Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lounging around and not working has given me plenty of time to consider my upgrade path...something I can begin pursuing as soon as I do start working :lol:. In another thread, I had a lot of trouble trying to find a case to replace my Antec 1200 with.

However, I'm changing the way I'm going about this issue; I've decided I'm going to give water cooling a shot. For several reasons; it'll be a good experience since I've never used water cooling before, it will be superior to air cooling, and thus, remove the need to find a case that can rival my 1200 in terms of air cooling prowess. And even though using h2o is expensive, I will most likely keep the equipment for future builds, so it's good value.

Now I ask the watercooling buffs to step forward and share their knowledge. I'm not demanding a full instructional on water cooling-though if you want to do that, feel free-I'm simply wondering if going for water cooling demands certain case types. I know I'll need a lot of room, and I know I'll still need some fans....anything else though?

I thought I remembered reading that Phil keeps the cathodes to check for leaks? Or is that a joke...:innocent:

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Go with at least a 1/2" tubing setup. this cheap 3/8 or watever kinda bullcrap i had is terrible. And the half inch has more waterflowing at once. so it makes it work better with less clogging.

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't considered tubing, thanks for the tip bubba. Although I'd prefer to have mid, I can do full tower; anything besides this 1200.

Would you recommend getting a side window? Just to check for leaks, idk....I guess if something leaks, there won't be any time to react to it.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
I hadn't considered tubing, thanks for the tip bubba. Although I'd prefer to have mid, I can do full tower; anything besides this 1200.

Would you recommend getting a side window? Just to check for leaks, idk....I guess if something leaks, there won't be any time to react to it.
I'd reccomend a window personally. Not only do i just like the parts and the flashy lights, But yes you can see leaks (sometimes, can be hard) and if its actually got a good flow going.

And im not sure about cathodes, but at least get a little UV flashlight. certain Anti Freeze for a water cooling setup will glow a bright green compared to anything else, so you can see current leaks and past leaks (until cleaned) came in handy finding out one of my video cards was getting leaked on:dead:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
it will be superior to air cooling
That's only assuming there's one criteria in which to judge. There's not. Water cooling will cool better than air, but it's also far more expensive, slightly risky, and much higher maintenance. I know people with water cooling and the sheer amount of work they have to put in to keep their water cooling maintained and working is totally not worth the additional cooling IMO.

You can get such epic O/Cs on air nowadays.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Nice case! Maybe I'll go for this one...we'll see, depends on if others think a side window is necessary.
Having a side window is a matter of choice, if u would like to see the inside of ur case with all those shiny LEDs, then having a side windows is the choice for u.

If u are one of those people that just get annoyed by having too much light in the room and just like the place to be dark, then no side window would be better for u. If u too sensitive to light, buy one with no side window, then if u decide u want a side window, u could just Mod it or buy one from the Manufacturer if they have one.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If u are one of those people that just get annoyed by having too much light in the room and just like the place to be dark, then no side window would be better for u.
Or if you're one of those people who recognize that while at one time it was neat to see the inside of your computer, it's long since been played-out and now people who have windows and lights on their computer are just as bad as the people who have 3 foot spoilers on the back of their imported commuter cars.

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@spyhop

I have a friend with one of those Freezone all-in-one coolers; in an alienware he got a few years ago. He hasn't had any trouble with it, and from what I understand....like most things that come pre-configured or pre-whatever in anyway...those kinds of watercooling products aren't the best. I don't think he's ever performed any kind of maintenance on the watercooling system, and his computer still cools/runs like it did when it was new.

I've used that as basis for my opinion on water cooling. I've decided it'll be worth the money to get better year round cooling, have some quiet, and free up my options on case selection a bit. As for the maintenance, maybe I'm just saying this because I've never owned water cooling, but cleaning dust is just such a pain...at least with water I can turn my fans down without too much worry.

Edit: haha, yeah, I think my first watercooling jobby will be ugly...might as well hide it behind a non-windowed side panel. And yes, I happen to be a tad tired with the whole led, window, yada yada business.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
It usually goes

High end aircooling > cheap watercooling
Good customized watercooling > high end aircooling

is the general consesus. Maintaining watercooling isn't all that hard to be honest. You just take one night out of 6 months to drain, clean and refill. Probably have to buy new tubing, but that's about it. The water in my loops is still crystal clear last I checked...which was a couple weeks ago.

Plus, I like doing some maintenance on my beauty once in awhile. No different from those mechanic heads who rip apart their car and go over piece by piece when they don't need to :p

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plus, I like doing some maintenance on my beauty once in awhile. No different from those mechanic heads who rip apart their car and go over piece by piece when they don't need to :p
Hahaha, I know what you mean...I love taking apart my computer and cleaning everything. Having water cooling will just make the process longer and more enjoyable:thumb:

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
They have the standard holes for 120mm. If your case isn't too old, it should just need a few screws to hold it in place. Many, though, mount their radiator outside the case for better cooling. Takes quite a bit more room, but it's the most efficient.

I myself decided to have everything in the box. My monster of a case could barely fit under my desk anyways, so mounting a rad outside just wasn't doable.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Sorry Mr Pink, I forgot about your PM XD

But anyway, yes, I keep the cathodes to see if I have sprung a leak lol (long story)

And Spyhop, maintaining a water setup is hardly more maintenance intensive....just clean the radiator every 2 weeks, flush the system every 10 months.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.