Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
oO i didnt hear about this. where are you getting it from? and 28mb? doesnt sound like a game demo at all....

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts
its announced in the official website (www.liveforspeed.net), its an alpha S2 demo, 3 cars and the blackwood track(with some practice tracks).It has a training mode BTW.
runs pretty good so far, improved graphics, damage modeling and stuff, performance is similar to S1, nice for an alpha demo :)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
well, downloading it now, 28mb is pretty compact for a demo. but i guess there's not much content in there so meh :p

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, okay for an alpha release, i only have these comparison screens for S1 and S2 versions...
1024x768x32 2XAA,no AF (strange however, that Fraps cant capture AA image...)

first pic is S1, second is S2 alpha...

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
erm S1 looks better :p Long time since i played this. I think im gonna intall again

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
actually the S2 alpha does look quite a lot better.
I've played LFS S1 a lot, and wow...they completely overhauled "Blackwood", that's the track included in the first demo as well, and I've driven it quite a few times.
Feels different now. The track itself seems smaller, but the first impression tells me the cars are easier to drive. I just tried the turbo (XR GT Turbo - hey cool, you can instantly try it in this one, no need for credits) and it's fairly easy to move it around the track and only slide with it when you want it to. Some folks posting here tried S1, and they will know the old XR GT Turbo was not quite like that.
The track's different too. Same track, sure, I know where the corners are, but it's different in many small places. The replay shows the physics engine got quite the update too, as the cars move more realistic than they did before (and S1 was already impressive on that).

Graphically, it's not too stunning, unless you played S1 I guess. For a game made by only 3 developers, I guess they'll do; mind you, LFS never had gorgeous graphics some other games had. Even if it falls short to graphical showcases like Gran Turismo 4, I think the updates are nice and the colors are a lot more vibrant. This is no game to show off your new rig with though :)

As for the slow cars: correct, The XRGT Turbo's decent though. The Full S2 release should be more interesting, as it's going to include GT and Formula cars. Hopelly that will give the Speed in Live For Speed a little more meaning, as it's just a lot more fun if its fast.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I'm about to try out the S2 demo for the first time and one thing I've noticed is the very high amount of servers (currently 89 public servers) so I guess everyone's catching on very quickly :). I also like the background pictures for the menus, the S1 demo looked a little plain with black backgrounds :p.

Edit: I just got done playing the demo for a bit so now I have a first hand impression. First off, I miss the steering deadzone setting, for some reason it's not in the S2 demo and it makes it really hard for me to control my car. I like the new sounds of the cars, they sound more muscular now. The XR GT Turbo still seems really squirrely to me but maybe it's because my controls are super sensitive now. I also took some pictures highlighting the new damage modeling :evil:. Another thing I noticed is that if I didn't have the half texture size option turned on, I got patches of corrupted textures. Does this happen for anyone else?

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
n_w95482 said:
I'm about to try out the S2 demo for the first time and one thing I've noticed is the very high amount of servers (currently 89 public servers) so I guess everyone's catching on very quickly :). I also like the background pictures for the menus, the S1 demo looked a little plain with black backgrounds :p.
looked terrible before. Now it's ok I guess ;)

Edit: I just got done playing the demo for a bit so now I have a first hand impression. First off, I miss the steering deadzone setting, for some reason it's not in the S2 demo and it makes it really hard for me to control my car.
there's several options for that; I'm surprised, as I've had kind of the opposite experience with this demo. Are you using a wheel or pad? I've been using a pad; I noticed changing the max. steering angle has quite some influence as well. I did have an issue at first with the wheel not being centered though, but I think that's a little bug when you switch from mouse (default) to joystick control.

I like the new sounds of the cars, they sound more muscular now. The XR GT Turbo still seems really squirrely to me but maybe it's because my controls are super sensitive now. I also took some pictures highlighting the new damage modeling :evil:. Another thing I noticed is that if I didn't have the half texture size option turned on, I got patches of corrupted textures. Does this happen for anyone else?
nope. Looks fine here.

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, it seems that XR GT Turbo is a bit more stable than the first, im having less trouble with it now...or mebbe im used to it already in the first one...
also, some part of the blackwood track seems "wider", or is it just me...
thedamage modeling is nice, but it looks like a bit unrealistic, i see players compressing their fronts due to some "destruction derby" they make, and the car still runs (although some cant run totally at all as their wheels are messed up already, having a burnout).
pretty good for an alpha so far

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
I kept wearing out my tires too fast with the default setup... since I'm not quite the master of car setups myself, I went hunting and found one that keeps the tires in better condition ;)
note: there are various setups available already at the official (rscnet) forums; I'd say, try looking for one that suits you best :)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Samor said:
looked terrible before. Now it's ok I guess ;)

there's several options for that; I'm surprised, as I've had kind of the opposite experience with this demo. Are you using a wheel or pad?
I'm using a pad, a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad to be exact.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
If you think 28 MB is very big, go try the Half Life 2 demo :p. The S2 demo is only taking up about 57 MB of space on my computer.

·
band
4,912 Posts
nice looking game. even tho u say that the graphics arent as good as GT4, i think it stands its own VERY well (the two shots ViperXtreme posted looked REAL in thumbnail !). it also looks like its got damage modeling :)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
[ shameless GTR plug ]

Best. Racing. Sim. Ever. CLICKY!

Got myself a Saitek r100 wheel and downloaded the latest GTR:FIA demo to try it out.. and I'm hooked. I can sit on one track for hours just revving up the engine and punching it down the straightaway.. so fun and incredibly realistic with a wheel.

[ /shameless GTR plug ]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts