Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend, my friend's MX500 was acting up. windows kept saying it was disconnected even though the light was still on. it just...stopped working. one of my other friends mentioned that low sensitivity (like in CS for example) kills mice. he said that Method (from NoA) has killed a bunch of mice because of this.

any truth in that story, or is it just an urban legend? i play with low sensitivity :cry:

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
What do you think hushy?
I would say that would be somewhat true as low sens would have mices dragged over a long distance before they can rotate (as in CS).

Another? the laser has lost its calibration/dirt bulid up in the mouse.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. we are talking about optical mice, and not just POS $9.99 mice, i mean nice ones used by gamers like the logitech MX series, Razer Diamondback, MS Explorer 3 and 4.
2. you guys play with REALLY high sensitivites oO the default for CS and CS:S is sensitivity 3. i play CS and CS:S with sensitvity 2.5---and keep in mind this is with mouse acceleration turned off. (i suppose my settingswould be unbearably slow to you...just like yours would be unbearably fast to me :lol: )

anyway, i've never lost a mouse, even a ball mouse. my sister's MS Intellimouse Explorer (generation 1 baby!) is 3 and a half years old, the only damage on it is that it's dirty as hell and i messed up the scroll button by squishing it. my 2 year old Logitech optical works fine but the left click button somehow got a little bent so it's hard to click. what imtrying to say is that i've never had a mouse physically die on me before....maybe because i wasnt a gamer until now but who knows.

·
Registered
331 Posts
lol wow you guys use HELLA high sensitivities....i use 3.0 with xp mouse accel disabled through registry tweak, so its kind of like 2.0. but i believe method plays at 1.something

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
hushypushy said:
i mean nice ones used by gamers like the logitech MX series, Razer Diamondback, MS Explorer 3 and 4.
Just to clarify, not even all competitive gamers rely on such *cough* "superior" mice.

As for mouse sensitivity being high with some, understand that mice vary in their sensitivity in games like CS and UT, and that some are extremely low-sens on the games' default setting, while others being more sensitive on the games' default setting.

Whether low sensitivity kills "nice" mice is not known to me, but it does beg to question their quality, does it not? My mice never failed on me in my years of competitive play. My favorite one happens to be a €15,- one, whom I shared my aim in UT with.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright, in order:

eternal11: i'm surprised you're back up at 3.0 now, im down at 2.5...we passed each other in opposite directions...interesting. anyway method, according to http://www.teamnoa.net/?q=noa&id=4 plays at 2.0. of course mouse accel is off.

D.D.: i dont get how we made you feel not stupid, but wahtever works for you :thumb:

klatch: i've never killed a mouse either, and i've had a lot of mice over the years. never has the mouse itself gone awry or the laser either. and by the way, you dont have to use a good mouse to be good at an FPS game, of course. but ask any ranked CPL player what mouse they use. i bet you at least a 99.9% chance they use something (i'll use your word) "superior" -- logitech MX series, a Razer, a nice MS mouse, or something similar. you dont see Fatal1ty, teamNoA, Gamerco, Team3D, or any of those guys using a 10 dollar Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse. seriously dude, trust me, ALL the good teams in CPL (and probably all the crappy ones too :p ) are playing with a quote-unquote "superior" mouse and no mouse accel....though, i just remembered, i have a friend who played in CAL-M CS about a year ago. he uses sensitivity 20 (the max oO ). that's all personal preference.

windhydra: you use super high sensitivity too...and im pretty sure you have mouse accel on eh? but hey, nothing wrong with that. my friend came over to my house and we played some CS together on my 2 computers, he set sensitivity to 17! i found it unplayable but he liked it. i still owned him but that's not the point.

to everyone: this is not an argument about sensitivities or what mouse you use, what CPL people use, if mouse acceleration is on or not. all i want to know is if anyone else (besides myself) has ever heard of, or can validate/invalidate the claim that constantly playing with low sensitivity kills mice.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
What is mouse accel? Is it the one in Control Panel? I turned that off because it makes mouse movement unstable.
I use different sensitivities for different guns (actually there are only 2 groups... shotgun and non-shotguns). I raise or lower the sensitivy when I am feeling fast or slow :p
And the pro players kill lots of mice probably because they play 24/7...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
hushypushy said:
you dont see Fatal1ty, teamNoA, Gamerco, Team3D, or any of those guys using a 10 dollar Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse..
True, I believe fatal1ty used some overhyped thing when he was playing the original UT, but I'm not sure anymore as I didn't care what he blamed his losses to. Btw, you won't find any sensible (& experienced) competitive gamer with a logitech optical wheel mouse. ;)

My point was, these mice get hyped as being "superior". Quite frankly: any mouse you're used to is superior to any other. It's all personal. Yes, these mice are targeted at a gaming audience among others, but I refrain from calling them any "nicer". I lost count on the number of times I had to say: "That little extra sensitivity you didn't have with your previous mouse does not make you a better player, mr. challenger." You don't want to know how long certain people in the top scenes took to adapt to a Boomslang, or later on to the MX mice... and they didn't improve **** through such a change.

But enough of me ranting. I'm sorry I can't deliver an answer to your main question, having severed every tie (but one) I had to some of the most intensive expensive mouse users out there.

WindHydra said:
And the pro players kill lots of mice probably because they play 24/7...
Quite some do, like fatal1ty, but hardly half of the top or pro scenes consist of these talentless people.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WindHydra said:
What is mouse accel? Is it the one in Control Panel?
yes and no. you can turn that off and it disables it in windows, but it will still be there in some games. for example, Logitech's drivers have a "no mouse acceleration in games" feature. that worked great in CS:S, i had no mouse accel. but in CS1.6...it was still there. that's why i grabbed the no accel fix registry fix from ftp.thecpl.com and it works everywhere :)

klatch: i do see what you're getting at. but, there are some mice that are just crappy. try it for yourself. i dont know what kind of mouse you have, but try giving it some fast and sudden movements across the mousepad. my old intellimouse 1.0 (not the leet 1.1 :( ) and my previous logitech mice, when moved very fast, wouldn't track that and just go nuts. yeah, not good when someone's behind you in CS and you gotta move fast ;) of course....if you have super high sensitivity (like how UT does by default, for example) then it doesnt make a difference because you arent moving the mouse very far.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
hushypushy said:
there are some mice that are just crappy. try it for yourself. i dont know what kind of mouse you have, but try giving it some fast and sudden movements across the mousepad. my old intellimouse 1.0 (not the leet 1.1 :( ) and my previous logitech mice, when moved very fast, wouldn't track that and just go nuts.
AFAIK, all optical mice have that, hence my comment on the Logitech optical wheel mouse (which I also have somewhere around here). I don't know about the newest generation, though. I myself always used the lightest logitech wheel mouse, with a ball. Switched a couple of times to several optical ones (crappier @ fast movement), and tried a Boomslang twice (heavier), only to switch back each and every time. Then again, I've always been using mice quite similar to this one, which is probably why it remained my preference for so long.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
klatch said:
AFAIK, all optical mice have that
you are speaking of the "fast movements cause mice to feck up" comment, correct?

and, if you think that all optical mice do that, i recommend you try a wired mouse from Logitech's MX series (300, 310, 500, 510). i have never had an MX mouse skip, lag, or mess up on me. seriously dude, try them on UT or something. whip that mouse around. it wont mess up. you will be pleasantly surprised :)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Don't skip at speed with my Razer Diamondback either.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts