicking on stuff while you arent there.

I use SAV myself.
 

·
General of Tangerines
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
Hehe...I didn't know anybody else used this. I have that running on our mail server, filtering virii from emails. It's absurdly cheap. They only charge $50/year (commercial licensing). :D
F-Prot scans for e-mails? I don't see this option anywhere. oO

I like F-Prot a lot. Unlike Norton or McAfee, there's no subscription fee or limit the number of times you can update the virus definition.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top