Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this on bit-tech...

COMPUTEX 2009: Several sources at Taiwanese motherboard manufacturers have said that Lynnfield is going to be a dream to overclock with early samples hitting 5GHz... on air cooling.

Intel has remained mum on Lynnfield’s details, but its partners are very keen to talk about it. The Turbo mode, which dynamically adjusts the CPU frequency to deliver the maximum performance for the given thermal design power, will “add something north of 500MHz” to the CPU’s default clock speed in single threaded applications said an Intel spokesperson.

Our sources indicated that you are, in fact, likely to see an extra 600MHz for free in single threaded apps. This means the rumoured high-end 3.2GHz Lynnfield chip will hum along at 3.8GHz in some workloads, which is much more than the current Core i7 processors, which get an extra 200MHz or so for free when there’s power to spare.

This obviously means great things for overclocking and contrary to other reports we’ve read on the ‘net, it looks like Lynnfield is going to hit those 1GHz+ overclocks we’ve seen on the current Core i7 chips because 5GHz is “easily achievable,” said one source. Another said that they’d hit 5GHz “with very little effort,” which could make for some exciting times if you’re a cost-conscious enthusiast.

link

whats your opinion on this news, i was going to upgrade at the end of the year to a i7 rig but now i think ill wait and see just how good the i5 performs:thumb:

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Woww is the lynnfield 32nm?

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Nope, Lynnfield is 45nm.

And Lynnfield is still not a good choice for me since:

- The socket is already obsolete even before it makes a debut. Would you buy a motherboard that has no upgradability whatsoever? :p Note: it doesn't use the same socket as Core i7, and upcoming Intel processors will only use LGA1366. So... that means you can't use anything but Core i5 on those motherboards. Period.

- The bus width is lower than that of Core i7. While current hardwares can't saturate this for sure, future ones might, and then performance of such peripherals like storage devices, graphics cards, sound cards, etc... might turn for the worse.

- Ah... due to the socket change, you need a new aftermarket cooler to reach such clocks, and again... this is not transferrable to LGA1366... unless the cooler supports custom mounting brackets.

...So Core i5 is not even worth a mention to me. Maybe if it used the same socket as Core i7.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
it would cost less?

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
@ RAP - If Core i5 used the same socket as Core i7 then won't it just destroy the whole reason behind getting Core i5.
If it really destroys the reason for getting Core i5, then there might as well be none to begin with.

So to say... if LGA1366 motherboards get down to the $100 - $200 price point by the time Core i5 comes out then... what'll it be?

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
I wont be getting a new cpu till at least 32 nm. 45nm Amazed me when i reached 4ghz easily. Hopefully 32 can do the same.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Core i5 is a waste of cash.

PCI-E bus is limited, you will only get 1 16x slot on a i5 mainboard.
Only dual channel? meh.
only 2 cores / 4 threads? fail.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
lynnfield is 2 - 4 cores
3% slower is static benchmarks, its far slower in dynamic tests

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
thats good news

i would've figured intel would discontinue the 920 because its selling like crazy, overclocks like mad, and leaves sales for the 940 and 965 in its wake.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
the only reason why the 920 is selling like crazy is cuz it's the only i7 people can afford and newer is of course always better than older :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.