Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dolphin-emu has the chance to be my savior. my life partner has requested a Wii for a few months now but still lists Wii Sports as the only thing she'd want to play (we have a friend with a Wii and a ton of games --> Wii Sports is the only thing she has had any interest in). she's a bookworm while i am a PC FPS gamer that does things like up the USB voltage output on his laptop so that i could put in place a portable water cooling system powered off the USB... that being said buying a Wii just for the Wii Sports is something i have obviously balked at. $300+ for one title (albeit a few in one) is a bit insane to me considering what i could build in a PC form for just a bit over that..

i have been trying Dolphin-emu on Vista Ultimate x64 and am hitting a snag that i have yet to read a thread to see myself out of it.. with omegadox's DolphinWx_1643 build on my Opteron 165 Vista Ultimate x64 system i have the game audio playing but within the window i get the following lines:

Code:
Cleared code cache.
CPU: AuthenticAMD, 2 cores, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 64-bit support
D:\wii-sports.iso
Dolphin OpenGL Video Plugin
this is an NTSC Wii Sports ISO image (i know the listed somewhat compatible version is the PAL). any suggestions would be appreciated as i am nearing being forced to go buy something that can't even play a DVD due to our not living in Japan without warranty voiding modification...

- Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you figure it's $300? The Wii + one extra Wiimote/Nunchuk?
exactly.

Anyway, those messages aren't errors. So you get no video, but you do get audio?
i know they are not errors and yes i get no video (only within the box window those four lines). judging by the reactions to various keys while typing out the previous post the game is "running".

btw it is nice to see another insanelymac person out there. sadly, though, i now have to reply to that front page bit about the Apple ads...

should have mentioned the system specs:

Case: Lian-Li V1000
PSU: PCP&C Turbo Cool 510
PSU cooling: PCP&C Turbo Cool 2x
Motherboard: DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert
Motherboard Chipset cooling: Enzotech SLF-1
CPU: AMD Opteron 165 "Denmark" (2x1MB L2 Cache) @ 2.75GHz (9x306)
CPU cooling: XSPC Bay-Res/Innovatek XX-Flow/Black Ice GT Stealth 360
Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) Mushkin Redline @ DDR460 2T 3-3-5-2
GPU: 2x eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB @ 625/1450/975
GPU cooling: Swiftech Stealth Extreme Duty G80 Rev 2 (GPU0) and Zalman VF1000 w/RHS88 (GPU1)
GPU PSU: Thermaltake Pure Power Express 250W
Audio: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
HDD: 2x Maxtor 80GB SATA1 (6Y080M0) in RAID 0 (C:\)
HDD: 2x Seagate 320GB SATA2 (ST3320620AS) in RAID 1 (D:\)
DVDR/W: 16x Lite-ON 165H6S
DVDR/W: 16x Lite-ON LH-18A1P

·
Registered
15 Posts
Disable Progressive Scan and Optimize Quantizers in the Game's properties if you haven't already.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dolphin-emu has the chance to be my savior. my life partner has requested a Wii for a few months now but still lists Wii Sports as the only thing she'd want to play (we have a friend with a Wii and a ton of games --> Wii Sports is the only thing she has had any interest in). she's a bookworm while i am a PC FPS gamer that does things like up the USB voltage output on his laptop so that i could put in place a portable water cooling system powered off the USB... that being said buying a Wii just for the Wii Sports is something i have obviously balked at. $300+ for one title (albeit a few in one) is a bit insane to me considering what i could build in a PC form for just a bit over that..

i have been trying Dolphin-emu on Vista Ultimate x64 and am hitting a snag that i have yet to read a thread to see myself out of it.. with omegadox's DolphinWx_1643 build on my Opteron 165 Vista Ultimate x64 system i have the game audio playing but within the window i get the following lines:

Code:
Cleared code cache.
CPU: AuthenticAMD, 2 cores, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 64-bit support
D:\wii-sports.iso
Dolphin OpenGL Video Plugin
this is an NTSC Wii Sports ISO image (i know the listed somewhat compatible version is the PAL). any suggestions would be appreciated as i am nearing being forced to go buy something that can't even play a DVD due to our not living in Japan without warranty voiding modification...

- Robert
If she were that important to you, you'd find that buying her a Wii, even if it's only for Wii Sports, is pretty trivial. You still need to own the original console you're trying to emulate, otherwise it's illegal (both the ISO and the master key from the console you already proved you do not own).

