Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about switching from Windows XP to Linux, and I was wondering if I would get the same performance from the emulator under a different operating system. Are the plugins as good also?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you have a graphics board which works with 3D-acceleration on Linux (like most NVIDIA cards) you will find epsxe works just as fast on Linux as it works on Windows.
There are many good plugins for Linux.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ammoQ said:
If you have a graphics board which works with 3D-acceleration on Linux (like most NVIDIA cards) you will find epsxe works just as fast on Linux as it works on Windows.
There are many good plugins for Linux.
I don't believe there is a way to get my ATI Radeon IGP 320M (equivelent of a Radeon 7000) to work with 3D acceleration.... I'll look into it though. Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
ATI has linux drivers, however, i think they don't work with IGP boards yet. Anyway, www.ati.com will probably have the answer ;) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same IGP chipset on my laptop here, and Xorg version >= 6.8 supports 3D accel, at least in its most basic form on this chipset.

I don't know how well it performs on Linux vs XP, I haven't done any real testing. I also have not tried epsxe on this system, it's used mainly for dev work and general email/web work.

I'm using Mandrake 10.1 and the Xorg rpms from here:
http://mandrake.contactel.cz/people/svetljo/mandrake/probably_broken/RPMS/

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help hezekiah. I will be putting mandrake 10.1 on my laptop sometime this week. I'll keep a dual boot with xp also just in case, but I would really like to leave microsoft behind completely.

My linux knowledge is very basic, but if i do manage to get it working, I'll post how well it compares to the performance in Windows XP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Linux OS is much more faster and perheps, stable than to Windows XP.
erm, to be honest, any distrobution aimed at beginers in Linux is overly bloated and isn't faster than XP, although it is a ton more stable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mandrake 10.0 and 10.1 are actually two of the faster Linux releases I have used, and thankfully they allow you to cut out a lot of the 'bloat'. Not as much though, of course, as you could if you were to roll your own install.

Good luck with the 10.1 install! It works wonderfully for me, I'm a big fan of Mandrake due to the fact that, from my experience, it's really easy to get up and running, and once it's going it doesn't get in your way when doing development or other work.

It won't support the IGP acceleration out of the box, but as I said, installing those newer Xorg rpms should fix that.

If you have any trouble getting things going, I'd be more than happy to help out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shinaku said:
erm, to be honest, any distrobution aimed at beginers in Linux is overly bloated and isn't faster than XP, although it is a ton more stable
Agreed.... I don't see the need to have 6 music players and 4 video players, but I don't have the experience yet to try anything other than a newbie distro.

hezekiah said:
If you have any trouble getting things going, I'd be more than happy to help out.
Thanks alot hezekiah.... I may just take you up on your offer. When it comes to getting help with linux, I haven't had too many people offer any help... usually the responses I get are generally "RTFM" which, when it comes to linux, doesn't help all that much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want an easy and unbloated distro I'd try Debian. The newer versions are pretty easy to setup, and it's aptitude installer program is great.

Personally I like Slackware, although its pretty difficult to install (for someone who has never used a command line or fdisk) its gives great control over every aspect of your computer. I hate it when a friend installs something like Redhat and half of the init is of no use. Make a suprising difference to the system performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks alot hezekiah.... I may just take you up on your offer. When it comes to getting help with linux, I haven't had too many people offer any help... usually the responses I get are generally "RTFM" which, when it comes to linux, doesn't help all that much.
I completely understand... the TFMs in Linux are (usually) very detailed and very helpful. But only once you know how to access them, and learn the basics of the lingo.

I only come to these forums on occasion, so if you want to get in touch with me email is probably best. hcarty at gmail dot com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heh, I never read the manuals... I just play around. Best way.

If you dont understand something, guess. If that doesn't work, google around a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Letme See.
I change to linux. and test te same games as windows and it runs better and fast (pete rlz) and the ammoq padjoy and it works good (with gamecon module :) )the only troble i have is the second pad wath it not work (y can map it but i can use the second one)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a warning on some newer distros, you need to install the compat libraries to get libstdc++-libc6.2.1.so.3 in order for ePSXe to run correctly. Took me a while to find it but you should be able to find a compat rpm from any of the rpm search utilities on the web (www.rpmfind.net) Once I installed that rpm it worked like a charm.

VirtualEnder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Linux STDC lib

Ender,

Would this be why epsxe 1.6.0 is Seg Faulting when i am trying to Config the plugins ???

Thnks

CJ

edit: running fully patched Drake 9.1 w/ nVidia drivers

edit 2: Aha! trying 1.52... I am getting a libbz2.so error

libbz2.so.1: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I know I have bz2 installed!

????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Neo

a 'whereis' shows me that i have libbz2.so in /usr/lib ... a ldconfig confirms it.

could there then be some bz2 archive that epsxe is looking for ??

what happens to me??

I start epsxe.. Configure the BIOS... OK!
Configure CDROM.. OK!
Configure Video ... epsxe crash!

restart epsxe... check configure BIOS.. good!
check configure CDROM... good!
Configure Sound... epsxe crash!
check text out... either Seg Fault .. or libbz2 complaint.. pending on epsxe vers.

Hope this info helps you to help me.

CJ

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
neoyagami said:
the only troble i have is the second pad wath it not work (y can map it but i can use the second one)
Unfortunately, ePSXe currently doesn't make use of the plugin for the second pad. As a workaround, you can use xjoypad or a similar program to translate the second joypad into keyboard events. Question to the public: when doing it that way (xjoypad or similar), does the 2nd pad react slower? I have the idea of merging xjoypad into the padJoy, do you think it makes sense?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts