Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,231 Posts
(...)

I can't think of anyone ever getting flamed for doing something differently, if their method produces a worse experience then that might get pointed out. If someone repeatedly doesn't get why we aren't going to make MAME work that way, then taking comments out of context might look like flaming I guess. When people set out to get upset about something, it's very hard to stop them.

(...)
I've read several MAME developers trash talking and insulting a certain Dreamcast emulator coder, just for the sake that he implemented stuff that was also on MAME. There's no way to see that out of context.

That some MAME developers are arrogant nazi alike persons, where if you don't do stuff their way, you shouldn't be doing (even if it doesn't even remotely relate to MAME, or MAME was only used as documentation), it's just one of the facts that I'm happy seeing the Haze stuff coming to light. I guess that the image here sums up what I think of people acting like that.

As a professional developer, if someone at my company acted like that, it would get fired in a matter of hours, so I don't really understand why anyone, in their free time and when working on something for fun has to keep hearing that kind of crap.

As a final note, let me tell anyone that I like the MAME project, but after seeing the kind of crap that some of the developers spread, I've stayed away from it as a user, and never looked back. It's not like I want to use or support something done by such people.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
(...)
Pointing out that someone only made progress after reading how to do something in the MAME source isn't flaming, it's letting people know the truth.
(...)
And I agree with that. But one think is saying that he made progress due to MAME, and other insulting the developer because he used MAME information, as you may agree. In this case, was the latter, which I can't defend, and hope you don't.

Sometimes people mistake knowing what you are talking about as arrogance, because from the outside it looks like the same thing. There are alot of real arrogant developers who manage to survive for years. From the inside you see more in context and are able to make up your mind on what is really going on. I don't think anyone should be happy about what happened to Haze.
I know that, I've been told (and probably I am) arrogant, but at least I keep with my own business. For example, certain MAME developers are known stalk certain emulator projects and try to take down what they are not following the "only path to emulation".

Of course there are emulators with thousands of hacks, intended only to play, and others intended to be 100% accurate. I'm inclined to prefer the latter, even if they ask for 300% more resources, but I won't go the route of certain MAME developers to insult those that do speed oriented hacks. As an example, during the time I coded Desmume always preferred demanding more CPU than hacking stuff, and there were other emulators that took the other route, and didn't start to say they were crap just because they focused on speed over accuracy.

And sorry about saying that what happened to Haze makes me happy, I didn't express it well, I mean that it's just something meant to happen in that kind of environment. I guess I'll make my point more clear if I say that I'll be happy if this makes the situation change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.