Next Generation Emulation banner

How do you feel about MAG?

• Sounds awesome.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't know, sounds interesting but will have to wait and see.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Doesn't seem like my cup of tea

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Go suck a knob.

Votes: 3 21.4%

MAG : 256 players in one online FPS game. Your opinions

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  sgsavvy 
#1 ·

So apparently theres going to be FPS game that is heavily online focused. They aim to get 256 players in one online game. Judging from early previews, they seem to have the technology in place to keep the framerate up and lag down.

The setting is supposed to be a modern day shooter with authentic weapons. There will be a strong focus on getting people to stay in 8 player groups, by way of giving special incentives (ie. if you stay in your squad, you get faster weapon reloads, better accuracy, etc), but not enough to overthrow the balance in the game.

Here are some reviews and some quotations :

Hands-On: 'MAG' - G4tv.com

"The battle we played in was lag-free, and, although I can’t say for sure, seemed to live up to Zipper’s stated goal of at least 30 FPS – at no point did game play feel stuttery, disjointed or interrupted. It was smooth. Of course, we were playing the game under optimum conditions – in Zipper’s studio and with only half of the player cap."
Joystiq hands-on: MAG

Speaking of lone wolf players, the game will allow you to run off and do whatever you want and won't punish you for it. But players who stick close with their squads and platoons will find they get a bevy of bonuses, including things like faster reload times, the ability to run faster, or maybe increased accuracy. In-game, this was a fantastic way to make you want to stay with your squad, since the benefits are quite tangible (though not powerful enough to threaten the balance).
I just wanted to hear what you guys here think about this prospect. 256 players in an FPS to me sounds insane and will possibly blow out my fragile mind (seeing as how I couldn't really handle the Battlefield series), but still sounds quite interesting.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a brilliant idea, with that many players on map it will be something else. One thing that I really like the thought of is having the small 8 group work as a focused group. Considering that there will be many many different groups with assuming different objectives it will ideally remove the clustered effect that could happen if the game were designed like Unreal Tournament, but by having smaller goals for each game type, it really could be incredible to just log in as a spectator and watch a few different squads go about their business.

Oh the possibilities of this project are humongous.

#3 ·
i heard about this a while ago, it sounds good, but how the hell are they going to get 256 people connected without lag.

#4 ·
The good part : It sounds like a new kind of Battlefield, now that the BF games are... Meh. (I'm not impressed by what I've seen of 1943, not sure I like how the game seems to handle. Heroes is a damn joke and the beta doesn't change my opinion of that.)
The bad part : It's quite doubtful that they'll reach their goal, it's more likely that they will uses this as a way to attract people, at which point they'll be overwhelmed, and people will end up having to play with a smaller number of players (64, 128) to get decent performance.

They could still surprise us, but this seems to fit in the "too good to be true" category.
I personally prefer games with 64 players tho, so it's not actually such a loss for me, except for the game being a PS3-exclusive. I don't like playing Online with console FPS, but if (when) I buy a PS3 this would definitely be a game I'd give a shot, I like the style of it.

#5 ·
Bleh, 5, 12, 100... Why raise the number of noobs you get shot into back by... Besides, I'm not into webgames at all. The only games I've played online are WoW, SOFII, Diablo II and Quake 3 Arena... Never really got into any of them.

And yes, I voted the last option... I won't start ranting why as it would go offtopic but lets just say I hate how they're starting to make games with online features only!:mad:

#8 ·
And yes, I voted the last option... I won't start ranting why as it would go offtopic but lets just say I hate how they're starting to make games with online features only!:mad:
Diversity is good, being online-only makes it possible to focus on things that they couldn't focus on otherwise. (Such a kind of game but single-player would be horrible to play, the AI would make it a huge pain to play, impossible to enjoy.)

If they eventually end up making these kind of games ONLY, that will become a real problem, but we're not close to such a thing happening yet. (Is there more of them? Sure. But we're still not close to this kind of games being the only thing left to play.)

There's nothing wrong with these games existing as long as they're not our only choice.

#10 ·
Diversity is good, being online-only makes it possible to focus on things that they couldn't focus on otherwise. (Such a kind of game but single-player would be horrible to play, the AI would make it a huge pain to play, impossible to enjoy.)

If they eventually end up making these kind of games ONLY, that will become a real problem, but we're not close to such a thing happening yet. (Is there more of them? Sure. But we're still not close to this kind of games being the only thing left to play.)

There's nothing wrong with these games existing as long as they're not our only choice.
Try telling that to KOTOR fans... After the failtastic KOTOR 2 we now get a f****ng MMORPG! Yay look! Million jedis with their lightsabers!!!:angry:

Well, at least there's still Mass Effect 2...

I seriously don't want to play with stupid people! I have to interact with them enough in real life!

#12 ·
Try telling that to KOTOR fans... After the failtastic KOTOR 2 we now get a f****ng MMORPG! Yay look! Million jedis with their lightsabers!!!:angry:
I'm a KoToR fan, and while I'm sad they're not making KotoR3, I don't care about a MMO. It's not like a MMO will ruin the fun I've had with previous games, nor am I forced to play it. And if I want to play a good single-player RPG from Bioware, I can still play them, they're not gonna stop making them. (like I said, there's more of them, but it's not like there was ONLY that. They still have Dragon Age, the Mass Effect series, and some untitled game coming.)

It just increases diversity to reach a wider audience, which is actually a good thing. There's nothing wrong in making games for a greater range of players, as long as they don't end up ignoring SP fans, which they're far from doing.
(it's normal to not like MP games, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't make them, ever)

#13 ·

Well, at least there's still Mass Effect 2...

I seriously don't want to play with stupid people! I have to interact with them enough in real life!
Don't see what the problem is. Single player/multiplayer mode games vastly outnumber only online games. Just because a game carries a name of a certain game series doesn't mean it has anything to do with the others. Usually these online only games have a play style and features where you need to cooperate with other people to get things done. Like FFXI for example.

The Old Republic game coming out is an MMO. I doubt it's story is going to have anything to do with the previous games, but they could always screw it up somehow...

like Blizzard did to WoW. They get a fail mark from me for involving their lore and major character deaths in their online game.

#15 ·
Screw mmos, I want KOTOR 3.
Yeah, how DARE they make a game that you don't like (or at least, assume that you won't like).

If they ever made KoToR 3, I'd just want them to stop working on the Mass Effect series. They may as well focus on one "sci-fi" series (not the best way to describe SW, but oh well) at a time and the KoToR universe is much more interesting than Mass Effect's. It could still get much more interesting with ME2 tho, which would be quite nice.

(This thread is also not on-topic anymore, in which case I'll simply say that it would be nice to see it being ported on PC, this MAG game)

#17 ·
Eww ps3 only? no thanks. Good concept though.

#19 ·
agreed, but thats why i am a PC man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.