Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've played several PSX games with ePSXe and have a whole lot of save states in my sstates directory that I probably don't need any more.

Is there a tool (maybe something like Aldo Vargas's MemManager) that would let me browse through the sstates and see what games they belong to?

Or...I notice there's a *.pic file with each save state (which I guess is what ePSXe shows you when you browse save states while the game is running), but I haven't been able to find a image viewer that will recognize the format of this file (I tried IrfanView, which can read most formats).

What format are the *.pic files in? Is there a viewer that can display them?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
i dont know of any save state manager...i guess you're gonna have to go through and check all the SLUS codes yourself :|

also, i've tried opening those picture files...and i cant. i know ePSXe can view them but i dont know what else can.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
You should also you memcards as main save system ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Thank you SimonMallion! Moo's tool is indeed excellent and does everything I need.

2. I'm an idiot. I've been using ePSXeCutor, which has its own built in save-state manager which also does what I was wanting to do, and I knew that a while ago but had completely forgotten. Doh!

3. But I've switched to Delta because I'm playing FFIX and I need to be able to use the older version of ePSXe and I like Delta's game profile management a lot better.

4. Mr. Killjoy, I use the memcards to save, but mostly as a backup to the save states. For me, one of the main benefits of emulation is using save-states to avoid a lot of repetition (having to sit through the same conversations and cut-scenes). I want to be able to pick up right where I left off rather than having to go back to the most recent memcard save. But I do make memcard saves as often as possible in case I run into problems.

5. You guys rock. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
>> 4. Mr. Killjoy, I use the memcards to save, but mostly as a backup to the save states. For me, one of the main benefits of emulation is using save-states to avoid a lot of repetition (having to sit through the same conversations and cut-scenes). I want to be able to pick up right where I left off rather than having to go back to the most recent memcard save. But I do make memcard saves as often as possible in case I run into problems.

It should be the opposite, SS only if you know your last memsave isn't far away...
SS aren't safe, they can screw the graphics, sound, and even forget what happened
a while ago ... and finally overwriting a memsave is harder than doing "oops i pressed the wrong key"... nevermind, if ever one of those things happen to you, you'll know who's right ;p

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
And remember, prafull is the only member who never faced any problems with savestates. j/k

Savestates are fun, Except for few disappearing sounds (on loading savestates)they dont create much problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Way to be a killjoy, Killjoy!

I've completed 6-7 PS1 games using mostly save-states. I don't think I ever had a glitch that made me use a memcard save, but I have done the accidental overwrite a couple of times. But even so, I've ended up doing a lot less total replaying than I would've by always starting at a save spot.

I'm too old and Final Fantasy IX is too long for me to sit through all those conversations more than once. But thanks for the reminder that I need to keep doing regular memcard saves just in case (and for switching discs, of course).

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
>> I've completed 6-7 PS1 games using mostly save-states. I don't think I ever had a glitch that made me use a memcard save, but I have done the accidental overwrite a couple of times. But even so, I've ended up doing a lot less total replaying than I would've by always starting at a save spot.

Glitches don't happend everytime, it's more game specific

>> I'm too old and Final Fantasy IX is too long for me to sit through all those conversations more than once. But thanks for the reminder that I need to keep doing regular memcard saves just in case (and for switching discs, of course).

Of course I did too, I'm a lazy ******* as well and dialgos aren't fully skippable ^^
Though I try to go the nearest save point once the boring part is over if I have to
close the emu

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
just turn off frame limiting and bang X, that gets you through convos pretty fast ;)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Yeah, but you still have to press the button... sometimes even with FL disaabled it's too long :(

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
eh, well, if you despise the conversation so much, you shouldnt be playing final fantasy games...half the game is simply reading ;)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
No I mean dialogs you get b4 hard bosses that often kills you if you're not enough levelled-up... do you really thing 'd have finished Xenogears with loving reading?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Well clearly... take any RPG

1 Fights....
2 Save point
3 Huge conversation with big boss
4 NO save point
5 Fight with Boss
6 Die
7 Goto 2

With SS you can load the game AFTER the convy

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
oh, i get what you're saying. you go through a chunk of the game, and then there's a boss, you get game over, and you have to go back where you were. now i get it :)

of course, i encourage save states--i wasnt arguing against them. hell, i use them most of the time. i always save memorycards, yes, but when i stop playing, i just save state so i can jump right back where i was when i turn the game on again :) for some reason i thought you were talking about wanting to skip dialog, simple misunderstanding

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I enjoy reading the dialogue in Final Fantasy games...the first time. Sometimes it's even fun the second time. It's the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh times that really get to me. How many times do I really need to watch monkeyboy grab the princess's butt on the way into the flying ship?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts