Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
MY 2nd rig (Tualatin Celeron 1.2 @ 1.7) with an MSI FX 5200 runs HL-2 great too @ Directx 8 codepath, high models/textures, high shader detail, 1024x768.

HL-2 was coded very very well and works with just about all + or - 4 year old hardware. :)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Uh yes, but the DX9 codepath is so slow on the GeForce FX series that it totally makes the game almost unplayable.. not to mention how the FX's DX9 capability isn't even detected by HL-2 until you make a change to the internals of the game.

I also don't think you can comprehend what I'm saying. :p

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Pretty impressive. Now I know that if I ever feel the need to play HL2, i won't need an upgrade!

What kind of FPS do you get ingame?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
HL2 runs a bit slow here though, on a geforce2mx. Im guessing the game took the DX7 codepath on that card, and im playing it at 1024x768.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
sonicjam said:
well it runs normal on the game no slow down dude
That's because it's running in the DirectX 8 codepath by default on GeForceFX cards.. :hdbash:

In the console type "mat_dxlevel 9" without quotes and compare speed to how it was before you made that change.

And btw, what is that horrible looking thing in your avatar? :???:

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I can play HL2, with nice FPS, everything @MEDIUM, 800x600 on my 3-year-old MX440-se.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Its just developer hype saying you need an uber system to play their games, sure having a kick ass system helps but still my uncle plays Doom 3 on a 1.4 ghz Celeron, 512 MB ram and a 64 MB built in video card, and according to all the magizine articles they suggested a GF 6800 GT 256 MB DDR ram, and a hefty proc someone was getting paid to say that and I would too if I were getting paid to say you need this kinda hardware when you don't.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
Ha! you think thats great? i play halflife2 on nearly full graphics with a 900mhz Ha!

·
Registered
401 Posts
there is no way you can run doom 3 at 50 fps
I cant do that and I have a p4 1.8 and a radeon 9600

or is it possible with a dx8 codepath?

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yea, but I think he wants to know if you're running it at a DX8 codepath to get fps like that, because with all the DX9 effects in Doom 3, it wouldn't run a constant 50fps on your card. I'm not being mean, i'm being realistic.

·
Digital Designer
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it doesn't matter how much ghz says on the box the game might run an even smaller amout of processing speed it all matter by the RAM in ur pc

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
No, in a dx9 renderpath, pixel pipelines and vertex units matter a whole lot more. My rig is has faster processor and gpu, and more ram, and can't run Doom3 nowhere near 50fps when trying to make it a little pleasant to the eye.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts