Next Generation Emulation banner

Looking for a new case

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  MrPink 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new case. I've owned an Antec 900, and now have an Antec 1200. The 900 was fun for a year or two, but I'm older now, and among other things, I'm frankly just tired of the whole LED/gamer look now...(and the case is loud as heck, and too big).

I know that good cases aren't cheap, but basically I'm looking to spend 100-150 dollars on a great Mid tower ATX...I was considering going with a Shoebox case for a while, but I'd have to buy a mATX mobo, so too costly.

Right now I've got my eyes on the Antec P182; I was looking at the Silverstone Fortress before that, but the case got pretty mild reviews, and it costs around 200 US.

#2 ·
I'm frankly just tired of the whole LED/gamer look now...(and the case is loud as heck, and too big).
Horray! You give me hope for mankind.

Right now I've got my eyes on the Antec P182
I used to be a big advocate of the P180/P182 series. Truth be told though, as huge as that case is it's frigging small on the inside. The 4870 I tried to put in BARELY fit. The GTX285 won't fit in there without taking the top HD cage out. In contrast, my little Silverstone SUGO SG01 case fits everything no sweat, and it's infinitely easier to work on.

#3 ·
If I had the wad, I'd definitely get the Silverstone Temjin TJ07B :drool: Simple and elegant, yet fully functional for air and watercooling. Things a beast.

But for your budget...have you taken a look at Cooler Masters Storm Sniper? It's not bad. It really is bigger then it's letting on.

#8 ·
Indeed.

But remember: A fully built P182 is heavier then your mother.

Mine clocks in near 60-70 pounds.

Don't completely rule out mATX.

The smaller comp in the pic below will be 4 times as powerful as mine.

#9 ·
Yeah I've read about the dank mATX build you're gonna be doing for squall, /jealous

Unless the money starts flowing like wine though, I'm probably just gonna keep my ATX mobo and get the P183...then again, how do those shoebox cases run? In terms of heat that is; could care less about how easy it was to build, you only have to do it once lol.

#10 · (Edited)
The P183. Spyhop, you should take a look at as well.

The video problem is fixed by removing the upper drive bay on the p182
Ya, I mentioned that already. Seems kinda stupid to have to remove a part of the case just to get things to fit.....especially when the case is as large as it is.

That matx case is oddly huge. oO
Might as well be a full size.

#13 ·
Indeed.

But remember: A fully built P182 is heavier then your mother.

Mine clocks in near 60-70 pounds.

Don't completely rule out mATX.

The smaller comp in the pic below will be 4 times as powerful as mine.
****ing ricer. :p

#14 ·
Ugh, I'm terrible lol. I read reviews on the Antec P182, P183, and P193, as well as the Cooler Master HAF 922, and HAF 932; none of the reviews I read were too impressive.

I'm looking for something quiet, at the least more quiet than my 1200, and I've read that the P180/P182 were supposed to be the most acoustically insulated cases around....then I read this Antec P182 Review at Overclockers Online Where they say "Overall, the noise level of the P182 was nowhere near quiet even at the "low" setting for the fans. However, it was bearable and easily masked by other sounds, especially at the "low" setting" -_-

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. I'll probably settle on the P183, since it has the aesthetics that I'm looking for, as well as acceptable front panel ventilation, and having dust filters there as well. As for people complaining about the case not being long enough on the inside....I don't own 6 hard drives, so I'll probably just the put the 3 that I do have in the bottom cage, and remove the top hard drive cage to make room for my video if needed.

#16 ·
Mr Pink.

If you get hdd suspenders you can really reduce the noise of your computer. Obviously water cooling is another thing you could consider.

#17 ·
I actually just found this guy on newegg

Newegg.com - LIAN LI ARMORSUIT PC-P50 Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I went on the Lian Li website and looked at the various features and such. Even though it costs a little bit more, it will weigh MUCH less being made of aluminum. I built a friends compy using a Lian Li case, so I know what kind of quality I will be getting; I can carry his computer around on my hip lol, in contrasts to my antec 1200 which usually demands pauses for rest when carrying the case long distances.

#19 · (Edited)
I know, but I've never regretted buying anything that cost more than it should have...I DO regret buying things that I've grown to dislike, such as my Antec 1200.

It's not that much more expensive than the P183, and honestly, I'd rather pay more and have a case that doesn't weigh over 50lbs fully equipped.

edit: I've changed my mind yet again :p

I'm just not gonna say anything I've decided, since I can't stick with a decision for more than an hour. Once I've got some money coming in, I'll just close my eyes, pull the trigger, and hope for the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.