Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10,973 Posts
"This is just the latest in a long string of new ‘rules’ and ‘regulations’ which have left me lost for words. Just the other day I removed some Triforce DES keys from the source, we have an established format (as part of the ROM data) for such information, and storing them in MAME presents a legal risk (and the last thing anybody would want to see is MAME being sued by Nintendo for including decryption keys to their latest Mario arcade titles in the source) Again, I was jumped on and insulted by Guru for removing this, even if it was in the best interests of the project. There was no ‘thanks for catching that, sorry I missed that, shouldn’t have been there’ just insults upon insults for trying to do a good job for the team."

This part bothers me, why invite legal issues from Nintendo?

Also, Alex the dumper quit and he blames MAME end users! Yup Alex, how did we do you wrong again?

Not safe for work. Alex has da potty mouth!

· Registered
10,973 Posts
i agree not being that newsworthy, though from what you say mame devs are commies no offense but account locking ? thats to much
I'm sorry but I find the idea of MAME World banning more people hilarious. :lol:
They can always get their news here about MAME if they so desire, and behave themselves here! :evil:

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Ooh! Space Invaders Anniversary and Ray Crisis! Nice games!

He didn't seem to list any other "G Net" cards as missing, does he have them all dumped now?

· Registered
10,973 Posts
I think it was important to talk about Nintendo's IP being added to MAME's source, that was an incredibly risky and stupid decision that could cause Nintendo's lawyers to pounce on MAME. What the frag were MAME DEV thinking?

· Registered
10,973 Posts
I would think Oliver Gailbert would, I'm surprised he was so quiet about the situation here. He never seemed to be a quiet guy when talking about MAME and Politics.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Add to that once dumped the games lose their value. Once games can be played in MAME, the original PCBs often drop dramatically in price.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
SMF Can you please say why the Nintendo code was added to the source, like Mario Kart for example? Wasn't that screaming "we dare you to sue MAME Nintendo?"

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Not really. Someone copy & pasted guru's triforce readme into the source, which just happened to include a des key. MAME has other decryption keys in it.
But isn't it dangerous to take risks with Nintendo's IP? I remember a certain Japanese only game was removed due to the company asking it be removed and 3 years later it was quietly added with no comments made.

Nintendo would love a reason to go after MAME, why taunt them by adding a security code that might enable people to bootleg a game like Mario Kart?

Wasn't the CPS2 mess with great numbers of CPS2 boards converted into Hyper Street Fighter a lesson about that junk?

· Registered
10,973 Posts
While I understand that the arcade version is better, I don't see myself playing Chinese Hero on a real arcade machine any time soon, there just aren't any of the many arcade games I like around to be played.

Still I have on my "bucket list" the plan to get a Jamma to TV setup and to hook it up with a 1 slot Neo Geo board and to play the 7 Neo Geo games (AOF/AOF2/KOF94/KOF95/LB/SS/SS3) I own on it someday....

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Dammit! Samor promised me a Sega Dreamcast emulator that would run on my 33 MHZ 386 Laptop with 4 meg of memory via Win 3.11, and store GD ROMs on high density 3 1/2 floppy disks... I just "backed up" soul calibur onto ~1000 Disks so I could play it! Now what am I to look forward to? and it was going to look "arcade perfect" on 16 colors too!

ROTFLMAO ;)

Maybe Samor can give me Metal Gear Solid on 3 1/2 high density floppies for my 33 mhz computer. I'm sure it would run great on the 386 via windows 3.11!!!!!

:p

J/K

· Registered
10,973 Posts
I disagree it was useless, at least some discussion was made and even a MAME DEV, Oliver Gailbert, agreed with me that putting the Nintendo Decryption Information about Triforce wasn't a sound or legal idea, but apparently Guru got his way and they are in the source :cry: :(

· Registered
10,973 Posts
This was listed from the MAME 131u3 readme...

"Added Guru-readme(TM) for Triforce. [Guru]"

· Registered
10,973 Posts
A guru readme is a description of pcbs, placement of chips, references etc. The key was only a small part of it, and was removed. The HazeDrama[tm] happened when, instead of just removing the key, he removed everything in a "I can't be bothered to just remove the key, that would require effort" fashion.

OG.
Thanks for the heads up on what happened...

:thumb:

· Registered
10,973 Posts
The original game's one. Not MAME's fault if it looks like crap. Half of the 3D games only made use of a 15KHz monitor in the first place (like Psychic Force for instance, 320x240). As Paratech's signature on MW says - "MAME, not just for preserving Pac Man, but for preserving all games, even the crappy and unfinished ones..."

High res is for kiddies and only makes the games even more slower. We don't need another ZiNc as of 2009 anyway, just look at the forum. I'm genuinely surprised that so many people are still using ePSXe just for the graphical goodies, I gave that up when I downloaded pSX 1.3.
I get the impression Zinc is dead as well, but maybe Arbee will surprise up. I like Haze even if we've had issues with each other on occasion. I don't see the need to make games look better in the arcade, other than being spoiled by the Dreamcast Soul Calibur, I tend to like the original arcade games as they were meant to be played.

Heh, I thought all traces of me were purged off MAME World and EmuChrist! LOL He who must not be named! :evil: :lol: :p

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Um the coders of Zinc are MAME coders!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.