Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a few things i was thinking of.

i got a MX1000 (the new lazer one, wireless/fast RF). it is an excellent mouse, definitely the best i've ever use in desktop apps. smooth use, great scroll wheel, ergonomically sound...etc. but, i just got an MX510. the pick-up-put-down-no-reading thing was killing me. the mx510 is leet for games.

but, there's always the MX518. didn't Logitech say "optical is obsolete"? obviously it's not, since their new "leet" mouse is coming with optical.

is there really an advantage to 1600DPI? or even 800 DPI? microsoft hasn't yet made a mouse with more than 400 dpi, i read somewhere that that is the limit of human motion anyway.

so, what do you think of the 518? if it's just going to be a 510 with on-the-fly sensitivity switching....seems not that exciting. obviously it's not lazer, and it doesnt have side scrolling like the mx1000 or the newer MS mice.

and the Razer Diamondback (or is it diamonback razer? i forget)....anyone have it? it's pretty damn ugly and it gets mixed reviews, from kick-ass all the way down to sucks ass.

bottom line: i own an MX1000 and MX510, logitech's top of the line wireless and wired mice, respectively, and i love them. i love logitech peripherals. right now im using logitech speakers and mice. when my MS keyboard dies, im getting a logitech mouse. the headset/mic i want is a logitech. they just make kickass peripherals!

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Logitech's stuff is pretty neat. I have a Wingman Rumblepad and it's been a pretty good controller. There's some Logitech optical and trackball mice at my school as well. While I don't care for trackball mice, the normal optical ones are rather nice :). As for the 518 using optical technology instead, I do find it rather odd that they chose to do that. Maybe the laser technology is too big/heavy at this point in time...

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah i forgot, i also have a logitech dual action controller :D

Maybe the laser technology is too big/heavy at this point in time...
hmm, i dunno. the MX1000 is a tank because of it has that wireless module and battery in it....my guess is that they just redid the MX510 a little, hence the small model number jump. to make a wired lazer mouse they're going to need to completely re-engineer an entire design...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Well I have a Razer Diamondback, a 16-bit 1600DPI mouse. I run it at 500Hz on the USB port too. The smoothness is incomparable to my old MS Intellimouse, or my Creative Wireless mouse.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have yet to try the Razer, but i've been wanting to. that thing is REALLY expensive compared to my MX510, it's more than twice as much. have you tried/compared it to the mx510 or any other gaming mouse?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I've only compared it to the Creative crappy Wireless mouse, Intellimouse and Intellimouse Explorer 2.0

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
WEll there are review on hte net for it where they have compared it, and they say it's no competition. That's why I wne with it.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah but i dont trust web reviews. mainly for the fact that i researched the razer vs. mx510 and i found that everyone has a different opinion. some say the razer is perfect, some say you have to tame it first and become used to it, some say it's great in games but sucks at desktop (and others oppose that claim), i've seen others say MX510 hands down....i went with the MX510 because it was less than half (!) the cost, plus chris has one which i've used and i think it's great.

plus im a logitech fanboy :p

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Well I love it. It's true that it does take a couple of hours to get used to, but after that it's great, lightweight, ninja responsive, massive buttons, which all click when you press them, so you know you've pressed them (That pissed me off on the mice the didn't), a clicky mousewheel instead of a .... pure wheel, and smooth as hell. I love it mainly tho because I can have the sensitivity to a point where 2 inches can move the entire screen and yet I still can get top notch accuracy with tiny movements.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah yes, mouse acceleration :p

yeah, i turned off the mouse accel on my MX510, it takes a little bit of movement to get anywhere :D the MX510 drivers are cool, they actually offer some interesting options.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
So do the Razer drivers. Doesn't appear to be mouse accelleration on it tho, or at least control. Moving slowly only takes 3 in accross the screen.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
The on the fly sensitivity is a nice idea, but because of the button layout it means I lose Mouse4 (I expect that can be solved by drivers tho). The really interesting one is the seperate x/y sensitivity: how many times have you swung round in HL or the like only to find yourself aiming above the head of someone by accident? Not a lot I'd wager, but it does happen and Y is less nessecary in most games than X

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah those are quite the interesting settings you have their.

how well does on-the-fly sensitivity work?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
/me tests it out
Pretty cool actualy

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's what the MX518 is going to have, and it's a very interesting little feature....it sounds cool but i dont know if i'd ever use it. i mainly play CS, if i wanted to switch sensitivities i'd just bind a button to do it :p

·
Registered
425 Posts
The only way I'll ever buy a non-logitech mouse is if it has a comparable LogiGamer program for it [basically you forcefully map the mouse buttons to anything and thus override game presets where only a few mouse buttons can be used].

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
You can bind any button to any key, key combination or keyboard macro. You can set it to do one thing when you press it and another when you release it, you assign it to double click. It's pretty comprihensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts