Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I agree... Mafia was a perfect way to show how you can have most of the good parts from GTA but still have hell of a story too... I just hope they'll improve the character control as Tommy was pretty stiff in Mafia.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
A shame the physics are a bit messed up (referring to the scene where he's hanging out of the window), otherwise this game looks like a winner to me! Can't wait to play it, it's one of the reasons why I got myself a beefy PC :D

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Koko, you're the first person I've heard saying that. Mafia is a classic and those games don't even come close in any way. Mafia was a masterpiece which comes by only once every 5 years. I like these type of games much more than the open stuff like GTA.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
"gameplay is amazing"

Yeah, no. I've recently started playing Mafia (for the first time, to see what the fuzz was all about) and the gameplay is a big pile of poop.

You spend most of the game locked in a 40's car, driving around like an idiot and getting fined by the police for going over 40 km/h. Let's not even mention what happens when you run through the red light. IT IS NOT FUN DRIVING AROUND WHEN POLICE ARE ALWAYS ON YOUR ASS! I hope the developer realises that.

Gun shooting can be fun, but poor hit detection and enemies that can hit you blindfolded make the game a frustrating experience. Melee attacks also suck, considering you have to fall down on your knees and pray that your attack hits something.

The only bright spot is the story, but if I want a Mafia story I'll just watch The Godfather.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
"gameplay is amazing"

Yeah, no. I've recently started playing Mafia (for the first time, to see what the fuzz was all about) and the gameplay is a big pile of poop.

You spend most of the game locked in a 40's car, driving around like an idiot and getting fined by the police for going over 40 km/h. Let's not even mention what happens when you run through the red light. IT IS NOT FUN DRIVING AROUND WHEN POLICE ARE ALWAYS ON YOUR ASS! I hope the developer realises that.

Gun shooting can be fun, but poor hit detection and enemies that can hit you blindfolded make the game a frustrating experience. Melee attacks also suck, considering you have to fall down on your knees and pray that your attack hits something.

The only bright spot is the story, but if I want a Mafia story I'll just watch The Godfather.
If you would like to play GTA, please play it. I'm usually annoyed with police just driving by when you drive as if it's BurnOut and they don't do anything until you run someone over. It adds another layer of excitement and also heightened the anticipation for the mission for me. It made the game more immersive. The shooting was okay, these guns weren't sniper rifles from an FPS, but ye olde tommies.

Mafia is classic, one of my favourite games :) Just graphics are not the best, but gameplay is amazing :)
Put it in perspective, back then the graphics were brilliant, especially the character design and the overall atmosphere. I don't know about this one, it seems we've run into a bit of a wall, especially when it comes to textures, that are all made to cater the consoles :(

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
If you would like to play GTA, please play it. I'm usually annoyed with police just driving by when you drive as if it's BurnOut and they don't do anything until you run someone over. It adds another layer of excitement and also heightened the anticipation for the mission for me. It made the game more immersive. The shooting was okay, these guns weren't sniper rifles from an FPS, but ye olde tommies.
It adds another layer of boring. I don't want a game that tries to imitate real life. And shooting was definetly not okay because I constantly miss (and it's not like I'm that bad at shooting that I aim at the walls and hope the bullet richochets into my enemy's skull) and they constantly hit. The only thing I thought was kinda cool was the health recovery system.

But let's just agree to disagree and not push this discussion for 5 (possibly more) pages. I don't like the game, you and a bunch of other people do. I'm in the minority. My opinion is just a speck of sand in the desert.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I definetly enjoyed playing Mafia. It had great story, good atmosphere. And i also liked driving those slow cars with that jazz style(or something like that) music playing in the background:D

It was just buggy as hell but is definetly a classic game. And i hope the new mafia will be as good and i also really hope that it wont be another (just shooting enemies) game. Well there should be a good team working in this so it looks pretty promising game.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Nice game. but it's a Lame game as Scarface/Godfather..

Thanks for sharing Demi.
Godfather was just too damn short. I sat down in front of my friend's PS2 and ate through 35% of the game within 1 hour (and that's including a lot of goofing around with my friend)

Koko, you're the first person I've heard saying that. Mafia is a classic and those games don't even come close in any way. Mafia was a masterpiece which comes by only once every 5 years. I like these type of games much more than the open stuff like GTA.
IMO, the game's open exploration style is similar to GTA, but GTA still beats it. I mean, where else can I climb a mountain on a monster truck and parachute off the summit?

"gameplay is amazing"

Well....its how the game is. You can always lock the speed so that it never goes above 40 even if you accelerate. Gun shooting was pretty good IMO, it's not as easy as many other games, requires a fair bit of accuracy. And the fact that your enemies can easily shoot you and zap one-third of your health in one shot (even 90% if they manage to get a head-shot) just makes it all the more challenging and fun.

It adds another layer of boring. I don't want a game that tries to imitate real life. And shooting was definetly not okay because I constantly miss (and it's not like I'm that bad at shooting that I aim at the walls and hope the bullet richochets into my enemy's skull) and they constantly hit. The only thing I thought was kinda cool was the health recovery system.
The guns weren't AK-47s or M-16s :lol: Anyway, you could almost always find a good spot from where you can take all your enemies out. I remember this task was specially hard in a mission on the air-port cuz there were snipers on top of the control towers and inside the hangars, but hey! It made the game even more fun!

But let's just agree to disagree and not push this discussion for 5 (possibly more) pages. I don't like the game, you and a bunch of other people do. I'm in the minority. My opinion is just a speck of sand in the desert.
Ooops...didn't see that there :heh:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
IMO, the game's open exploration style is similar to GTA, but GTA still beats it. I mean, where else can I climb a mountain on a monster truck and parachute off the summit?
Hehe, yeah but it was never the intention to be that open. Only to offer you the freedom within limits of the story. It's not a sandbox game.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.