Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started playing this game yesterday, and its an awesome game imo
for all of you who dont know its a real time strategy game with some rpg elements in it kind of like warcraft 3, and imo it TOTALLY makes up for the ****tyness of war of the ring.

right now im playing the helm's deep map and ive had to reload it twice because i lost :p but i dont really mind cause its pretty damn fun playing it. It takes some liberties with the storyline but i don't really care

its got some great visuals, the animations are DAMN smooth, the music is awesome, tracks from the movies, and some that even i couldn't recognize in there too, the voices as well are mostly from the actors in the movie and overall it just looks and sounds great

the gameplay is pretty fun especially in the maps themed around key events eg mines of moria, helm's deep, and pelennor fields, ive had to reload a few times so far in the game which doesnt happen to me often in rts games and ive figured out that the game isnt a cakewalk, the computer is pretty challenging which adds to the value of the game, i havent even tried it online yet but its probably gonna hook me as much as starcraft hooked me at its peak

anyways, ill post up some screenshots later, i still have to finish helm's deep :p

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
This one is on my x-mas list. Been waiting along time for it. Pretty sure im gonna have as much fun as you. EA already stunned me with C&C generals (awsome RTS), hope the same is gonna happen with this one.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heres a few screenshots from helms deep (spoilers?) (notice how the minimap really resembles it :p)
im setting up my base, some elves come (notice that small movie clips are sometimes played on the minimap) anyways, in the end i lost, i took my eyes off the deeping wall to defend the gate and in the meantime 2 heroes got killed allowing hordes of uruks to swarm in

·
Registered
780 Posts
I got this game yesterday, but I havent reached Helm's Deep yet. Its a great game though.

Update: Got to Helm's Deep, and barely won it. I thought I was gonna have to try this one more than once, but with a lot of luck I won this on my first try.
Here is my whole army at the end of the mission:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thats true, but the thing is the situation didnt look so great when i only had the fellowship fighting those orcs for about 5 minutes. Then I was able to call in the rohirrim and win the battle. Now I am at the Battle of Pelennor Fields, and this one is going to be interesting to say the least. Here are some screenshots that show what the armies consist of:

Update: It was more like the Battle of BSOD's. My ye olde Ti is maxed by the game and it must BSOD'd at least 6 times in the battle. The battle itself was about an hour and a half long, with all my forces right inside the gate. Not much really happened until I could call in the Rohirrim, since my Gondor army was way too small to do anything by itself besides defend the city. Then when Aragorn arrived with the Army of the Dead, the Orcs stopped coming and I was able to win easily. Now I'm going to take a few more areas before marching on the Black Gate.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like fun, i stopped playing it for a bit since i got world of warcraft but ill go back to it soon

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, you wont have 600,000 orcs at minas tirith, but... the armies can still get pretty huge, i dont think ive reached the cap yet (your cap raises as you conquer territories) im up to 300 points, though some batallions of 5 soldiers can take 20 points each... i had armies that took up 600+ command points in some maps

·
Registered
153 Posts
ok i've played this game. you can have maximal 350 "small" orcses and 150 gondorians. not much as hoped but still ok.. the game itself is pretty good and offers some fun (reminded me Spellforce someway). heroes are not as deadly as in WC3 - good thing. the "unimportant" missions (fights) are pretty repetetive though. the strategical part of the game is not so deep and variable like StarCraft (my most fav RTS), imo. if you're LOTR fan - you'll enjoy this game at least for a certain time. if you're not - you wount miss much. better go for Rome: Total War (RTS of the year for me) then. or if you have Rome and still want another RTS, go for Warhammer 40.000: Dawn Of War - real good RTSes.. else goto StarCraft :p

·
Banned
177 Posts
Just like Rise of Nations etc..you can hack the population cap. Not sure if its legal to say on these forums.."i dont see why not its just cheating " :lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
hacking population will unbalance the gameplay. and a good rts is all about balance.
oh what i forgot to say: you can only build buildings on certain places and not everywhere.. not good for various gameplay. and yeah: gawa-gandalf doenst fall in mordor and boromir cheats his death :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Just like C&C Generals, EA did it again. This game its a mixture of C&C Generals (its the same engine btw), Warcraft 3 and rome total war. The capaign mode is simply amazing and the online games even better. When it comes to online fast paced RTS EA really does its job well done. I've been playing constantly C&C generals in LANs and LANhouses but now we all switched to this game. One of the best RTS i played so far.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, though its a bit too hard to play as mordor vs gondor... gandalf can eliminate your whole army, and all your soldiers can be countered by a lot of rangers, i couldnt even get my armies into the enemy base cause they had 100 rangers shooting them before they got even close :p

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Evil relies on sheer numbers so build more units and overwhelm them by charging your troops at once not wave after wave, you'll only suceed in leveling them up like that

·
Registered
2 Posts
And...

I just noticed: if you look in the game data folders you will see that BFME is an expanded C&C engine(as posted above). The devs copied the cursors straight over(look in the cursors directory; there's the Jermen Kell sniper cursor and the detpack cursor too). Useless but funny. I don't like that you have to buy a copy for everyone on your LAN to play(it checks the CD key).

·
Registered
2 Posts
plus...

PlayerX not really Mordor can use Troll+Witch-King for some fun effects, expecially with drummers to give you a huge damage bonus. You only need ~10 trolls, the Witch-King, and all Nazghoul(how do you spell that?) to do some serious damage. The game gets sorta boring at the beginning of good campaign(how many territories of Rohan can you possibly need?). The designers should have consolidated some of those Rohan regions and made them a tiny bit tougher. *sorry for double post*

1 - 20 of 30 Posts