Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something which has been mildly bugging me for as long as I've used ePSXe is the save state management, which saves the files with these unrecognizable SCES_038.28.000 style names. I understand the extension is also the save state number, ordering them as .000, .001, and so on. But the rest is gibberish to me. Is there a way to easily recognize which file belongs to what game?

Furthermore, is there any way to setup the file naming to something more conventional, such as "FINAL_FANTASY_9.000", "Final Fantasy 9.000", and the like?

And is there any sort of utility, similar to what the memmanager.exe does for memory cards, for save states? Neither of the above would be necessary if there were a program I could browse these files under to review their images and wht game they belong to.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The "SCES_038.28" part is the game ID which is found on the game disc and the case inserts. Each game has an unique ID and ePSXe uses that ID to keep track of which saves are to be used with each game.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion and answer. At least now I'll be able to look up the ID on the disc itself and know which file is which, though I'd still prefer some way to manage them.

An emulator setting to make our own naming policy would be preferential, though.

I tried frontends before but didn't like any of them. Maybe I'll give them another shot, but I doubt I'll like them any more now than I did before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts