Next Generation Emulation banner

Looking for a controller to use with ePSXe / PCSX2

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Lex_Light 
#1 ·
I'm getting frustrated with some keyboard controls, especially with games that require me to press many keys at once, since my keyboard isn't capable of handling too many key presses. (I heard more expensive keyboards can handle this fine, but I decided to go with the controller anyways).

But I'm not sure what controller I should get. Money is not an issue, so just help me find the one that works for this. I noticed 2 of them that kinda stood out, it was a Dual-Action controller, and Rumble Pad-II, but I don't know the difference between them. I also saw one that had the actual PSX buttons on the controller, instead of just being numbered 1-4. Would that one work too? (I'm not sure what the name is though).

#3 ·
Rumblepad II is built better than a dual action.

#4 ·
What's the difference between them exactly? (The Dual Action and Rumble Pad 2)

I thought the only difference was just that one vibrates (Rumble) and the other doesn't.

They both look almost the same as Playstation controllers as far as I can tell... Shoulder buttons and everything. Except that the Action Buttons are labeled 1-4 instead of the usual Playstation Controller setup.

#6 ·
The 360 gamepad is the crowning achievement in gamepad technology.

Unless you wanna use the dpad. :p
No, it's a piece of cheap plasticy ****e, that requires 3rd-party drivers to get around it's god-awful dead zone problems. Without those drivers, the pad remains about as responsive as a woman texting her mates on a mobile phone.

Since you are supposed to actually own a PS2 when using Pcsx2, surely it would be better to just get a usb adapter and use your PS2 dual shock pads ?
I mean, PS2 emulator + PS2 gamepad = makes sense, surely ?

#7 ·
No, it's a piece of cheap plasticy ****e, that requires 3rd-party drivers to get around it's god-awful dead zone problems. Without those drivers, the pad remains about as responsive as a woman texting her mates on a mobile phone.

Since you are supposed to actually own a PS2 when using Pcsx2, surely it would be better to just get a usb adapter and use your PS2 dual shock pads ?
I mean, PS2 emulator + PS2 gamepad = makes sense, surely ?
So this PS2 USB Adapter thing is better than the Rumble II gamepad then?

#8 ·
The 360 gamepad is the crowning achievement in gamepad technology.

Unless you wanna use the dpad. :p
After modding the dpad thing, it works wonderfully. :D

I would suggest the X360 controller too, but a common dual-analog USB controller is a LOT cheaper. For example, I have a chinese one that I bought for $10 and works nicely (it is reserved for the player2 =P ), except for rumble that only has drivers for WinXP 32bits.

#9 ·
It's performed admirably for me for all my PC gamepad needs (minus the dpad requirements)

#10 ·
#11 ·
I heard more expensive keyboards can handle this fine, but I decided to go with the controller anyways
It has nothing to do with more expensive or "better" or so called "gaming" keyboards. I have a standard Microsoft keyboard and it takes multiple keys simultaneously just fine. What matters is the connection type. USB keyboards can take more than three (not sure how many), and PS/2 keyboards can only take either 2 or 3.
What's the difference between them exactly? (The Dual Action and Rumble Pad 2)

I thought the only difference was just that one vibrates (Rumble) and the other doesn't.

They both look almost the same as Playstation controllers as far as I can tell... Shoulder buttons and everything. Except that the Action Buttons are labeled 1-4 instead of the usual Playstation Controller setup.
Since I have both, I feel qualified to answer this. The only difference is the rumble. Oh, and one is a little darker in color than the other, and the one with rumble obviously weighs more. I wouldn't know if the cheaper one is actually built cheaper. It may be, but I'd doubt it is by a large margin. They otherwise look and feel the same. That's the only key difference.

The buttons are labeled with numbers on both. As far as I know, the controller design isn't patented anymore or something (hence all of the clones), but the buttons labels are? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always seen the clones have numbered buttons.

The controllers are literally plug and play. No drivers or software is required (not for the controllers themselves nor rumble) if the controllers are just for emulators.

#14 ·
It has nothing to do with more expensive or "better" or so called "gaming" keyboards. I have a standard Microsoft keyboard and it takes multiple keys simultaneously just fine. What matters is the connection type. USB keyboards can take more than three (not sure how many), and PS/2 keyboards can only take either 2 or 3.Since I have both, I feel qualified to answer this. The only difference is the rumble. Oh, and one is a little darker in color than the other, and the one with rumble obviously weighs more. I wouldn't know if the cheaper one is actually built cheaper. It may be, but I'd doubt it is by a large margin. They otherwise look and feel the same. That's the only key difference.

The buttons are labeled with numbers on both. As far as I know, the controller design isn't patented anymore or something (hence all of the clones), but the buttons labels are? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always seen the clones have numbered buttons.

The controllers are literally plug and play. No drivers or software is required (not for the controllers themselves nor rumble) if the controllers are just for emulators.

Take em apart Zedeck :p theres more differences than you think. Especially how it resets the center.

#15 ·
Oh, like I said, I have no doubt that the cheaper one is cheaper in build quality as well. I doubt about half the price is in the rumble alone, so that tells me something, but in my experience, it's not like one is super cheap and the other is a barrel of reliability. They've both been good to me (so far, which is the key part). It's probably less durable, but I'd wager not by a super big remarkable amount.

However, even though I don't use rumble often (it's often off), I still have the RumblePad II as the primary controller, so I'd opt for that either way. It has the extra feature if you ever need it, and it's not that much more expensive. The difference in cost is only worth noting if you're like buying a whole lot of them, for whatever reason.

#16 ·
Ok running into some problems here. I've tried several shops now, and none of them have any of the things mentioned in the topic here. Just my luck.

They only have the cordless Rumblepad II, but I dont' really like cordless controllers, because I have to rely on batteries then which will probably run out really fast.

They also tried to sell me a Chillstream controller, but I have no idea what that one is. Nobody else mentioned this one here too, so is it safe to assume that it's not as good as the ones mentioned here? (I looked at Google Images and it seems the Analog sticks were positioned differently too).

#17 ·
the quality of batteries matters with cordless/wireless controls.

NICD 2500Mah or higher will net you a week of heavy game play imo.

#18 · (Edited)
You're in the U.S., so why not just go to Newegg?

Newegg.com - Logitech 963325-0403 RumblePad 2 Vibration Feedback Gamepad - PC Game Controllers

It might be more expensive considering shipping, but it'd be better than getting a controller you don't want or know anything about.

Batteries would really aggravate me, let alone I personally just don't really like wireless anything when it comes to PCs. I just had my brother ask me for some more, and I gave him some the other day, and he got some from my parents and sister last week. This is for his Xbox360 controller(s). For ePSXe and PCSX2, the RumblePad II is probably your best bet due to being a clone type of the original console controller anyway.

#19 ·
I'm not from USA. But it's a habit of me to choose USA for location in whatever I do. There are some forums that I'm on that will set most settings in my native language which is annoying. So I pick USA to get everything in English.

But aside from that, right now the shops here don't sell it. So I'm probably going to end up buying it online.

But yeah I agree with the fact that batteries will aggravate me as well.

@Square:
I actually never saw those type of batteries before. D:

#20 ·
The "location" field in vBulletin's profile system does not affect the languages for the forums, so it will really just confuse people (like it just did me) when you set it wrongly. The location field is required to be set here (it's usually optional), because, as far as I can guess, it probably helped those helping others with emulation problems better know the region of the user (i.e., NTSC/PAL) without asking way back when.

#21 ·
I have Rainbow PSX controller, and it works fine. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.