Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm used to creating iso images from psx disks (I have some serious speed problems with my cd reader) and using them to play. My problem is that those isos are growing pretty large, so I'd like to know if exists a plugin or something that works with ePSXe to let the emulator read a zip file containg my iso without having to keep the uncompressed on my HD.
Thx,
Lanugo of the Wandering Souls

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
actually, even if it is read as a zip, the iso must be uncompressed to a temp folder and read from there....... You will need even for hd space since it will need the extra space for the temporary iso...... I suggest just erasing the iso's when you are done playing them......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, uncompressing my iso to a temp file is what I'm doing without that plug-ing... I was wondering if you could read a zipped file a piece at a time without having to unzip the whole, but I do not know enough about the .zip compression format. If you can, well, you won't have to unzip the archive to a 700 Mb iso - just play straight from the .zip.

Lanugo

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
I don't know of any compression software that could just uncompress an iso a piece at a time....... When you play anything in zipped format(ie.. mame roms in zip format)... The files in the rom get uncompressed into ram or a temp folder before being used anyways..... I don't think you can run an iso one piece at a time anyways....... The iso is a whole cd image..... try to run a music cd on piece at a time...... its not goin to work..... It runs the whole cd by reading the whole thing first, then plays the tracks one by one....... Plus there could be information that the emulator needs which isn't in the piece that is being read...... The emulator or software reading the iso needs to have access to the whole iso, not just pieces of it..... So it would have to uncompress it to a temp folder and then epsxe would run the iso from the temp folder, not directly from the zip.... Nothing is run directly from zip files......!!! They all get either uncompressed into ram or into a temp folder before they can be used....... Many emulators support zipped roms, but the roms are always uncompressed into ram before the emulators runs them..... That's why you need so much ram for neogeo games.... They get uncompress into your ram, and if you don't got enough then its goin to use your hd for swapping(slow as hell).....Zips are just ways to store information..... Maybe if you had 1 gig of ram then the iso would just get uncompressed into ram and won't ever be on your harddrive...... Only the zipped iso would be...... But I have seen zipped isos and they aren't that much smaller than the uncompressed iso... The reason being is because the music files on the cd is not compressed properly..... Zips are good only to compress data..... not cd music..... You would need to compress the music tracks into mp3 and have epsxe run the mp3s.... but that makes everything more complicated........ Plus if the psx cd doen't have music tracks, then there is nothing you can do to make the iso smaller...... I compressed a saturn game.. it was 600 megs, got it down with best compression in winzip to 500 megs..... Not too much of a difference..... In most psx games music tracks and sound takes up most of the cd....... So then back to original suggestion....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I searched the net and I've found a compression library which seems to support on the fly partial file decompression. I'm now working (thanks to Pete Bernert, which has supplied me with unvaluable pieces of info and code) on a plugin for ePSXe which tries to fake a CD-ROM by feeding the emulator with decompressed data. I'll let you know if I can make a working version.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
actually you COULD try DriveSpace 3 (which should come with any Win9x), but I'm not sure how well that'd work since almost no one uses it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts