Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a decent wired controller that I can use for Steam. I'd prefer one that does Direct Input and XInput.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have bluetooth.

What is the joystick called? I want to look it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um I said I DON'T have Bluetooth. I want a WIRED controller. Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see a reason to buy a wireless controller and a USB cord rather than buy a wired controller.

I don't have an Xbox One nor do I have the money or interest in buying one.

What advantage is there to buying a wireless controller and a usb to use on a PC rather than buying a wired controller?

Thanks though, I just don't understand where you are coming from with the advice.

·
AI
5,327 Posts
It's the closest you would get to the controllers for an Xbox One console in terms of look and feel, and possibly build quality since it's actually from Microsoft. They do not seem to have wired-only PC version of these though.

But if this is not a priority for you then go get a cheaper third party wired one without the cost overhead of supporting wireless.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just want a controller that works. I was happy with my XBOX 360 wired controls but they broke and they're obsolete. XBOX 360 wired controllers cost more than XBOX One wireless now since they are no longer being made.

I just want an affordable controller that supports DInput, XInput, and works.

Thanks though.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
To elaborate on what GeominorAI says Microsoft doesn't make separated wireless and wired controllers anymore, they make one controller that can be connected to PC wirelessly via bluetooth or their wireless adapter and that can also be used as a wired controller if the user so choose it by using a micro usb to usb 2.0 cable that can be used for that data transfer (same type smartphones used). I don't know why your so on the fence about it such a cable costs next to nothing... And i think that having a controller that can be used both wireless and wired is a great deal since later down the line if you change your mind and want to use it wireless you don't have to get a new one you can just switch the connection of the Xbox One Controller (a bluetooth dongle also ain't exactly expensive either, the microsoft wireless adapter though is expensive if you buy it separately). Personally i'd get the Xbox One Controller+microsoft wireless adapter bundle though, if you look for deals you should find it relatively close to the same price of just getting a Xbox One Controller, at least i was able to do it, and have seen it on sale many times here, i would be surprised if similar deals werent present in the US...

PS: the only wired controllers i know that have D-Input and X-input switches, they are cheap, wired and decent are Logitech's F series (like the F310) but do know that Schumi for instance had one, and he eventually moved to the Xbox360 controller from it and liked that one more and now his using the Xbox One Controller which he loves the most at this moment.

·
AI
5,327 Posts
Logitech F series are horrible. I have the F510 and it has huge dead zones hardcoded into them that cannot be changed. Avoid them at all costs if you want precise aiming.

The Xbox One controller from Microsoft did not have this issue.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,824 Posts
Yeah you are FORCED to go third party if you want a wired only XBOne controller as Microsoft does NOT make one wireless+USB Cable only this gen from them unlike last gen where they gave you the choice.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Yeah you are FORCED to go third party if you want a wired only XBOne controller as Microsoft does NOT make one wireless+USB Cable only this gen from them unlike last gen where they gave you the choice.
What ? They give you more choice then ever... You want it wired ? use a micro usb to usb cable. You want it connect it via bluetooth ? Sure use a bluetooth connection. You want it via the wireless adapter ? Sure, got you cover as well.

If that isn't choice i have no idea what is...

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,834 Posts
Am I reading right? there seems to be a huge misunderstanding here regarding the XB1S/X gamepad. You get all options as well as one of the best gamepad out there(if not the best).

1. Mini USB cable for maximum performance.
2. Adapter which promise very small input lag while having the beauty of a wireless gamepad and the reason MS choose to use it instead of bluetooth.
3. Bluetooth support with a small lag but good compatibility with almost every device.
4. Optional rechargable battery packs(I use them myself) that last weeks of heavy use.
5. Firmare updates and tweaks periodically.

What can a wired gamepad provide that isn't covered on those options? which gamepad on the market right now offer nearly as much?

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Am I reading right? there seems to be a huge misunderstanding here regarding the XB1S/X gamepad. You get all options as well as one of the best gamepad out there(if not the best).

What can a wired gamepad provide that isn't covered on those options? which gamepad on the market right now offer nearly as much?
My thoughts exactly and if you prefer a wired connection, having an easily cheap changeable wire connection should be a plus imho, not a minus, as cables breaking is still one of the most known issues with peripherals but in this case it could be easily fix...

which gamepad on the market right now offer nearly as much?
Wording it like that does make me have to obligatory answer the DS4 :p, although not as supported as the XB1 pad i think its the only one that comes close to it, even though i personally don't enjoy it, since for the life of me i can't stand emulated X-Input.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,834 Posts
Wording it like that does make me have to obligatory answer the DS4 :p, although not as supported as the XB1 pad i think its the only one that comes close to it, even though i personally don't enjoy it, since for the life of me i can't stand emulated X-Input.
The DS4......what is that??? is that even a usable gamepad? :p

On a more serious note.... I personally would put the DS3 there over the DS4. The D-Pad is stunning and probably the best unless you use the elite controller. Apart from that though....that is where it ends for me as the battery life is pretty much a joke and the overall design is clunky for my taste. I would use the DS3 anyday and probably the only one that really come closer to the XB1 gamepad for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of MS gamepads design but they nailed except for the D-Pad which is far better but still fall behind the DS pads in general.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
The DS4......what is that??? is that even a usable gamepad? :p

On a more serious note.... I personally would put the DS3 there over the DS4. The D-Pad is stunning and probably the best unless you use the elite controller. Apart from that though....that is where it ends for me as the battery life is pretty much a joke and the overall design is clunky for my taste. I would use the DS3 anyday and probably the only one that really come closer to the XB1 gamepad for me.
I keep forgetting that Steam added support for DS3, i did also hear that it has superior analogues to the DS4, so it might be better at the current time dunno. I prefer the Xb1 gamepad as well, but i do admit that its also due to the fact that i can't stand x-input emulation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts