Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=31747

On Monday 12th December, Francisco Javier Ocasio Gotay aka KoL received a Microsoft legal threat regarding a theme he released 5 months ago. Not content with threatening innocent bloggers on material related to Windows Vista, the company is moving onto its next attack plan by demanding that ported themes from Vista visual styles back to Windows XP be removed.
Absolutely wrong. If you check out KoL's deviant art he has listed all of the other vista visual rips out there only on the top two skinning websites. Now I could understand if thoes warmongers went out and removed every vista ripoff out there, but it seems they only went after the good one.

Makes me wonder how apple feels about having their designs ripped off and thrown together into even uglier windows visual styles :p

·
[Insert Ad Here]
334 Posts
My feeling exactly Reich. Hell the main reason I bought WindowBlinds 5 was Kol's theme. I was looking forward to him updating his theme as Vista progressed but it seems that won't happen now. :mad:

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well i'm using it right now so hah! Yea, what a bunch of douches. It's not like we wanna get Vista for it's pretty looks and this is going to make us keep P forever or something. We're just so excited for Vista we want to see it now! :p

M$ is really dumb sometimes.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I mean there's hundreds, maybe even thousands of themes that looks basically exactly the same as luna, and yes, I know, Vista isn't released yet, but why should that matter.

Plus it isn't exactly the same, and there new taskbar and start menu in the latest beta looks completely different.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how m$ surpass themselves in their dumbness, anothe crap for them but anyways, thousands of users are using the skin by the moment :D, but is sad.. good luck to Kol.

Sincerely Shin Mike

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
I'm not sure if skin design does not fall thru a loophole in Copyright law.

Nonetheless, Microsoft is obviously just venting.... Covered or not, it's not something worth the hassle to go after.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
I don't think any of us have the right to call M$ dumb really. Seeing how no other software company have accomplished what they have. It's obviously a tactic just to show people that.... you can't do whatever you want we can stop you.. kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well that kind of attitude is of a company that is being a bully, and if you know anything about bullies, it usually has something to do with trouble at home ... ;) *cough* Xbox 360 *cough*

No, we don't exactly know the reasoning behind this little spiel, but M$ is being a littleover the top. I mean considering the thousands of other skins and themes that look identicle to their other official themes.

·
Miserable Bugger
1,094 Posts
Yes how dare Microsoft try and protect a theme they have spent time and money developing. I mean how dare they stop someone stealing it and porting it to another operating system (even if it is one of their own).

Come on guys, Microsoft is only protecting their stuff. If Kol has built his themes from scratch himself to resemble Vista then I'll agree Microsoft is being heavy handed but the first post in this thread seems to suggest that he is ripping the theme from Vista and doctoring it to work with XP and that is wrong.

God I hate it when I find myself agreeing with Micro$oft.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Ya because god knows there aren't themes to make Windows XP look like MacOSX or anything.

It's not the fact that they are protecting themselves; but why right now? Probably because this is their best theme, but it just gives me the impression that Microsoft is doing this because the only thing to look forward to in Vista is the theme.

·
Miserable Bugger
1,094 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Ya because god knows there aren't themes to make Windows XP look like MacOSX or anything.
The difference is those are built from the ground up by their designers to look like MacOSX, this Windows Vista one seems to be using actual bits of the theme from Vista, not just mimicking them.

Razor Blade said:
It's not the fact that they are protecting themselves; but why right now? Probably because this is their best theme, but it just gives me the impression that Microsoft is doing this because the only thing to look forward to in Vista is the theme.
Well from what I've read from around the internet, it is the only reason to use Vista at the moment.

Edit: I've just downloaded the Vista theme and I have to say that it is pretty cool, I think I'll leave it on for a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.