Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 16-bit is getting a bit old. It still sounds great, but I'm looking for a new one. I would buy a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz but it isn't a DirectX 9 sound card I believe. And I hear the other Voyetra Turtle Beach cards are nothing great anymore. I've been looking at the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4. Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Audigy2 ZS or the X-Fi XtremeMusic, whatever fits your budget. The audigy4 is a waste of money since there is no real advantage over the Audigy2 ZS.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys! I like the X-Fi and Audigy 2 ZS (probably will go with X-FI). Other suggestions welcome! Or is Creative the best in sound cards these days? :smash:

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
Others do exist but it depends what you do. For gaming and most miscellaneous tasks, Creative does the damage.

I use a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. It's awesome. Money pending my next PC will probably have a X-Fi Elite Pro though.

Make sure you get a good set of speakers though. I've recently found out that great soundcard + not so great speakers SUCKS. As I'm used to using these monsters, going back to the generic 2.0s i got with my Time PC in 1999 made me realise the need for a good balance of quality.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Go for the X-Fi. I recently bought the XtremeMusic it was worth every peny. The sound is simply amazing with that card. Oh and most games ran a bit faster as well xD

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
As I see you were originally considering the turtle beach rather than a creative card, consider the HDA X-Mystique - it's also a digital encoding card (in fact, it's the only card on the market that can do that and still have hardware game acceleration), and it supports up to EAX 2.0. It also won't burn a hole in your pocket - I picked mine up for $80 a few months ago. If you don't care about digital encoding (as I think that's about the only reason to use the turtle beach card), by all means go for the X-Fi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.