Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Sounds like they need some ego management. They really let personal pride get before the common interest in the project. A shame it has to end like this for people who are driven by such a passion for coding.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Squall, go easy. No need to have yet another mame thread closed :p

Squall said:
which makes mame not an emulator, its a simulator.
Good point, we're an emulation forums. Thread closed.

j/k

Anyway, if these are their ethics, you can rant all you want but in the end you have to accept them. Otherwise, branching out would be an option. Perhaps it will happen in the future. If you've been this dedicated for a long time, I can understand from Haze's point you at least would like a break before starting to branch out immediately, just some cool down period for reflection.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
as smf mentioned, squall got the terms mixed up.

but it also depends on what 'level' you're talking about.
most of what we usually refer to as 'emulators' here, are emulators at the logic level, and can be thought of as simulators for lower-levels.
Yeah, I see, I'm not going into a debate either, nor will I lock this thread when it leads to an interesting debate like this. I just wanted to throw in something more lighthearted :)

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
believe what you want form something for the comunity mame has become a documentation project, what for when manny of the emulated systems are well documented.

if there emulator is not supposed to play the games that the hardware was meant for whats the point.

liek i said before i dont give a rat's ass what the current dev's believe or there ethics, i know when mame was first created users eaggerly awaited to see what games were added as working in order to play these games.

i have lived in a great period of time and have played my favourite games while still in the arcade and that experience i will truelly never forget,

so if the project is just to document how the hardware works and not about the games.

that my friend is fail , an epic fail.

PEOPLE USE EMULATORS TO PLAY GAMES
And authors write their code for their intentions. They only publish it at their leisure, but that does not mean it was written for you to get the exact arcade-fast experience. As said here before, if you want the arcade experience at home, get a port of the game, get a Dreamcast.

Their goal is to achieve perfect accuracy and it is not in their interest to have it run as fast as possible. That is their decision, and it is their goal to achieve this, and yours to respect. Feel free to disagree with their decision, but when it's about ethics and morals, no one is wrong or right.

And actually, most emulators are started for either of the two following reasons:
1. Proof of concept, that software can be run on hardware it was not made for
2. Proof of personal coding skills

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.