Don't be cheap and pirate, and give your "life partner" the gift she apparently deserves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disable Progressive Scan and Optimize Quantizers in the Game's properties if you haven't already.
had disabled "Optimize Quantizers" in the game properties but had not disabled "[Wii] Enable Progressive Scan". that was the silver bullet. THANKS!

now there is some screen flickering and i noticed that the game selection screen is straight black minus the Wii Sports logo up in the top right but i gathered this might be normal since the Wii emulation isn't 100% yet. however, when i go into Config > Plugins and select the following set:

Dolphin Direct3D9 Plugin
Dolphin DSP-HLE Plugin
Dolphin Wiimote Plugin

i end up in an panic result.. two errors come around. first reads "PANIC: Missing filename or dynamic library to load" and the second reads "PANIC: Couldn't init the core. Check your configuration." there is supposedly a sticky somewhere that covers these panic errors according to chaoscode but i apparently cannot find it.. any pointers to it would be appreciated. thanks again all for taking the time to reply.

- Robert

·
Emu author
270 Posts
had disabled "Optimize Quantizers" in the game properties but had not disabled "[Wii] Enable Progressive Scan". that was the silver bullet. THANKS!

now there is some screen flickering and i noticed that the game selection screen is straight black minus the Wii Sports logo up in the top right but i gathered this might be normal since the Wii emulation isn't 100% yet. however, when i go into Config > Plugins and select the following set:

Dolphin Direct3D9 Plugin
Dolphin DSP-HLE Plugin
Dolphin Wiimote Plugin

i end up in an panic result.. two errors come around. first reads "PANIC: Missing filename or dynamic library to load" and the second reads "PANIC: Couldn't init the core. Check your configuration." there is supposedly a sticky somewhere that covers these panic errors according to chaoscode but i apparently cannot find it.. any pointers to it would be appreciated. thanks again all for taking the time to reply.

- Robert
Tried using the OpenGL plugin instead of the direct3D9 one man?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't be cheap and pirate, and give your "life partner" the gift she apparently deserves.
not sure how her importance came into question here.. the gift she deserves more over is already on the way (she wished for a child and we have one coming). both she and the child to be are of the most important elements in my life and will be to the day i die. that being said i am attempting to shovel all available extra funds into her medical care, a new home and the future of the child to be.

now i have had no issue going out and buying the game title to rip it as well as buying a Wiimote (another to follow if this works) but the fact is that i am not going to support buying a crippled DVD player for one title alone if i can help it. i know that this thing will cease to be of interest shortly (she is very quick to grow bored of something) with her hence the expense of the console is being avoided here. if the Wii in the US could actually play a DVD like it does in Japan by default then it would be worth the expense (sort of). at least if it could do what the hardware is capable of it won't become an immediate paper weight or eventual hand down/used sale item.

- Robert

·
Registered
377 Posts
that being said i am attempting to shovel all available extra funds into her medical care, a new home and the future of the child to be.
Completely understandable, but i don't think opting for shady tricks could be of any help. Piracy is piracy, and videogames are by no means necessary to survive, so the money for that new computer that will emulate the Wii could be put into that fund as well. And even if you want to do it (you're free of course), asking for support is a bit too much in a forum that does not support piracy... even if sometimes it gets the blind eye by some.

but the fact is that i am not going to support buying a crippled DVD player for one title alone if i can help it
When there's a will, there's a way:

You could always softmod it to play dvds via MPlayer perhaps, but it doesn't support dual layer dvds from what I can tell, since I tried a dual sided Matrix DVD and it refused to work.
There's linux too. It doesn't have to be just a little wii sports box.

ANYWAY, about the panic boxes, i would recommend you to update the usual things just to discard: Visual C++ 2008 Runtime, DirectX, drivers, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You could always softmod it to play dvds via MPlayer perhaps, but it doesn't support dual layer dvds from what I can tell, since I tried a dual sided Matrix DVD and it refused to work.
i've looked at the options when it comes to playing DVD's via the hardware that could do so in another country and while i heard about the twilight hack i gathered that this is something that could be bricked if Nintendo wished to.. if i am not mistaken haven't they already done that with a menu check?

anyhow.

so i tried a different path and compiled on Ubuntu 8.10.1 x64 (fully updated) on my before mentioned liquid cooled laptop (nForce Go150, AMD Mobile Athlon "Clawhammer" @ 2.4GHz, Mobile Radeon 9700 Pro). R1713 loads up fine, however, my Wii Sports iso image is grayed out when i browse for/to it. by default all of the above plugins are selected including the XBOX360 pad. would love to see if this works here as my preferred OS for this would be Ubuntu anyhow.

