Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're really close to running Mario Kart on DeSmuME.
The Mario Kart demo now runs, but crashes after you select the 1-player mode.

So if you can provide any help for Mario Kart, you're welcome.

Here's what I've found :
I've added a lot of Wifi settings to the firmware, thus making the demo work (as well as the game booting a bit more).
The next issue is related to the DMA3. The values assigned to the regs are invalid. I hope this is the last issue. I also hope that it's the same issue that causes the demo to crash.

EDIT : yeah, the 2 issues seem to be the same. In the demo, invalid values are assigned to the PC, like the invalid values being assigned to the DMA3 regs in the game. Plus, these values seem to be opcodes.

EDIT2 : the problem could be the same for Rayman DS. It looks like a hefty problem that could break a lot of games.

·
Rpcs3 user :D
780 Posts
We are waiting for the new desmume version, your desmume mod was great. Thanks for the news :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. But my mod was a bit selfish, as it wasn't sharing the fixes with the official SVN, and also it was getting a bit broken, for example the Meteos demo was broken on the Mod 3 and I've never been able to find why. But it allowed me to train myself to emu development without breaking the official version.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not so curious as you may think. I think it's a bit obvious since the game has online connection abilities, and even a WFC configuration interface. But it's still curious as the game could still overwrite invalid profiles, instead of freezing. (I think the freeze was due to the CRC's being zero)

Infact, I'll tell why I looked at the firmware issue :
When I was a newbie (DeSmuME mods time), I've asked Lino and Orz about Mario Kart. Both told me that a bad firmware could break games like Mario Kart. After that, I've tried using a real firmware, and I've figured out that it was making the game boot a bit more. But I've never worked more on it.
Now, I managed to find what part of the firmware was causing the game to not boot. After adding lots of Wifi stuff, it was still not booting. Then, I added the WFC profiles, the game booted a bit more than before, but still didn't boot.

The next issue could be a timing problem, or related to memory, I don't know why invalid values are assigned to the DMA3 regs (game) or to the PC (demo).

Anyway, thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts