Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Visit www.dcemulation.com for all your downloads, except for the Sega Master System emulator, which you can find here.

My advice on which emulators to use:

Snes: Dreamsnes, it's still faster than Superfamicast, even though Dreamsnes isn't perfect as well, but it's fun to play around with. For perfect speed just use Zsnes or Snes9x on PC.

Nes: NesterDC v7.1

PSX: Stay away from PCSXDC, and either go for the commercial products of Bleem, which are well worth the small price you have to pay for them, or stick with PC emulation (and use tv-out if you want :) )

N64: There is no N64 emulator that runs games, so don't bother looking for a working one :p

GB: DCGnuBoy, it worked great for me, I never tried a different one, just be careful when using the Sram to save!!

I have never tried playing Sega Genesis on DC, I know there is still being worked on a better version and progress is being made :)
Also NesterDC se is well worth waiting for, but meanwhile use v7.1, because we don't know when it will be released, of course I will let NGEmu know once it's there :D

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Well he wanted to play games so I thought it would be better not to get his hopes up too high, anyway, check this page if you want to: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/dcnincest64.php
Or go for GPF's own site: http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/dcnin64.shtml

Anyway, about N64 emulation: It will be very hard to get commercial games to work. The DC might not be powerful enough, but more than that, it doesn't have the memory to store most roms in, meaning they need to find an alternative to extract information from roms.

Sidenote: GPF is also the man behind Visual Troy Advance, a DC port of VBA, which is a very interesting port IMHO :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ight thx for all the info. Since u seem smart when it comes to this stuf maybe u could help me get nero v 5.5.9 to recognize my samsung cd-r/rw sw-2525. It wont identify my burner and im not sure what to do. Right now im trying to get nesterdc on a disk but it wont let me burn cause of this

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Have you considered getting Nero 6?
Some time ago I heard Nero 6 can be quite a pain when it came down to DC emulation, so I'm still using v5.5.6.4. But if your burner isn't supported try to get a newer version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im kinda cheap and would like to find somthin for free that would work. I seen sumthin for padus discjuggler but im not sure where to get it or if its free. If u know of anything that can do the same thing i need it too would u please tell me

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
You could try the trial of Alcohol 120%, which in my humble opinion is the best way to burn the discjuggler images you can find at dcemulation.

http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok now i got another problem. Apparently i already had alcohol 120 on my comp before so after i downloaded the trial it said it was already over. I figure i'll just try and use discjuggler but i cant find where to download it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok cancel that last post. I got alcohol to run and burn the dj image but my dreamcast will only read it as an audio cd. I kno i gotta be doing somthing wrong so will you walk me through burning the emulator disc and the games disc. I think i saw somthing in the readme that i can put the games on the same disc as the emulator or i can use 2 diff discs. Either way it doesnt matter to me i would just like to do it whatever way is easiest

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok somehow i figured out how to get nesterdc to work and it plays fine so i think im done with that emu. I got dreamsnes and it plays the games but there slow, not sure if i can fix this or not. Got smeg and it plays fine except i cant get it to load mortal kombat 2, it only goes to a black screen and freezes the emu. Also got dcgenerator and it can only load certain roms, not sure why this is but i think that maybe it can only run the .bin files cause it wont load any .smd. It doesn't have sound even tho i have it turned on and the games run pretty slow. I dont kno if there is any way to fix any of these problems but if you kno please, do tell

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Good to see you got them working :)

I don't have any experience on Genesis emulation, the only thing I know is that sound has been the major problem, and someone is working on it.

Dreamsnes is currently the fastest Snes emulator out there for Dreamcast, but it still does not play all games at full speed. Actually I think only 5% runs at full speed. Again, there is no way to change this, except you could run without sound, and transparencies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i experimented without the sound and it helped a little. Also found out that u need the transparencies for certain games otherwise u can die without knowing it(contra with the flames on the first level) Think im good to go with those emu's, but i got another im looking for. Is there an emu for gba, i seen the ones for reg and color but didnt kno if theres one for the gba

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Yeah transparencies is also something I forgot to turn on when I played FF4 for the first time on my pc, it made the mist cave a lot harder than it should've been :p

There is a GBA emulator, called Visual Troy Advance, you can find it on GPF's homepage where I found some other interesting news as well which I will post in the news submission thread now :D

Note that VTA is a port of VBA v.1.8.0 and while quite a few games are running, it isn't very fast. Also I think there is a limitation to the rom-size because of DC's limited RAM memory. Don't expect games to be playable, but I found it fun to toy around with for a afternoon once it came out :)

Edit: Have you tried Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct on Dreamsnes? These were two particular games that run very well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.