Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microsoft gambles that "Starter" edition dissatisfaction will boost revenues | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

"Come the release of Windows 7 OEMs will be able to offer their customers the OS in four flavors - Starter, Home Premium, Professional (equivalent to Vista’s Business edition) and Ultimate. The cheapest of these flavors will be Starter and this is being touted by Microsoft as the best OS for low-cost systems. Problem with Starter is that is has one serious limitation - you can only run a maximum of three applications at any one time."

Can they get away with this???

So does Firewall count as an app? Anti virus?

Music Player? oO

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Windows Vista editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows Vista Starter
Much like its predecessor, Windows XP Starter Edition, this edition sells in 139 countries such as Russia, Brazil, People's Republic of China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Thailand. Microsoft does not make it available in developed technology markets such as the United States, Canada, the European Union, Australia, New Zealand, or Japan (although users can install a three day trial-version from the 32-bit DVD).[4] [5] Vista Starter has significant limitations, such as allowing a maximum of three applications with a user interface at once, not accepting incoming network connections, and a physical memory limit of 1 GB. Unlike other editions, a 64-bit version of Starter Edition has not been released.[6] It supports AMDs Athlon XP, Duron, Sempron and Geode processors, and Intel's Celeron, Pentium III processors and certain models of Pentium 4. The usable portion of the hard disk has a limit of 250 GB. Starter Edition comes with some locale-specific desktop wallpapers not found in other editions of Vista.
It's for really old ass PCs and "developing countries." I guess the people who pirate it a lot??

·
Registered
41 Posts
...woah xD, you know what this starter talk remember me of? those starter decks of card games, and one thing i remember very clearly about them...they sucked, badly :D, i wonder why im feeling the same about this starter

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your $280 netbook comes with windows 7!! Oh, you wanted to play music while on it while you surfed the net? But you have antivirus running. I guess you need Ultimate, its yours for $400"

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.