- Robert

ANYWAY, about the panic boxes, i would recommend you to update the usual things just to discard: Visual C++ 2008 Runtime, DirectX, drivers, etc.
everything is current as far as drivers and DirectX go. only thing not present is Visual C++ 2008. i have 2005 installed (was not aware that this was a requirement to simply run a build).

Completely understandable, but i don't think opting for shady tricks could be of any help. Piracy is piracy, and videogames are by no means necessary to survive, so the money for that new computer that will emulate the Wii could be put into that fund as well. And even if you want to do it (you're free of course), asking for support is a bit too much in a forum that does not support piracy... even if sometimes it gets the blind eye by some.
the only "support" i am requesting is that of those whom have experience with this emulator to play a title that i have backed up to an iso image via several guides out there. funny enough i recall your handle surfacing in one thread i read.. anyhow there is no new computer to be that will somehow receive funds from this lack of an actual console purchase due to the crippled hardware does not get my money principle. i know of the Wii Linux project but i come back to the DVD functionality being crippled as my deterrent to buying one. until Nintendo reverses the crippling i'll stay on my course as they have flopped on that subject just one to many times.

- Robert

·
Registered
377 Posts
the only "support" i am requesting is that of those whom have experience with this emulator to play a title that i have backed up to an iso image via several guides out there
How do you backup a game you don't own? (taking into account you haven't bought the Wii which comes with Wii Sports)

everything is current as far as drivers and DirectX go. only thing not present is Visual C++ 2008. i have 2005 installed (was not aware that this was a requirement to simply run a build).
So, did you installed it yet? (SP1 link / link 2). What's the status now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How do you backup a game you don't own? (taking into account you haven't bought the Wii which comes with Wii Sports)
haven't ever found a need to venture into a Gamestop location in my lifetime but there's one around the corner and they had it for $9.99 used. got my Wiimote there as well.

So, did you installed it yet? (SP1 link / link 2). What's the status now?
haven't had the chance to get to doing so yet but thanks kindly for the URL's (i really appreciate that). anyhow i put my workstation (the Vista system i have been testing on) through its montly chkdsk /r routine and pretty much had to find something else to do which lead me to seeing how well my laptop with Ubuntu 8.10.1 x64 ran things.. still can't find a way to select the iso image at all (i can see it but it is grayed out).

- Robert

niuus --> with regard to the Visual C++ 2008 Runtime is there any reason why i shouldn't be installing the x64 version rather than the x86 that you linked to? also how about skipping the runtime in favor of installing Visual C++ 2008 Express with SP1?

- Robert

·
Registered
377 Posts
haven't ever found a need to venture into a Gamestop location in my lifetime but there's one around the corner and they had it for $9.99 used. got my Wiimote there as well.
Then now the only thing left for you to not be on the 'dark' side (LOL) is to justify the owning of the master-key, which should only come from your own Wii...

niuus --> with regard to the Visual C++ 2008 Runtime is there any reason why i shouldn't be installing the x64 version rather than the x86 that you linked to? also how about skipping the runtime in favor of installing Visual C++ 2008 Express with SP1?
If you're using Dolphin x64, then yes, just download the correct one for your OS. And yes, you can just use SP1, i just linked both so you could choose in case of a problem. You shouldn't have any problems if all the things are updated and correctly installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then now the only thing left for you to not be on the 'dark' side (LOL) is to justify the owning of the master-key, which should only come from your own Wii...
i believe i have outed myself on that one which indeed places me deep within the "dark side". people think it isn't such a cool place to be but my Jedi master was always like "blah blah blah be mindful of blah blah" and "blah don't give into the dark side" while Vader and the Emperor simply just showed me how to choke a guy over the phone and i got a cool cape to go with that new found skill. i couldn't be happier. ok seriously enough kidding :lol:.

If you're using Dolphin x64, then yes, just download the correct one for your OS. And yes, you can just use SP1, i just linked both so you could choose in case of a problem. You shouldn't have any problems if all the things are updated and correctly installed.
ok so i know that Visual C++ 2008 Express with SP1 isn't necessary to use Dolphin from what you just said but i downloaded it from MS anyhow. is that alone acceptable to use/build on Windows or do i still need to install the x64 runtime (w/SP1) to get the use of Dolphin squared away?

- Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts