Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm completely new to the world of video game emulation but I have played video games for a long time, and would like to rip my own video game ROMs (if this is even possible, I really don't know :D).

I would like to start with the N64, as its my favorite older Nintendo system, but is it too big of an endeavor or is it as simple as buying a few different expansion-like things for my N64?

Thanks everyone!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
Dumping N64 ROMs from the original cartridges is a very involved process. You will need a high level of electronics know-how and at least an EEPROM programmer. The N64 devkit modules make the process quite a bit easier but are very hard (and often expensive) to find these days.

In short, it's a complicated process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your helpful response,

Well, sounds a little disappointing, is there another system like the SNES, that would be easier to rip ROMs for?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
All cartridge based games require a similar setup, though by means of a modified dumping process. Then there's the games with encryption. Some of these can be dumped in decrypted form just by jumpering some bypasses. Others must be run through decrypting software. Many can be dumped in their raw (encrypted) form and the emulator can handle the decryption on the fly.

The easiest games by far to rip are the disc (CD/DVD) based games, particularly the PS1 and PS2 games. Wii, Gamecube, and Dreamcast require special homebrew and exploits to dump their respective games. Though in the case of the Wii and Gamecube discs, certain specific LG DVD-ROMs can be used in lieu of a homebrew enabled Wii. Still, after you have acquired the necessary hardware and software, these games are simple to rip.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
...in other words, you'll need a specific hardware to dump cartridge games dude. They are quite expensive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have read about using the computer's Parallel port for connecting Cartridges pins and making use of a special program that reads the Rom chip and transfers it onto a file. This is only from memory and I think you have to have a Scart cable as well? I may be referring to the traditional way but there are better ways to do it these days.....

·
THEcatridgeLOADER
3 Posts
Making Cartridge Loader

I am Hoping to make a cartridge loader and would like to know how or know a link for how to make a cartridge loader that can connect to a pc

THEcartridgeLOADER

1 - 8 of 8 Posts